The inaccuracies of Mako Mitch

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just read this on the Bears website 9-29-2018.

"On Target - Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky ranks fifth in the NFC with a .692 completion percentage. He went 24-35 against the Cardinals in Week 3."

I realize that he has missed some throws badly and tends to leave the pocket. I think both are to keep turnovers down. He has a long way to go, but the point is that all is not lost or bad and it is improving each week.
With all these screens and quick outs to the line of scrimmage (sometimes even behind it), it would be ridiculous if he didn't have a high comp%. You can't look at that number as anything impressive given that most of his passes are extremely short and his ypa is one of the worst in the league. His throws at any reasonable distance are overall terrible.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are correct but it's also how the O is run when the D sends a lot of pressure like AZ. Not his fault but yes, it's not something to hang your hat on.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But as I said in my first post in the thread, I don't think these kind of mistakes can be attributed to inexperience in the offense. These are fundamental issues.

This part I disagree with but no biggie. Point is that he needs to improve. I suspect I'm more willing to give him some time.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Week 3 was another rough one for Mitchell Trubisky. After week 1, I wasn’t worried at all. But now after 3 games of tape and seeing the same inconsistencies over and over again, I am starting to get a tad bit worried. Now look, expected him to have growing pains learning how to read defenses and learning a new offense, that stuff doesn’t bother me much yet at this point. But the one variable I never took into account was his current accuracy issues. Trubisky is/was a deadly accurate passer, so this issue has completely blindsided me. Hopefully it is just a scheme fit issue and nothing else. Let’s go to the tape:

The Arizona Cardinals gave Trubisky absolutely no respect in this game. They blitzed Trubisky on his first 3 pass attempts, 5 out of his first 6 pass attempts, and 8 of his first 11 pass attempts. There were only a handful of times in the entire first half where they did not send extra pressure at him. Basically, they defended him as if he were some developmental rookie in his first ever start.

Blitzing an extra man is risky, so it’s predominantly done in desperation, as a change of pace, or in a critical situation. Rarely do you see a team blitz for most of an entire game. The qb will eventually figure it out and torch the defense. But not only were the Cardinals blitzing on the regular, they were sending 6 defenders on several occasions. This is a recipe for disaster, and it shows how little worry they had that Trubisky could burn them. In most passing situations, Arizona lined up 6 defensers at the LOS, one deep safety and man to man across the board, daring Trubisky to beat them...

ueaSGyO.jpg

yoMwGPf.jpg

The trouble began on the 3rd pass play of the game. Arizona shows 7 defenders at the LOS. At the snap of the ball, 5 defenders go after Trubisky including both safeties off of both edges. The running back is open for a big gain, but Trubisky never sees him. Trubisky sees the safety blitz to his right, so he keeps his eyes there waiting for Kevin White to flash open. He has no idea the other safety is coming at him from the left, therefor he never looks in that direction.

dovjNRs.jpg

wJRuuoB.jpg

o9K4IG.gif

But the real issue for me is when Trubisky has a clean pocket and still misses throws such as this one behind Miller...

dq8IA2.gif

Beginning with the 3rd series, Nagy began trying to reel Trubisky back, including 8 man protections on 3rd down.

LCCIsTL.jpg

Here we have a 5 man blitz that’s picked up beautifully by the offensive line. This is where you have to burn a defense for blitzing one too many times. Taylor Gabriel is running full speed at a flat footed safety and Trubisky has a pocket you can drive a bus through.

LwEyQpX.jpg

5q5IluF.jpg

Watch closely right before the release of the ball. It looks as though Trubisky flinches even though he had no imminent pressure. Dude may be seeing ghosts in the pocket.

1-8Rz7.gif

I noticed something similar in week 2...

psSwwD.gif

If you’re gonna throw this, you gotta do it before the break. Trubisky seems a touch late at times...

