The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="217030" data-time="1387213209">
<div>

Well, in addition to US Mens soccer getting more world exposure, apparrently the Timbers will also compete in CONCAF next year.</p>

</p>

I'm hoping the exposure does the sport justice.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Ah right on, grats to Timbers! That will be awesome. More so for a city and area that has really taken to soccer. </p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I completely understand. It is how I feel about Suarez too. I cant stand the man, but my Herb he is good. Same thing with Ibhrahemihemivivich.</p>

</p>

I guess from playing and reffing, I have come to expect this from all strikers. I would go so far as to say I dont think I have met a striker I liked on the field. They are arrogant, cocky, lazy, whiners, divers, and babies. I, played L/R back. I, could play 89 mins of BRILLIANT play, make one tiny mistake, I am garbage. A striker, can play like straight garbage for 89 min, get a lucky head on a lucky cross that could be scored by anyone in the way and they are the greatest soccer gift known to man. </p>

</p>

But, they have tremendous pressure and you want your striker to be an arrogant prick at the heart of it.</p>

</p>

Speaking of, the best goal celebration of all time:</p>

</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1uOZbH2qNg</p>

</p>

So awesome. Beautiful goal too, but so awesome. </p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best celebration</p>

</p>

824932048.gif
</p>

</p>

</p>

bonus:</p>

832325113.gif
</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
HAHA I just laughed out loud in my cube at those.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="218685" data-time="1389220158">
<div>

Better than The Gay Ref?!</p>

</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjynbUNlvWU</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Hahah really busting out the classics for us today huh. I could never tell if that was real or just some guy who kept running on the field at games.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="218686" data-time="1389220266">
<div>

Hahah really busting out the classics for us today huh. I could never tell if that was real or just some guy who kept running on the field at games.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

He was quite real!! Jorge José Emiliano dos Santos was his name, died of AIDS in like early 1990's when it was bad (yes, I had to look up the name). Nickname: Daisy.</p>

</p>

According to FIFA, he ref'd some FIFA sanctioned tourneys.</p>

</p>

It was a shared joke when I was a ref, if you were doing the 6 and under games (ball goes this way, 20 kids follow it, IF you can keep the goalies out of it). When we would do the final whistle, you would do the whistle as he did. More so if you were being observed for ref promotion levels and such and your senior ref had to watch the 6 and unders...</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
haha that's awesome...</p>

</p>

In other news.</p>

</p>

FIFA appears ready to change dates of 2022 World Cup in Qatar

</p>

FIFA, the soccer's world governing body, has generally displayed a unique grasp on reality that often differs from the world the rest of us live in. But in two interviews with European media outlets this week, the group's highest-ranking officials have shown they may indeed understand the obvious.</p>

First FIFA President Sepp Blatter told a Swiss newspaper that Brazil is hopelessly behind in construction for this summer's World Cup and predicted that the event will be the target of protests, as was last summer's Confederations Cup.</p>

And now, CNN reports, FIFA is conceding it's hot in the Middle East in summer and appears ready to change the dates of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to avoid summer temperatures that frequently soar above 112 degrees.</p>

"It will be played between Nov. 15 and Jan. 15 at the latest," FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke told a French radio station. "That is when the weather is most favorable."</p>

But Valcke's concession is at odds with Blatter's statement that no decision on dates for the 2022 event will be made until after the Brazil World Cup, which ends July 13.</p>

Almost from the moment FIFA choose Qatar over the U.S. to host the 2022 tournament, international soccer officials have warned of the potential health risks to both players and spectators because of the intense summer heat. But moving the tournament to a cooler time of year will create scheduling problems for European leagues and lucrative tournaments such as the UEFA Champions League.</p>

It's also likely to be resisted by Fox, which paid $425 million for the rights to broadcast the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 event. Moving the tournament to a fall schedule would put the World Cup in direct competition with Fox's coverage of the NFL.</p>

Hoping to head off a firestorm, the FIFA executive committee, which is scheduled to meet in March, moved quickly to distance itself from Valcke's remarks.</p>

"The precise event date is still subject to an ongoing consultation process," the group said in a statement. "As the event will not be played until eight years' time the consultation process will not be rushed and will be given the necessary time to consider all of the elements relevant for a decision."</p>

The Qatar World Cup caused unwanted controversy last fall when Amnesty International issued a report alleging abuse of migrant workers brought to the gulf monarchy to build stadiums and other tournament venues. Britain's Guardian newspapers likened the conditions to slavery.</p>

But all FIFA and Blatter could muster in response was a faint cry of "unacceptable," followed by a promise not to move the event.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How can they NOT play in winter? I have never been to Qatar, but spent much time in Bahrain and I assume the weather is similar. I dont think FIFA world cup games in 100 degree heat is a smart move. </p>

</p>

If nothing else, it would be as boring as watching South American soccer in the stadiums that are like 7 miles above sea level. </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="218694" data-time="1389221219">
<div>

How can they NOT play in winter? I have never been to Qatar, but spent much time in Bahrain and I assume the weather is similar. I dont think FIFA world cup games in 100 degree heat is a smart move. </p>

</p>

If nothing else, it would be as boring as watching South American soccer in the stadiums that are like 7 miles above sea level. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

"It's also likely to be resisted by Fox, which paid $425 million for the rights to broadcast the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 event. Moving the tournament to a fall schedule would put the World Cup in direct competition with Fox's coverage of the NFL."</p>

</p>

And there you have it.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="218695" data-time="1389221329">
<div>

"It's also likely to be resisted by Fox, which paid $425 million for the rights to broadcast the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 event. Moving the tournament to a fall schedule would put the World Cup in direct competition with Fox's coverage of the NFL."</p>

</p>

And there you have it.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Ah so desu ka!</p>

</p>

But FOX and NFL in the realms of international soccer do not have much pull. FIFA will tell FOX to pound salt. Even more so with NBCSports buying off Premier. You can be DAMN sure they would buy World Cup. </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Maybe the most insane goal I've ever seen... even if it was a complete fluke.</p>

</p>

http://youtu.be/6CVF8xHd7Bo</p>

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1395171648" data-cid="223675" data-author="MassHavoc">

Maybe the most insane goal I've ever seen... even if it was a complete fluke.

http://youtu.be/6CVF8xHd7Bo</p></blockquote>
Awesome!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="224156" data-time="1395771279">
<div>

I dont even know what to say here... Awesome? Amazing? Sick?</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Racist... haha</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I dont even know what that was lol.</p>

</p>

Had to have been a fluke right? But at the same time its not as if that move was an attempt to cradle a ball he had to have been going for goal. Can't cradle a ball like that...can you? Im a goalie I have no idea what the fundamentals of real players are.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="224165" data-time="1395772503">
<div>

Racist... haha</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Whats with the arab announcer screaming: "K-CHA K-CHA ALLAH (spit everywhere)".</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it was actually intended! Keep was WAY off his line and he sure wasnt trying to just pop the ball over and pass to himself or outprint his mark. He did have a guy on his right but i dont think he even saw him.</p>

</p>

I think the Keep re-learned a valuable lesson. </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="224267" data-time="1395842747">
<div>

I think it was actually intended! Keep was WAY off his line and he sure wasnt trying to just pop the ball over and pass to himself or outprint his mark. He did have a guy on his right but i dont think he even saw him.</p>

</p>

I think the Keep re-learned a valuable lesson. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I'll give you half intended. I think he definitely meant to do that, but in no way though that he would be able to get it into the goal. He probably though that he could pop it over the keep and on a dead run get behind them and blast it in, so I am more likely to call it a planned fluke, or something like that.</p>