The Myth Of "Finishing Checks" Thread

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Minimum for Torres has to be playoffs... He should just be done for good.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

Well, hes done for the series with the Kings. Too bad Shanaban looked the other way when Morrow was pounding Crizas(sp) head into the ice in game six of the Pens series.

Nipple

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Clowe made an illegal line change, Torres tried to knock a guys head off. Torres is getting minimum five games with the in person. For somebody who went on a tangent about playing hockey you kind of don't know the rules, or pretty much how the rules seem to get a little bit stricter for somebody (Torres, a goon, btw) who is a repeat offender.

Just wow.

Torres and Cooke are out there for one reason, to goon it up. Now, I understand admitting it would make you look a bit foolish considering you have already recited things Edzo has said in regards to the prototypical goon, but rest assured those clowns are there to inflict some sort of cheap shot on a player in most cases, not expecting it. As for Cooke, his clean play almost put Karlsson out of the league. And while Torres may have let up a bit, he also was trying to knock his former room mates head off in Stoll.

One step forward, too steps back.

Nipple

Read what I said. I was referring to the rule of an in person hearing. I fully expect him to get 5+ but the in person hearing does not guarantee 5 or more. Read what I posted. Almost everything you said I agree with and also had nothing to do with what I actually said and was referring to. I was referring to the actual rule and meaning of an in person hearing, not what he will get.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Read what I said. I was referring to the rule of an in person hearing. I fully expect him to get 5+ but the in person hearing does not guarantee 5 or more. Read what I posted. Almost everything you said I agree with and also had nothing to do with what I actually said and was referring to. I was referring to the actual rule and meaning of an in person hearing, not what he will get.
I did read what you said. I then remembered that the Hawks haven't played in a bit and you couldn't parrot Eddie O's opinion on the matter verbatim on the subject. You do understand, if it wasn't an issue it would have been a phone interview, correct? Torres is on his way to NY. He is done for the series and yes, an in person meeting for a rerererepeat offender means minimum five games. Torres is a piece of human shit that deserves to have his head pushing his own shit back into his own colon for all the crap he has done to other players. You certainly aren't getting any brownie points trying to defend him on some sort of fantasy that after almost killing Hossa, which was his intention in my opinion, that he has changed his ways and decided to clean up his image only to understand that the reason he gets a chance to sit on a NHL bench is by launching himself into players who don't see him in the first place.

But, considering you said goons don't exist in the NHL surely this is just a mirage of some sort.

Nipple

KBIB

Liked Posts:
My favorite part of the Torres saga is that Bettman actually reduced Torres' penalty for the Hossa hit. Kind of a mixed message. I can't believe Hawkwriter is actually defending Torres...but maybe that type of thinking still exists in hockey. From a purely hockey standpoint, Torres' headshot put Stoll out indefinitely...shouldn't Torres have to sit out the series? Or is it like the Red Wings and "Abelskivver", who can launch himself into an opponent's head, sit out a couple games, then pick it back up in the next playoff series when his team advances in part due to Anaheim's depleted defensive line. Kind of a joke.
Its a joke alright. You don't see too many players crying because Rozi boarded the guy last night. Abby likes playing on the fringe and guess what, you reap what you sow.

I cant wait to see what Torres gets. If its anything less then the rest of the playoffs you know Doug Wilson cried like a girl to keep him in. Theres no place in hockey for that if they want to eliminate that type of play. If it was Crysby who he hit Torres wouldn't even be able to find a gig in a beer league. Funny how the person hit has some sort of factor on determinating the suspension.

Supple

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In true NHL fashion, Bettman named Brendan Shanahan to be the man who decides what's a legal check or what's illegal....then dole out the proper punishment. That's the former player Brendan Shanahan.....this Brendan Shanahan.