W9LSsU.gif

Im not gonna crucify Trubisky for this because he had pressure to deal with, but he’s definitely capable of making this play...

hTPh8x.gif

You just gotta keep this ball in the field of play...

uaus7_.gif

This could have been a huge play right before the half. The safety comes in on a blitz leaving the RB with completely open space. Unfortunately, Trubisky could not get the ball past the defensive lineman.

bBrkbXF.jpg

QNEmCWA.jpg

WdSQ-J.gif

Trubisky throws this ball aboot 23 seconds too late...

dkRiNs.gif

Matt Nagy dials up the absolute perfect play here against a 6 man blitz. It’s basically a 3 on 2 on the left side of the field. You end up with Anthony Miller open in space with two blockers in front of him. The pressure doesnt get to Trubisky in time, as he delivers the ball in a still clear pocket. Awful throw...

4uzBVCy.jpg

rbKy0mi.jpg

0A1rHnE.png

HidP5b.gif

On this play, Trubisky manipulates the deep safety beautifully, getting him to bite on the in breaking route. This leaves Allen Robinson one on one, which is always a huge win for the Bears. At 6’3” with a 40 inch vertical, Robinson is one of the premier jump ball WR’s in the NFL. With a clean pocket to step into, Trubisky has to give Robinson a chance with this ball. Big missed opportunity...

9EM2aKA.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

Reason for optimism

If you are looking for a reason for optimism, look no further than this pass to Burton. Trubisky falls down backpedaling, gets swarmed by pressure to the right of him and straight in his face, is not able to step up into the throw fully, has to short arm it, yet delivers a strike 20+ yards downfield. This...is...special...

IXTJI2.gif

All in all, there is reason to be a bit concerned at the moment. Hopefully this bout of inaccuracy is just a scheme fit issue and not some unfixable psychological issue.

Week 3 was another rough one for Mitchell Trubisky. After week 1, I wasn’t worried at all. But now after 3 games of tape and seeing the same inconsistencies over and over again, I am starting to get a tad bit worried. Now look, expected him to have growing pains learning how to read defenses and learning a new offense, that stuff doesn’t bother me much yet at this point. But the one variable I never took into account was his current accuracy issues. Trubisky is/was a deadly accurate passer, so this issue has completely blindsided me. Hopefully it is just a scheme fit issue and nothing else. Let’s go to the tape:

The Arizona Cardinals gave Trubisky absolutely no respect in this game. They blitzed Trubisky on his first 3 pass attempts, 5 out of his first 6 pass attempts, and 8 of his first 11 pass attempts. There were only a handful of times in the entire first half where they did not send extra pressure at him. Basically, they defended him as if he were some developmental rookie in his first ever start.

Blitzing an extra man is risky, so it’s predominantly done in desperation, as a change of pace, or in a critical situation. Rarely do you see a team blitz for most of an entire game. The qb will eventually figure it out and torch the defense. But not only were the Cardinals blitzing on the regular, they were sending 6 defenders on several occasions. This is a recipe for disaster, and it shows how little worry they had that Trubisky could burn them. In most passing situations, Arizona lined up 6 defensers at the LOS, one deep safety and man to man across the board, daring Trubisky to beat them...

ueaSGyO.jpg

yoMwGPf.jpg

The trouble began on the 3rd pass play of the game. Arizona shows 7 defenders at the LOS. At the snap of the ball, 5 defenders go after Trubisky including both safeties off of both edges. The running back is open for a big gain, but Trubisky never sees him. Trubisky sees the safety blitz to his right, so he keeps his eyes there waiting for Kevin White to flash open. He has no idea the other safety is coming at him from the left, therefor he never looks in that direction.

dovjNRs.jpg

wJRuuoB.jpg

o9K4IG.gif

But the real issue for me is when Trubisky has a clean pocket and still misses throws such as this one behind Miller...

dq8IA2.gif

Beginning with the 3rd series, Nagy began trying to reel Trubisky back, including 8 man protections on 3rd down.

LCCIsTL.jpg

Here we have a 5 man blitz that’s picked up beautifully by the offensive line. This is where you have to burn a defense for blitzing one too many times. Taylor Gabriel is running full speed at a flat footed safety and Trubisky has a pocket you can drive a bus through.

