Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I kind of anticipated that this would turn into a race thread, though that wasn't my intent.

I'll all for providing minority candidates an opportunity, but in the case such as the Raiders, I think the rule doesn't make much sense. In the event that a team is going into their search with their eyes wide open, ready and open for anything, then sure. But when a team knows who they want, and who they want also wants to go there, it just seems pointless to go through this whole process. And if you don't, you get penalized for doing what you were going to do anyway.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Jesus. I have to deal with crazy shit all day, and now I can't even go to a Bears football forum and escape it.

Guy doesn't think anyone but white people can be racist.

Wants the government to regulate every aspect of his behavior and everyone's behavior so people can "behave themselves." He believes in fascism and slavery and doesn't even know it.

Crazy levels of violence and murder rates, high dropout rates, poverty, generational levels of dependence on government (ie poverty). These things do not concern him. Seeing himself and every other black person as a victim does.

Enough. Let's agree to disagree. Back to football.

JoeyBones21

Liked Posts:
I think it's bullshit. Best man for the job. Black, white, yellow, fucking purple. If an organization wants to interview only white people because that's their agenda, fine.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I think it's bullshit. Best man for the job. Black, white, yellow, fucking purple. If an organization wants to interview only white people because that's their agenda, fine.

That last sentence is in direct contradiction to your second sentence.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I kind of anticipated that this would turn into a race thread, though that wasn't my intent.

I'll all for providing minority candidates an opportunity, but in the case such as the Raiders, I think the rule doesn't make much sense. In the event that a team is going into their search with their eyes wide open, ready and open for anything, then sure. But when a team knows who they want, and who they want also wants to go there, it just seems pointless to go through this whole process. And if you don't, you get penalized for doing what you were going to do anyway.

Making exceptions to rules weakens the rule usually. I agree with what you are saying in theory, but I don't see a problem with the rule as it is.

The PM here made it a requirement that 50% of his cabinet were female. I had to think about this quite a bit, whether I agreed with a quota or not. But maybe this is the one way to get women in power and one would hope it leads to those women in power choosing the best candidates for future jobs, and looking at a wider range of candidates in the future.

Unless women, and other minorities get into a position of power, the doors are always going to be partly shut for them, regardless of talent. It's human nature. Not white nature.

I don't think it creates an unfair playing field for white coaching candidates. It just puts a slight burden upon the 32 teams, who I think can mange it without it being too much of a problem for them.

In the Raiders instance, they can just say yeah they wanted Gruden from the start, but with what they are paying him, a fine for not complying with the Rooney rule is not going to set them back.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Making exceptions to rules weakens the rule usually. I agree with what you are saying in theory, but I don't see a problem with the rule as it is.

The PM here made it a requirement that 50% of his cabinet were female. I had to think about this quite a bit, whether I agreed with a quota or not. But maybe this is the one way to get women in power and one would hope it leads to those women in power choosing the best candidates for future jobs, and looking at a wider range of candidates in the future.

Unless women, and other minorities get into a position of power, the doors are always going to be partly shut for them, regardless of talent. It's human nature. Not white nature.

I don't think it creates an unfair playing field for white coaching candidates. It just puts a slight burden upon the 32 teams, who I think can mange it without it being too much of a problem for them.

In the Raiders instance, they can just say yeah they wanted Gruden from the start, but with what they are paying him, a fine for not complying with the Rooney rule is not going to set them back.

I hear you. But your last sentence reinforces the point that the rule diminishes, and makes moot and pointless the rule in the first place. There are good people, bad people, and racist people of all races. Rules aimed at social engineering in the name of political correctness are not a good solution (IMO), and actually are insulting to the people the rules are designed to "help."

You also said that its needed because the doors are always going to be partly shut to women and minorities getting into power. We just had a black President. Who was re-elected. Leader of the free world for 8 years. Hard to get more powerful than that.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I hear you. But your last sentence reinforces the point that the rule diminishes, and makes moot and pointless the rule in the first place. There are good people, bad people, and racist people of all races. Rules aimed at social engineering in the name of political correctness are not a good solution (IMO), and actually are insulting to the people the rules are designed to "help."

You also said that its needed because the doors are always going to be partly shut to women and minorities getting into power. We just had a black President. Who was re-elected. Leader of the free world for 8 years. Hard to get more powerful than that.

Good lord. I thought you were done with this because it annoyed you too much. I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was "needed", but continue with your emotional and reactionary feelings on this matter.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I'm White and I work for the Federal Government.

I have been the token interview because of a rule about hiring practices. Minorities are not the only ones that are exposed to this process. It helped me prepare for a Job interview that actually got me a promotion.

Mike Tomlin is an example of the rule actually making a difference, he was interviewed only because of the rule (they wanted to hire Ken Whisenhunt), but Tomlin nailed the interview and was hired because of it.

It might seem like a silly rule, but it has a purpose, and it has made a difference for at least one coach.

Your name sucks

JoeyBones21

Liked Posts:
That last sentence is in direct contradiction to your second sentence.

