The Myth Of "Finishing Checks" Thread

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sounds just like all of the NFL fans who complain about Roger Goodell.

God forbid leagues try to prevent their athletes from having their brains turned to mush by the time they're 50 by legislating against hits that target the most vital part of the human body.
Yet the league still allows fighting..which consists of two players bludgeoning each other in the head and face area during a stoppage in play. The NHL is Special person.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Keep reading instead of dismissing, you'll get there.

Peanut Butter
Sadly, you don't really know a thing about hockey unless Edzo's bleats on about it during a telecast. You say the exact same things to the point I swear there some sort of pantomime going on where you type and where ever Edzo is, he lips start to move mysteriously.

I get it, you like the Hawks. I don't think you know too much about hockey unless its spoken by Edzo tho first.

Crust

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yet the league still allows fighting..which consists of two players bludgeoning each other in the head and face area during a stoppage in play. The NHL is Special person.

I have to ask, are you just super anti violence or anti fighting or to you just object to it in hockey because you feel it takes away from the game?

I like seeing physical hockey and the occasional fight, but I mostly turn to MMA when I want to see fights, since thats the point of MMA.

I am just wondering if you speak so strongly against hockey fights because you hate fighting or just hate hockey fights?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Sadly, you don't really know a thing about hockey unless Edzo's bleats on about it during a telecast. You say the exact same things to the point I swear there some sort of pantomime going on where you type and where ever Edzo is, he lips start to move mysteriously.

I get it, you like the Hawks. I don't think you know too much about hockey unless its spoken by Edzo tho first.

Crust

Saying I don't know a thing about hockey...is purely idiotic. I've played the game, taken a year off after highschool for the game, and been involved in the game for most of my life.

Feel free to disagree with my opinions, but saying I don't know too much about hockey is ignorant. Flat out ignorant.

Also - sharing certain opinions with a former NHL player, current NHL commentator, and former NHL coach...fine by me.

Jelly

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Saying I don't know a thing about hockey...is purely idiotic. I've played the game, taken a year off after highschool for the game, and been involved in the game for most of my life.
That's fine and dandy but it doesn't mean you know hockey. You parrot things other say. To the point that the obvious mimicking is a bit redundant. Why not use all this in game knowledge you say you have instead of bleating on like I have Edzo typing out War and Peace, the hockey version in your posts?
Feel free to disagree with my opinions, but saying I don't know too much about hockey is ignorant. Flat out ignorant.
Its my opinion. I don't read a bunch of knowledge from your posts, just recycled drivel from the last telecast. I honestly don't think you know anything about hockey. Its not ignorant, its just the way it looks, sadly.
Also - sharing certain opinions with a former NHL player, current NHL commentator, and former NHL coach...fine by me.

Jelly
Nah, recycling. Theres a difference.

Crust

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
That's fine and dandy but it doesn't mean you know hockey. You parrot things other say. To the point that the obvious mimicking is a bit redundant. Why not use all this in game knowledge you say you have instead of bleating on like I have Edzo typing out War and Peace, the hockey version in your posts?

Its my opinion. I don't read a bunch of knowledge from your posts, just recycled drivel from the last telecast. I honestly don't think you know anything about hockey. Its not ignorant, its just the way it looks, sadly.

Nah, recycling. Theres a difference.

Crust

Ignorant. Nothing more. Nothing less.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Ignorant. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Hey, somebody had to be the one to give you an honest opinion. I understand, it hurts. But hopefully you learn from this truthfulness and come back a better, self opinionated poster here without the recycled bits. Nobody likes a poser.

Crust

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have to ask, are you just super anti violence or anti fighting or to you just object to it in hockey because you feel it takes away from the game?

I like seeing physical hockey and the occasional fight, but I mostly turn to MMA when I want to see fights, since thats the point of MMA.

I am just wondering if you speak so strongly against hockey fights because you hate fighting or just hate hockey fights?

Anti-Hockey fights. It takes away from the game.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Baby steps, I suppose.

The biggest obstacle to the removal of fighting is the very supportive culture of fighting in hockey. Right or wrong, a high majority of NHL players will tell you that they get a boost from watching their teammates drop the gloves, even in spite of statistical evidence to the contrary. Until the players stop believing it, the league will continue to feature it.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Considering those same players know what they are getting into, if physical play scares them there are a bevy of jobs out there where they can acquire wealth in a more peaceful manner.