LwEyQpX.jpg

5q5IluF.jpg

Watch closely right before the release of the ball. It looks as though Trubisky flinches even though he had no imminent pressure. Dude may be seeing ghosts in the pocket.

1-8Rz7.gif

I noticed something similar in week 2...

psSwwD.gif

If you’re gonna throw this, you gotta do it before the break. Trubisky seems a touch late at times...

W9LSsU.gif

Im not gonna crucify Trubisky for this because he had pressure to deal with, but he’s definitely capable of making this play...

hTPh8x.gif

You just gotta keep this ball in the field of play...

uaus7_.gif

This could have been a huge play right before the half. The safety comes in on a blitz leaving the RB with completely open space. Unfortunately, Trubisky could not get the ball past the defensive lineman.

bBrkbXF.jpg

QNEmCWA.jpg

WdSQ-J.gif

Trubisky throws this ball aboot 23 seconds too late...

dkRiNs.gif

Matt Nagy dials up the absolute perfect play here against a 6 man blitz. It’s basically a 3 on 2 on the left side of the field. You end up with Anthony Miller open in space with two blockers in front of him. The pressure doesnt get to Trubisky in time, as he delivers the ball in a still clear pocket. Awful throw...

4uzBVCy.jpg

rbKy0mi.jpg

0A1rHnE.png

HidP5b.gif

On this play, Trubisky manipulates the deep safety beautifully, getting him to bite on the in breaking route. This leaves Allen Robinson one on one, which is always a huge win for the Bears. At 6’3” with a 40 inch vertical, Robinson is one of the premier jump ball WR’s in the NFL. With a clean pocket to step into, Trubisky has to give Robinson a chance with this ball. Big missed opportunity...

pOC4pNJ.jpg

Reason for optimism

If you are looking for a reason for optimism, look no further than this pass to Burton. Trubisky falls down backpedaling, gets swarmed by pressure to the right of him and straight in his face, is not able to step up into the throw fully, has to short arm it, yet delivers a strike 20+ yards downfield. This...is...special...

IXTJI2.gif

All in all, there is reason to be a bit concerned at the moment. Hopefully this bout of inaccuracy is just a scheme fit issue and not some unfixable psychological issue.

Nice post Adi. So good, I quoted it twice.

Mr.Anderson

Liked Posts:
Great breakdown OP!!

The inconsistencies of his play come from his inconsistent footwork and his hitch and bad mechanics.

There are times you can see the confidence and authority in his throws. He steps up and not away and delivers the throw. But then other times he doesn’t look as confident in either the play or his decision and totally sidesteps the throw or just uses bad mechanics in general. It makes me wonder if the bad mechanics come from him not having confidence in the play call because he doesn’t have a firm grip on the offense yet or does he just have inconsistent mechanics, which isn’t a good thing.

The pocket presence/ awareness, the bad decision making and not seeing the whole field is a result of the game being to big and fast for him right now.
As his comfort level goes up, he’ll see more of the field and open targets and a better sense of timing with the offense. If he doesn’t correct his footwork and correct that hitch, we’re going to see Tim Tebow 2.0, and just inconsistent passing in general.

The way I see it, they either need to use the plays he’s really comfortable with that allow him to be consistent with his mechanics, however limited that may be, or they need to focus on drilling proper mechanics in his head. Because it won’t matter how well he knows the offense or how well he is seeing the field if he can’t get the ball where it needs to be.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
adipost always does a great job of breaking down the plays. And evey single one of these point out the growth that Trubisky still needs to make.

I would be interested in your take on the 23 other completed passes, to see if he is doing anything right.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Looking at most of his bad passes, he is taking a last second extreme step to the left with his lead foot.

On the Miller miss, his feet are aligned for him to make the pass to the 34 yard marker while Miller is on the 41 yard line. His body had no time to align to his foot placement.