What I'm saying is I don't think teams should be FORCED to interview minority coaches. If they're willing to miss out on top talent because of race, that's their problem. I think forcing it upon teams just makes the race issue bigger than it is. Was Mike Tomlin hired because of the Rooney Rule?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jesus. I have to deal with crazy shit all day, and now I can't even go to a Bears football forum and escape it.

Guy doesn't think anyone but white people can be racist.

Wants the government to regulate every aspect of his behavior and everyone's behavior so people can "behave themselves." He believes in fascism and slavery and doesn't even know it.

I get that you conservatives aren't much into reading, but try to try. I did not say I wanted it, I simply said what is happening and why. I would far rather there have never been a need for it.

Crazy levels of violence and murder rates, high dropout rates, poverty, generational levels of dependence on government (ie poverty). These things do not concern him.

Again, can you read? Never did I say these things aren't concerning. You made that up.

Seeing himself and every other black person as a victim does.

I'm white. Yet another assumption on your part. Do you ever deal with reality or do you go through life just making up whatever nonsense suits you?

Last edited:

Washington

Liked Posts:
The PM here made it a requirement that 50% of his cabinet were female. I had to think about this quite a bit, whether I agreed with a quota or not. But maybe this is the one way to get women in power and one would hope it leads to those women in power choosing the best candidates for future jobs, and looking at a wider range of candidates in the future..

So the PM requires 50% of the positions be given to women even if there are men, even Black men, more qualified?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Rooney Rule

Here’s my take plain and simple. In the NFL, if I’m a white guy, I already know I have a better shot a the “decisions making” positions than a black guy. ( HC's are taken from “decisions making”) i.e.Qb, center and inside / MLB.

I can be mediocre at best Qb, and be allowed to hang around the league for years if I’m a white guy vs a black guy. If I’m a white guy, I'm gonna get the shot as Qb regardless 9x n 10 vs the black guy

As for a HC position, there’s no question if I’m a white guy ( even with the NFL being 70% black)……I still have a much better shot than a black guy, Same is true for OC and Qb coach positions ( better chance as a white guy vs a black guy) I have stats to back all this up

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's as racist as the other side. There is no longer a white QB bias, Kap isn't about that but a team not wanting to deal with that shit or empty seats. If you want to claim fans are biased, fine and duh but it's not the same thing. There may be a coaching bias with some old school owners so the Rooney rule is still valid. Raiders didn't violate the spirit of the rule with this hire and won't be punished regardless of who complains about it. I would think these points self evident but I guess we're not there yet.

The bulk of this thread is a bunch posts that prove why we still need rules like this to protect ourselves from ourselves.

Holy shit.

:gtfo::snoop:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Rooney Rule

Here’s my take plain and simple. In the NFL, if I’m a white guy, I already know I have a better shot a the “decisions making” positions than a black guy. ( HC's are taken from “decisions making”) i.e.Qb, center and inside / MLB.

I can be mediocre at best Qb, and be allowed to hang around the league for years if I’m a white guy vs a black guy. If I’m a white guy, I'm gonna get the shot as Qb regardless 9x n 10 vs the black guy

As for a HC position, there’s no question if I’m a white guy ( even with the NFL being 70% black)……I still have a much better shot than a black guy, Same is true for OC and Qb coach positions ( better chance as a white guy vs a black guy) I have stats to back all this up

I would love to see the stats.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would love to see the stats.

Don't go there. It's all about interpretation where he'll equate player % to coach % when it's not a relative stat
. Ever hear the phrase, those that can't do, teach? Playing at the top level doesn't qualify you to coach. The %s should be somewhere between that of our general population and really, college player population where most of these coaches come from. Very few successful Pro players become coaches of any demographic.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
That's as racist as the other side. There is no longer a white QB bias, Kap isn't about that but a team not wanting to deal with that shit or empty seats. If you want to claim fans are biased, fine and duh but it's not the same thing. There may be a coaching bias with some old school owners so the Rooney rule is still valid. Raiders didn't violate the spirit of the rule with this hire and won't be punished regardless of who complains about it. I would think these points self evident but I guess we're not there yet.

The bulk of this thread is a bunch posts that prove why we still need rules like this to protect ourselves from ourselves.

Holy shit.

:gtfo::snoop:

I feel better and safer at night knowing rules like this exist.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Don't go there. It's all about interpretation where he'll equate player % to coach % when it's not a relative stats. Ever hear the phrase, those that can't do, teach? Playing at the top level doesn't qualify you to coach. The %s should be somewhere between that of our general population and really, college player population where most of these coaches come from. Very few successful Pro players become coaches of any demographic.

I will want to see the stats showing percentage of black coaches that get into coaching at the NFL level get head coaching jobs vs those same percentage of white coaches. I want to see an apples to apples comparison. This should be fun.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That's as racist as the other side.

I erased the first sentences of your 4 cocktail jim beam rant which had zero to do with one group getting a NFL job over another. Yeah we do need rules in place to male sure everybody gets a fair shot.