Having your cake and eating it too belittles what the players before them sacrificed.

The game evolves. Just because players in the past had to sacrifice so much doesn't mean that current players are obligated to do the same. The conditioning of athletes these days is miles ahead of the old guard. There is some give and take there.

I still fail to see the removal of physical play in hockey. Just because you're no longer allowed to assault a player when he doesn't have the puck doesn't mean the game is devoid of contact. It's still a brutal, physical game.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
The game evolves. Just because players in the past had to sacrifice so much doesn't mean that current players are obligated to do the same. The conditioning of athletes these days is miles ahead of the old guard. There is some give and take there.

I still fail to see the removal of physical play in hockey. Just because you're no longer allowed to assault a player when he doesn't have the puck doesn't mean the game is devoid of contact. It's still a brutal, physical game.
This is a great post and is dead on about a lot of things.

What I, as a fan, have a problem with is dolts like Lemiuex crying about the protection of Crysby while one of his hired stooges almost ruined the kid in Ottawa. Or how Mario went to great lengths to try and hold Keith accountable when he corked Cooke. I understand the game is gonna change. I also understand the athletes now are bigger, stronger, and faster. What I have a hard time comprehending is how certain players seem to get away with almost cutting off a players foot, or Morrow pounding that one guys head into the ice repeatedly but a clean check suddenly draws a game when all it was is a clean check. Either call it right down the middle or let them play. This situation is gonna blow up one day and hopefully it isn't a Hawk player who gets the brunt of it.

Torres got a huge suspension for almost killing Hossa and rightly so, he deserved it. Cooke didn't even get a game for cutting Karlssons heel. That's bullshit to the utmost extreme and don't think for a second Cooke didn't do it on purpose. He did. He's a goon who obviously doesn't play anymore like my little buddy Hawkwriter has stated. Scott Stevens doesn't exist in this day and age of running and starting a pussy grab every time a player gets flattened. Either let them play the right way or call every single questionable hit and move forward. They brag relentlessly about the "War Room" in Toronto and how they have all these other camera angles that aren't readily available to us HD watching fans...well, fucking use them. Watch a CBC feed, you would swear they give away free blowjobs and a bear claw for how many times they mention it.

Crust

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Baby steps, I suppose.

The biggest obstacle to the removal of fighting is the very supportive culture of fighting in hockey. Right or wrong, a high majority of NHL players will tell you that they get a boost from watching their teammates drop the gloves, even in spite of statistical evidence to the contrary. Until the players stop believing it, the league will continue to feature it.
Didn't stop the NFL from eliminating the dangerous hits and plays that got them and their teammates amped up.

Like I said, the NHL is Special person.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This is a great post and is dead on about a lot of things.

What I, as a fan, have a problem with is dolts like Lemiuex crying about the protection of Crysby while one of his hired stooges almost ruined the kid in Ottawa. Or how Mario went to great lengths to try and hold Keith accountable when he corked Cooke. I understand the game is gonna change. I also understand the athletes now are bigger, stronger, and faster. What I have a hard time comprehending is how certain players seem to get away with almost cutting off a players foot, or Morrow pounding that one guys head into the ice repeatedly but a clean check suddenly draws a game when all it was is a clean check. Either call it right down the middle or let them play. This situation is gonna blow up one day and hopefully it isn't a Hawk player who gets the brunt of it.

Torres got a huge suspension for almost killing Hossa and rightly so, he deserved it. Cooke didn't even get a game for cutting Karlssons heel. That's bullshit to the utmost extreme and don't think for a second Cooke didn't do it on purpose. He did. He's a goon who obviously doesn't play anymore like my little buddy Hawkwriter has stated. Scott Stevens doesn't exist in this day and age of running and starting a pussy grab every time a player gets flattened. Either let them play the right way or call every single questionable hit and move forward. They brag relentlessly about the "War Room" in Toronto and how they have all these other camera angles that aren't readily available to us HD watching fans...well, fucking use them. Watch a CBC feed, you would swear they give away free blowjobs and a bear claw for how many times they mention it.

Crust

I really think the NHL may need to start using replay on some of these hits to the head before they hand out penalties. NFL could benefit from its usage, too. NFL may have to streamline the process a lot more, though. When these hits to the head happen in the NHL, there's frequently enough of a stoppage in play for there to be some video review. Instead of making the refs decide on the penalty in a millisecond, why not give them a second look? I'd have no problem with waiting to see if the skates left the ice or if the primary contact point was the head while the victimized player is being helped off of the ice.

