The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So I watched the first half of the Brazil Spain CC Final last night.. and I don't know the background or the details of why it was so lopsided, but holy shit did Brazil look like they were playing children. With all the success Spain has had recently I expected them to not only make it a game but probably win. It looks like they were playing thinking the same thing.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couple interesting stats here though...</p>

</p>

Brazil has not lost a non-friendly game on home field in over 30 years.</p>

</p>

Spain's first loss in the past 29 non-friendly matches.</p>

</p>

As to what happened, my opinion:</p>

</p>

First, Brazil (even though I detest most of their players as they are Vancouver-ites in my book), has found their stride and the right cogs for the job. The initial problems of Brazil seem to be worked out and all players are playing well, even their defense. They were impressive.</p>

</p>

Second, Spain. I think that teams are finally realizing how to beat Spain. You must remain patient. They are very open to the long ball counter-attack. No one has size on the squad and are very open to set pieces. Clog the middle and give them the wings since they are not looking for the cross. Press their possession as they would press yours.</p>

</p>

Spain also has a big issue at the moment with "shape" as they dont have the "false 9" player they need. False 9 is the system that Barcelona made famous where there is no pure striker per se, but using an attacking mid player with the complicated cycles that Spain/Barcelona run. All they have at the moment is Torres, who is NOT who want as that False 9 # 9 player. It is a very hard role to fill.</p>

</p>

Other than that, Spain played horrible all around. Not just against Brazil, but Italy too (where they won on shots). With as much talent as they have, I am sure Spain will bounce back, but we may be seeing the end of the "Greatest International Team Ever" era.</p>

</p>

Honorable mention Italy. Italy is also going to be a force. Italy dominated the play once they fell into their defensive play and in my opinion, have given a framework for many teams to run with Spain. Let them have the ball. Let them out pass you 3 to 1 (even though Italy has more passes). Clog the middle and make them cross, control, counter-attack.</p>

</p>

Fun Confed Cup to watch and anytime Suarez is denied anything is good in my book.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I  know I know it's cliche as hell but it really looked like Brazil just wanted it more, Started the half strong, finished it strong. They scored a minute and a half in on a pretty nice goal and went apeshit like they just won the world cup was just as big a celebrate to end the first half. Didn't stop start to finish.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="204333" data-time="1372709713">
<div>

I  know I know it's cliche as hell but it really looked like Brazil just wanted it more, Started the half strong, finished it strong. They scored a minute and a half in on a pretty nice goal and went apeshit like they just won the world cup was just as big a celebrate to end the first half. Didn't stop start to finish.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

HA! Not cliche at all! There is a reason why countries that host the Cup usually have better results than if hosted in a different location. And Brazil? This is the country who shot a guy for an own goal... IN A GAME THEY WON. The pressure was on them too since Brazil has had some issues with the squad.</p>

</p>

Spain looked very poor against both Brazil and Italy.</p>

</p>

That is the one thing that is so... odd with soccer: In hockey, home team has some on ice advantage, but in soccer their is no on-field advantage at all. The only tangible difference is there is no set length (100 -130 yd) and width (60 - 100 yd) of a pitch as there is a range. It is just the pitch and crowd and yet you will hear comments like "They have proven they can score in Old Trafford".</p>

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
Brazil may have won but wow did Neymar take diving lessons from the Sedins?</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
that was a good post count. I believe a lot of your opinion is in fact true. Cant add anything to what you said. Very good post.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
He was in rare form for this game too.</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2e4izqa.png
</p>

</p>

</p>

wag4g0.png
</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

WTHolyF???  WTF is WRONG with people??? Humanity can be so #FAIL sometimes. It is fucking SPORT---that's it, all that it ever was, and that's all it will ever be I don't give a shit how passionately you love it. </p>

supraman

Liked Posts:
So another normal day on the football pitch?</p>

</p>

Seriously soccer fans are psycho.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I was a ref, I have had fans rush the field and a couple of players get...heated. I can remember two times where I actually feared for my well being.</p>

</p>

When he kicked the player off the field and he wouldnt go, I would have engaged that team captain. You grab your 2 assistant refs right away and now you are 3 instead of 1. If the captain doesnt help, I would leave the field entirely and the offending team would forfeit the match. Ref safety is a facet taught in the Laws of the Game.</p>

</p>

At no point is a knife a part of the referee equipment. That, was dumb. I can understand having some concern for your safety, bring a blunt object. I also blame whomever allowed a 20 year old ref to work a game of adults. General rule is that the ref should not be younger than the players on the pitch.</p>

</p>

And the Mob? I saw some pictures and footage... Crazy... I read it was led by friends and family of the guy who died and certainly coupled with a mob mentality, brutality would ensue.</p>