On the Gabriel flinch, the flinch is again a quick step to the left which puts him aligned more to where he threw than where Gabriel was. He flinched while throwing so his body had no chance to realign with the new foot placement.

On the Robinson interception, it seems that his feet were not the problem but it was more of an arm throw instead of using the whole body.

On the Robinson end zone pylon miss, his feet were ok. He just missed.

On the Robinson slant miss, his lead foot again shot out to the left at the last second. Seems like his body was positioned for him to throw to the 5 yard line marker.

On the Robinson back shoulder end zone miss, his feet were set. He just overthrew it a bit.

Even on the tipped interception (screen play), trubisky took a step to the left with his front foot.

On the extremely late crossing Robinson play, he threw off his back foot and across his body. Just a dumb pass

On the 3 on 2 WR screen, Trubs again takes a step to his left ending up aligned parallel to where he threw it (50 yard line) instead of where Miller was (41 yard line).

Whoever is the QB coach should be ashamed of himself. Trubisky is taking a late step with his front foot that either does not align him with the receiver he is throwing to, is taking an alignment step too late which he never adjusts his weight to or both.

These should be easily correctable.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The only inaccuracies there are is the fans god like expectations of the kid.

Last year he was the next great thing, 12 games, 2193 yards, 7 TD 7 int 60% completion rate. That was 182 yards per game.
This year, 3 games 592 yards 2 TD 3 interceptions 70% completion rate. 197 yards per game.

His completion rate is up 10%, on pace for 10 td 15 int and its all doom and gloom.

Think of the pressure on the kid, not only being the first QB taken, but a QB a team needlessly traded up to get and instead of supporting the kid, everyone wants to shit on him.

You got your franchise QB with Cutler and we did shit. Big deal, he set records for the franchise, beating out Eric Kramer who played 5 years here.

The superbowl was won by a guy that had a completion rate of 56.9%, throwing for 180 yards per game with 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

What is wrong with you people?

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
On the extremely late crossing Robinson play, he threw off his back foot and across his body. Just a dumb pass

On the 3 on 2 WR screen, Trubs again takes a step to his left ending up aligned parallel to where he threw it (50 yard line) instead of where Miller was (41 yard line).

Whoever is the QB coach should be ashamed of himself. Trubisky is taking a late step with his front foot that either does not align him with the receiver he is throwing to, is taking an alignment step too late which he never adjusts his weight to or both.

These should be easily correctable.

That's Dave Ragone and I don't know why they retained him from the Fox Regime. Developing your "Franchise" QB is kind of a high priority even now with this great Defense. In some ways Mitch looks worse than last season in regards to accuracy, reading defenses, footwork, etc. What qualifications did Ragone specifically have to hold that job?

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
The skinny post to Robinson and then the fade to Robinson were absolutely atrocious.

He is thinking too much, that’s why the Burton throw happened the way it did... Beautiful throw because his only thoughts were, “Oh shit, I’m about to get hit”... he’s playing too stiff.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The post itself is wonderful. Thanks, Adipost.

But I just gotta laugh at all these "experts" on CSS that can spot bad mechanics and footwork - get the fuck outta here. Lol!

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Just read this on the Bears website 9-29-2018.

"On Target - Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky ranks fifth in the NFC with a .692 completion percentage. He went 24-35 against the Cardinals in Week 3."

I realize that he has missed some throws badly and tends to leave the pocket. I think both are to keep turnovers down. He has a long way to go, but the point is that all is not lost or bad and it is improving each week.
I’m not sure why people keep point to Trubisky’s completion percentage. He throws 3 yard passes. Every emergency QB in the NFL can do that. Not only are they easy throws to physically and mentally to make, but defenses generally will let those throws be completed all day.

Hi everybody

Liked Posts:
I learned how to polka in 4th grade and in just 2 weeks i will be 41. Still know how to polka and its been years since ive seen live polka action.

All that being said, mitchell is going to polka deep for at least 2 to 3 passing tds 2mow.

How old is Vick Ashley?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did you really just call Trubisky resetting his feet flinching?