Didn't stop the NFL from eliminating the dangerous hits and plays that got them and their teammates amped up.

Like I said, the NHL is Special person.

Yeah, like the NFL is now the standard for protocol on head injuries.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Heard Raffy Torres took out another player last night. How is this guy still allowed to play in the NHL?
Wouldn't say he took him out, but he did target Stoll head and from what I saw he didn't return. Looked like a high hit. Don't think he was trying to check himself thru the other guys body tho like when he tried to cripple Hossa.

Yeah, Torres time gooning it up has run its course tho. The guy is only out there to main or try and kill somebody. Hit last night should be a game, but with his history at attempting to try and kill somebody I can see five games for his stupidity. But hey, next year he will find the softest goon on the Kings to drop em with and do his huggy bear impersonation for 30 seconds and all will be forgotten.

And there were rumors Bowman wanted that piece of shit at the dead line........

Nipple

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Heard Raffy Torres took out another player last night. How is this guy still allowed to play in the NHL?

Didnt see the game but Googled it. Yet another cheap shot to the players blindside and right directly at the head. I think its safe to say that most everyone in the NHL has had their fill of this guy. Given his history, Torres should be gone for the rest of the playoffs. AGAIN. Maybe its just me, but if a guy looking like this ever came to my door....I'd shoot him.

raffi-torres-07.jpg

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I heard Raffy say his hit on Stoll was his attempt to "uphold tradition"
HA. What tradition was that? His yearly "lets try and hit somebody into a coma"?

I don't like the guy. He has a fascination with trying to actually kill somebody with a forceful hit. You saw it the year he corked Seabs and then what happened last year with Hoss. Players put a huge amount of trust into other players when it comes to their bodies out on rock solid ice and he completely dis reguards it. And why the NHL allows a player whose only contribution to the game is trying his hardest to murder another player shows a bit of bush league and why nobody takes the NHL seriously as a true top sport.

Nipple

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Update on Torres-http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/15/report-torres-will-have-disciplinary-hearing-for-stoll-hit/

In person means minimum 5 games. Chances are he's done this year. Fuck him.

Nipple

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Update on Torres-http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/15/report-torres-will-have-disciplinary-hearing-for-stoll-hit/

In person means minimum 5 games. Chances are he's done this year. Fuck him.

Nipple

Doesn't mean minimum of 5 games, just that it could be 5 or more. Phone hearing would be guaranteed 4 or less.

I think Clowe had an in-person hearing earlier this year but only got 2 games after an incident with the Blackhawks.

Torres has been playing pretty good this year and hasn't crossed the line. Was really hoping he could stick to hockey like Cooke has for the majority. This hit looked worse than it is and wasn't a charging and Torres is going to have to pay for his past - which he should. Still a head hit at the end of the day, so he will have to pay for it. Wouldn't be surprised if Shanaban went for the remainder of the playoffs with this one.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Doesn't mean minimum of 5 games, just that it could be 5 or more. Phone hearing would be guaranteed 4 or less.

I think Clowe had an in-person hearing earlier this year but only got 2 games after an incident with the Blackhawks.
Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Clowe made an illegal line change, Torres tried to knock a guys head off. Torres is getting minimum five games with the in person. For somebody who went on a tangent about playing hockey you kind of don't know the rules, or pretty much how the rules seem to get a little bit stricter for somebody (Torres, a goon, btw) who is a repeat offender.

Just wow.
Torres has been playing pretty good this year and hasn't crossed the line. Was really hoping he could stick to hockey like Cooke has for the majority. This hit looked worse than it is and wasn't a charging and Torres is going to have to pay for his past - which he should. Still a head hit at the end of the day, so he will have to pay for it. Wouldn't be surprised if Shanaban went for the remainder of the playoffs with this one.
Torres and Cooke are out there for one reason, to goon it up. Now, I understand admitting it would make you look a bit foolish considering you have already recited things Edzo has said in regards to the prototypical goon, but rest assured those clowns are there to inflict some sort of cheap shot on a player in most cases, not expecting it. As for Cooke, his clean play almost put Karlsson out of the league. And while Torres may have let up a bit, he also was trying to knock his former room mates head off in Stoll.

One step forward, too steps back.

Nipple