The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His Spots

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

I'm not the biggest fan but well written article on Josh McDaniels.

"You need to write down everything you would do differently if you ever get a chance to be a head coach again," Thom told him. "Do it while everything is fresh in your mind. Over time, add to it."

Josh created an Excel document on his laptop. He named it "lessonslearned.xls."

He had some long talks with Tony Dungy, his one-time rival with the Colts. Dungy told him he needed to self-reflect every year, whether he was fired or won the Super Bowl. They talked about the importance of being yourself and trusting instincts. Having fun is not a bad thing. Dungy stressed that a head coach's consistency with a team really mattered. They talked about the formula that makes a good coaching staff. Dungy gave him some ideas about keeping his faith at the center of his life as his coaching world turned.

"I could relate to where he was at the time, having been fired myself," Dungy says. "He's a very smart guy, and we just talked about finding the next spot—the one that would be best for him."

[video=youtube_share;ucAUq3cWYkc]https://youtu.be/ucAUq3cWYkc[/video]

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm with the 2nd video. He was so bad it would be hard to have enough change to get to good let alone great.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
His situation is one of two things:

1) He's a fiery, emotional, good guy who in the past had troubles keeping his emotions in check. After much self-reflection, years and maturity, he's tampered that down. A lot of us could relate to this.

2) He's a self-aggrandizing asshole who has trouble connecting meaningfully with people in his life because of his nature, but he's tampered down his nature and can now better control his behavior.

#1 you could deal with and understand.

#2 you can't.

I worry he's #2.

You can change the behavior, but you can't change the man.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Exactly. A person can adapt their controlled behavior, but in the furry of the fight one will revert to ones innate character. Just look at John Lackey scream on the mound or John McEnroe melt down on the court. Tony Stewart killed a guy in a short track race spinning his wheels into him after a wreck when the guy got out of his car. And my formerly beloved Bob Knight chucking chairs from the sidelines.
All these guys are regarded as fun and/or charitable individuals in a casual setting.

McDaniels failure to win in Denver is far less concerning then his failure to have a single player like playing for him. Then you add that not a single NE assistant has had sustained success away from BB/TB. I would be concerned with him as a hire.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Pace will pass on McD just because he will want to much control over the roster. At least, that is what I hope.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Jimmy G. is a product of McDaniel's coaching......I think we could do far worse

As far as him wanting more control over personnel, well most on here think that Pace is an idiot when it comes to FA selection, so maybe JM could make our roster stronger if he was able to have input.

I don't think he will be the guy, but I would ok if he was.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Another problem. If you watched that second video. McDaniels was a complete whatever is worse than a douche to everybody in the organization. Players are draft, so have no choice, but how does he get top shelf assistant coaches with his reputation?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Jimmy G. is a product of McDaniel's coaching......I think we could do far worse

As far as him wanting more control over personnel, well most on here think that Pace is an idiot when it comes to FA selection, so maybe JM could make our roster stronger if he was able to have input.

I don't think he will be the guy, but I would ok if he was.
Two words. Tim Tebow

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
They already have the book on this clown - Pace speaks highly of the Saints a fairly stable profile NFL organization-l

He is never going to hire the little benevolent dictator - Obvious in the second video that he can never have any type control like that.

Can you even picture that after all the mayhem and consternation from the Trestman era that the Bears would ever take another punk like that?

No fking way

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I really like McDaniels, but I admit I was not aware of the personality issues. With a former player saying he was basically the worst coach to play for, that is very concerning to me.

We don't change much from our mid 30s into our 40s.

That being said, personality is really the only question mark. McDaniels can flat out coach, and nobody has a better resume.

Would be interesting to see behind the scenes was Tom Brady thinks about him as a HC. Tom Brady no doubt is a leader of men and knows a leader when he sees one.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Josh McDaniels made Kyle Orton look like a superstar for about 8 games. until that was figured out. so...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
That was foxy. Should we rehire him?

Crap that is right....

But Tebow was a draft pick, not a FA...

Either way, McDaniel was a dick, but has gotten very good results with nearly every QB he has touched.

Has he learned not to be a dickhead, well the interview would help determine that?

I highly doubt he comes to the Bears, but.... why in the hell do we always have to hire the "nice guys", it has not worked recently. Maybe a guy like McDaniel would shake things up and get us moving in the right direction.

Are we really looking to hire another Trestman type?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are better candidates.....

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His situation is one of two things:

1) He's a fiery, emotional, good guy who in the past had troubles keeping his emotions in check. After much self-reflection, years and maturity, he's tampered that down. A lot of us could relate to this.

2) He's a self-aggrandizing asshole who has trouble connecting meaningfully with people in his life because of his nature, but he's tampered down his nature and can now better control his behavior.

#1 you could deal with and understand.

#2 you can't.

I worry he's #2.

You can change the behavior, but you can't change the man.

It felt like I was playing for an equipment manager or something, he was like a little punk,” Berger said of McDaniels, who is now the offensive coordinator in New England again. “He came in there and said that he wanted to hear a lot from me, he wanted to know what I thought about situations. He wanted to take advantage of my veteran leadership . . . . He said all that. But as soon as I had a game that wasn’t up to his standards, he wouldn’t talk to you or look at you.”
Berger also said that he “threw players under the bus in meetings,” specifically mentioning receiver Brandon Marshall.
“I never played for a guy in my life who guys wanted to play for less,” Berger said. “He was just a guy you didn’t care about.”

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: