The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="216491" data-time="1386778136">
<div>

So basically, we're over reacting and have about as good a chance as Portugal? But it does go to my theory of anything can happen and strange things tend to so I could see us getting out.</p>

</p>

What I wouldn't give to see Brazil choke.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I dont think we are overreacting. Really because the States do not have that kind of superstar that can single-handedly change the course of a game. I would argue Portugal has a few. And with the D questions, one of those players is Ronaldo: </p>

---------</p>

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/265243.html</p>

</p>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Ronaldo now has the record of becoming the first player to score nine goals in the group stages of the Champions League.</span>

-----------------</p>

</p>

And I completely agree with your theory of anything can happen. It is part of the fun! It is the battle of 2nd place to me. Germany is as close as a shoo-in as it gets. </p>

</p>

This is also been a VERY solid buildup for this Cup for the States. The offense and goaltending has never been better and the US has the speed now where the counter-attack is deadly. </p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="216492" data-time="1386778170">
<div>

P.S. Fuck France.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

HA! They barely got in this Cup :)</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="216497" data-time="1386778614">
<div>

I dont think we are overreacting. Really because the States do not have that kind of superstar that can single-handedly change the course of a game. I would argue Portugal has a few. And with the D questions, one of those players is Ronaldo: </p>

---------</p>

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/265243.html</p>

</p>

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Ronaldo now has the record of becoming the first player to score nine goals in the group stages of the Champions League.</span>

-----------------</p>

</p>

And I completely agree with your theory of anything can happen. It is part of the fun! It is the battle of 2nd place to me. Germany is as close as a shoo-in as it gets. </p>

</p>

This is also been a VERY solid buildup for this Cup for the States. The offense and goaltending has never been better and the US has the speed now where the counter-attack is deadly. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Don't you dare talk about sweet Landon like that!! hah</p>

</p>

</p>

So who do you think makes the lineup, and going back to a previous question i had that I don't remember if it got answered, do you think the lineup changes any due to the location of the events, meaning more players that may be acclimated to that climate, or will he just go with the most talented ponies?</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="216502" data-time="1386778953">
<div>

Don't you dare talk about sweet Landon like that!! hah</p>

</p>

</p>

So who do you think makes the lineup, and going back to a previous question i had that I don't remember if it got answered, do you think the lineup changes any due to the location of the events, meaning more players that may be acclimated to that climate, or will he just go with the most talented ponies?</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

HA! I like Landon. I am glad he will play in this (most likely) last Cup for him. He has been a staple of US Soccer for a LONG time. But Ronaldo, he is not. :)</p>

</p>

Man, the lineup, I just dont know... depends on the formation too. If Klins tries the 4-2-3-1?</p>

</p>

Goal is easy in my opinion: Howard and Guzan. I am good with either in the net, both have been very good.</p>

</p>

4: Beasley, Gonzalez, Jones, Castillo.</p>

2: Beckerman, Diskerud</p>

3: Donovan, Johnson, Boyd</p>

1: Altidore</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I just keep getting this sick feeling that Jurgie is going to try to do something drastic with this lineup that is going be a move that will make or break the squad in order for him to flex to the world that he's genius and knows what he's doing better than anyone else. Just something like a wild card pick that he'll start and will make the difference in a game for better or worse.</p>

I do find it only slightly conspiracy theorist that we are magically in the group with Germany.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="216534" data-time="1386783921">
<div>

I just keep getting this sick feeling that Jurgie is going to try to do something drastic with this lineup that is going be a move that will make or break the squad in order for him to flex to the world that he's genius and knows what he's doing better than anyone else. Just something like a wild card pick that he'll start and will make the difference in a game for better or worse.</p>

I do find it only slightly conspiracy theorist that we are magically in the group with Germany.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Klins is a tough coach to read, no question. I think many of the things he was doing prior with rosters was to shake it up and to make sure everyone knew that you needed to play the Jurge style or you were easily replaced. </p>

</p>

But at this point, if Klins doesnt have a final or near final roster solidified, that would show his weakness as a coach. Thus far he has shown nothing but coaching success with US holding international play records for consecutive wins. Ok sure a bunch of those wins are CONCACAF but still...</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah... I mean, what is the top ranked win he's had so far though? And how depleted was the roster? I bring this up because you could say he beat Germany but it was their B squad like you said earlier. I can't think of what the best team he beat was. I would say that @Mexico game but looking back at it now that team was bound for shambles.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, not many non-friendly games to evaluate really. Certainly not outside of concacaf.</p>

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1386778170" data-cid="216492" data-author="MassHavoc">

P.S. Fuck France.</p></blockquote>
Do I have to?

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1386781095" data-cid="216522" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive">

HA! I like Landon. I am glad he will play in this (most likely) last Cup for him. He has been a staple of US Soccer for a LONG time. But Ronaldo, he is not. :icon-smile:

Man, the lineup, I just dont know... depends on the formation too. If Klins tries the 4-2-3-1?

Goal is easy in my opinion: Howard and Guzan. I am good with either in the net, both have been very good.

4: Beasley, Gonzalez, Jones, Castillo.
2: Beckerman, Diskerud
3: Donovan, Johnson, Boyd
1: Altidore</p></blockquote>

I was skeptical when Klins moved Beasley (aka cockroach), to D...but I think he has thrived there. Still think he has strong ball movement and should be more of a mid-fielder.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Jurgs gets 4 year extension at a reported 2.5 a year...</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In other Footbal news:</p>

</p>

Apparenly Portland will host a the MLS allstars v FC Bayern Munchen.</p>

</p>

Epic!</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="216717" data-time="1386887143">
<div>

In other Footbal news:</p>

</p>

Apparenly Portland will host a the MLS allstars v FC Bayern Munchen.</p>

</p>

Epic!</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

So it will be MLS All-Star vs Bayern's Farm.</p>

</p>

If only the US "super-athletes" ever chose soccer...</p>

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="216752" data-time="1386947922">
<div>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

They will bring one or two stars to play some of the 1st half ;)</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="216752" data-time="1386947922">
<div>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

Sometimes you have to get what you can get.  Besdies, if it was Manchester United playing the MLS All-stars it would make the beating Reginald Denny took look like a fair fight.</p>

</p>

Considering how Loud Jeld-Wen field can be, though, it should be epic.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BiscuitInTheBasket2in17" data-cid="216847" data-time="1386972144">
<div>

They will bring one or two stars to play some of the 1st half :icon-wink:</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Ha! ye'up!</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="217025" data-time="1387212550">
<div>

Sometimes you have to get what you can get.  Besdies, if it was Manchester United playing the MLS All-stars it would make the beating Reginald Denny took look like a fair fight.</p>

</p>

Considering how Loud Jeld-Wen field can be, though, it should be epic.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Right there too!</p>

</p>

The good news though is that there is some increasing international stage for US Soccer. Sorry, I should qualify that with MEN'S Soccer, since the US Women should be named the Juggernauts as they roll over every team they play. </p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
UEFA 16 is ready. A couple of surprises, but otherwise pretty straight forward.</p>

</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Round of 16 ties</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Manchester City–Barcelona</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Olympiacos–Manchester United</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">AC Milan–Atletico Madrid</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Bayer Leverkusen–Paris Saint-Germain</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Galatasaray–Chelsea</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Schalke–Real Madrid</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Zenit St. Petersburg–Borussia Dortmund</p>
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(55,55,55);font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Arsenal–Bayern Munich</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, in addition to US Mens soccer getting more world exposure, apparrently the Timbers will also compete in CONCAF next year.</p>

</p>

I'm hoping the exposure does the sport justice.</p>