[video=youtube;LMWFu9c8Q9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWFu9c8Q9I[/video]

KBIB

Liked Posts:
In true NHL fashion, Bettman named Brendan Shanahan to be the man who decides what's a legal check or what's illegal....then dole out the proper punishment. That's the former player Brendan Shanahan.....this Brendan Shanahan.

Theres also whispers Shanny like to protect his guys.

Lets see what happens with Torres. If he isn't banned from the playoffs for a second consecutive year I would be shocked.

Supple

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Theres also whispers Shanny like to protect his guys.

Lets see what happens with Torres. If he isn't banned from the playoffs for a second consecutive year I would be shocked.

Supple

I hate Torres and even I don't think he should be suspended the entire playoffs again. I get the repeat offender thing, but Torres should get 3-6 games MAX IMO

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Is the suspension adequate? Likely. Would anyone have been upset in Torres would have been suspended for 20 games (remainder of possible games if they made it all the way through the finals)? Not really. If the league really wants to wake up and do something positive with these hits, they would not only suspend the offender, but they would take that spot away from the team's lineup while the player is suspended. I would say if they are a repeat offender, you put that into effect. Instead of twenty spots for each game, only nineteen available. It would make teams question a little more if having a guy like Torres on the roster.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is the suspension adequate? Likely. Would anyone have been upset in Torres would have been suspended for 20 games (remainder of possible games if they made it all the way through the finals)? Not really. If the league really wants to wake up and do something positive with these hits, they would not only suspend the offender, but they would take that spot away from the team's lineup while the player is suspended. I would say if they are a repeat offender, you put that into effect. Instead of twenty spots for each game, only nineteen available. It would make teams question a little more if having a guy like Torres on the roster.

So you, in essence, penalize 19 guys because of one asshole?

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Are you suggesting that the Hawks weren't penalized last year or the Kings haven't been penalized this year because of one asshole? Yes, I would penalize the other 19 guys on a repeat offenders team. If a team wants to keep an asshole on the roster, then that is what they can expect. Torres keeps getting chances in this league because there is really no penalty to a team for having a guy like that on the roster. Until there is a penalty, guys like that will always be around.

Note that I am not saying that a first time offender would have his team penalized, just the serial ones.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I agree in the sense that you want to eliminate goons like that from the NHL, you do.

Not sure the league would ever do that though.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Kind of. Hossa getting lit up pretty much killed the Hawks last year. I highly doubt the Yotes get past the Hawks if Hoss was there for the series. They have to figure out a solution to allowing idiots like Torres getting contracts when the only reason he gets a roster spot is by being a head hunter.

Torres had no choice but to answer to Mayers. He sure as hell wasn't gonna drop them with Bollig or even Carbomb who can chuck them when he wants to. It was a cowards way out that nine times out of ten he doesn't answer to. Fuck him. Lord knows when his mother shat him out the doctors serenaded him with a medley of slide whistles.

Supple

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree in the sense that you want to eliminate goons like that from the NHL, you do.

Not sure the league would ever do that though.

Not even Bettman and the NHL is that stupid. There would never be another CBA signed by the PA. There is a way that would work, I believe. You don't only hit the player's wallet....you also go after the source. These goofs arent just magically appearing on the ice, the teams are paying their contracts. So you fine them both and you fine the team BIG, big enough that they think twice about throwing these guys out there to "change the momemtum".

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Not even Bettman and the NHL is that stupid. There would never be another CBA signed by the PA. There is a way that would work, I believe. You don't only hit the player's wallet....you also go after the source. These goofs arent just magically appearing on the ice, the teams are paying their contracts. So you fine them both and you fine the team BIG, big enough that they think twice about throwing these guys out there to "change the momemtum".

I am fine with this method as well. There just has to be something done in order to stop these guys. Obviously the Department of Player Safety is not going to make sure that these idiots stop. They have taken away immediate retribution by putting in the instigator rule. You are most definitely correct that the owners getting nailed for having these guys on the team that continue to make these hits is one way to stop them.