</p>

So many mistakes... Such a stupid turn of events.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didnt see this!! AWESOME!</p>

</p>

Why was he so far off his line? Lazy and unfocused. It is proper play to be at about the 12m mark to be available to be an outlet for your D or to be able to chase down a long ball if you D may get beat. This keep looks to be like 20m off his line.</p>

</p>

But it does give an certain...understanding of the game when a goalie being 10m out of position or so allows a boot from 80m to hit. What these players can do with foot and a ball never ceases to amaze.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Count Dante" data-cid="206064" data-time="1373662416">
<div>

I didnt see this!! AWESOME!</p>

</p>

Why was he so far off his line? Lazy and unfocused. It is proper play to be at about the 12m mark to be available to be an outlet for your D or to be able to chase down a long ball if you D may get beat. This keep looks to be like 20m off his line.</p>

</p>

But it does give an certain...understanding of the game when a goalie being 10m out of position or so allows a boot from 80m to hit. What these players can do with foot and a ball never ceases to amaze.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Yup thats it to a tee. He was wandering. I used to get screamed at for doing it when I played goal. Lucky when I played no one could strike a ball that well from that far away on the pitch. That's why I wandered...plus it gets boring back there. really boring. You can only do so many pull ups on the cross bar (not that my lazy ass could do many to begin with).</p>

</p>

I should write a book about the things soccer goalies do to kill time on the pitch. Bet there are some great stories.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HA! I am a former goalie as well (although I played a much better L/R back). I used to sing songs, count the stitches on the goalie gloves, etc. When I played goalie and we would be dominating, I got yelled at for the pull ups and sitting down and such. And rightfully so... My coach then taught me about sportsmanship with appearence. Never be disrespectful to a team, even if you clearly dominate them.</p>

</p>

In other news, the Fire (for you yocals) are really playing some solid football  and Mike Magee has really changed the face of the whole squad. He is that bonefide striker/finisher that the Fire has needed for so long. Vancouver kinda kicked their teeth in recently but short of that, they went 9 straight games without a loss, KC beating them to break it. Because of that, Duka, Rolfe, Nyarko all look better, although Santos still remains the premadonna baby who doesnt get enough attention. Backline looks solid as well, even though Berry will make you want to break something as he moves from his Rook of the Year award into the Sophmore Look I Suck award.</p>

</p>

In summary, the Fire are playing some very good soccer now and make it interesting as it seems they cant get a clean sheet, nor get the first goal in any game. It is almost like they play better when behind. Perhaps Herb Smiles upon them, although He has no Power on grass...</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
McGee is great, and he knows it, he was very very critical of the team after a recent loss and I don't think anything happen to him for it. Basically called them out for playing like they were ahead or going for a tie when they were down 2-1. I was surprised to see that forthrightness from a guy, especially new to a club.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="206420" data-time="1373926376">
<div>

McGee is great, and he knows it, he was very very critical of the team after a recent loss and I don't think anything happen to him for it. Basically called them out for playing like they were ahead or going for a tie when they were down 2-1. I was surprised to see that forthrightness from a guy, especially new to a club.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

The boy has...passion no doubt. Thus far though, he has been a motivator for the squad. Sort of like when you heard Toews quoted as "We dont hate losing enough." (if I got that right). \</p>

</p>

I think the fact he has been player of the month a couple times and also a Chicago hometown boy plays into it. I truly feel he wanted to play for the Fire for a long time and his passion revolves around a feeling of this is MY team not just A team. And frankly, the Fire need(ed) this. There is some talent on the squad that is just so lazy thus far.</p>

</p>

Like Santos... who if you treat him like the belle of the ball, he performs. Dont? He turns into a russian hockey player.</p>

</p>

Time will tell, and it will be hard to critic his comments (not directed of course), while he is on a goal a game pace. But for me, it is what the Fire needed.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I agree 100 percent, he's defiantly brought a lot of what they were missing and has pointed out the rest. hope they can make a run and do some damage.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For those who may be giving the Premier League a shot come Aug 17th, here is another American player to follow if you are looking for a team to find a connection to to watch:</p>

</p>

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1505814/new-boys-inspire-sunderland-spurs-win-barclays-asia-trophy?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901</p>

</p>

Ok, it wasnt a HUGE tourney and sure the Spurs didnt have Bale on the field, but nice to see Altidore getting minutes and a lower Premier teir team like Sunderland putting together a respectful squad.</p>

</p>

Not a ton, ok, only a handful of US players that get minutes in Premier, but here is one team that may be fun to watch in the Premier land of money have-nots.</p>