The Senior Bowl Thread

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Bowen re: James Washington:

After checking out tape on Washington, I wanted to see him work against press coverage and showcase enough lateral speed to shake defensive backs. Even with the highlight reel of deep ball shots he put together versus Big 12 defenses, beating press and separating are key to getting the ball in the pros. And I did see some positives from Washington (5-10, 210) during one-on-ones Tuesday. A quick move at the line and go -- then stack on top. That allowed Washington to separate on a couple of deep-ball opportunities, and he also displayed solid foot speed during change-of-direction work in individual drills. This is a big week for Washington in both one-on-one and team periods to showcase his grasp of the route tree and the technique necessary to slip tight coverage.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Steve Muench's thoughts on DaeSean Hamilton:

Hamilton (6-1, 202 pounds) doesn't show great burst on tape, raising concerns about his ability to separate in the NFL. But he's an above-average route runner who did an excellent job using his hands and quick feet to get off the line, plus he showed the ability to win with his hands when corners tried to get physical with him. He looks natural catching the ball and has good length (32 5/8-inch arms) for his frame. He did have a few drops in one-on-ones, however.

Nicker

Liked Posts:
Bowen re: James Washington:

After checking out tape on Washington, I wanted to see him work against press coverage and showcase enough lateral speed to shake defensive backs. Even with the highlight reel of deep ball shots he put together versus Big 12 defenses, beating press and separating are key to getting the ball in the pros. And I did see some positives from Washington (5-10, 210) during one-on-ones Tuesday. A quick move at the line and go -- then stack on top. That allowed Washington to separate on a couple of deep-ball opportunities, and he also displayed solid foot speed during change-of-direction work in individual drills. This is a big week for Washington in both one-on-one and team periods to showcase his grasp of the route tree and the technique necessary to slip tight coverage.
Washington really sounds like a guy that would fit this offense. I wonder if he'll be available when we pick in the second.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Lots of good info, thanks guys.

I'm trying to keep tabs on a few players who haven't been mentioned.

Isaiah Wynn, OL from Georgia. This guy is probably a day one starter on the interior with a chance to play tackle even though he's not very long. Heard good things about him yesterday, probably a 2nd rounder and a guy who could be targeted depending on FA.

I think when it's all said and done Tyrell Crosby has a decent shot to be the first tackle taken. I'm not very high on Williams or McGlinchy, and I think Brown is going to be a RT. Crosby certainly has the ability, along with great size, to move up the board in a hurry.

There are lots of potential outside corners this year and plenty of guys at the senior bowl who are projected as mid rounders - if the Bears sign two starters in FA, I think they could target one. I'm interested to see how Kameron Kelly, Christian Campbell and Isaac Yiadom do this week.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Washington really sounds like a guy that would fit this offense. I wonder if he'll be available when we pick in the second.
He'll be there. I'm personally not a big fan. I think he's a late 3rd or early 4th rounder. I don't think he will run all that great and I don't see the great lateral movement from him. Also concerned that Ateman got many more 3rd down targets for OK St last year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Collins77

Liked Posts:
DJ Chark please. This kid is going to be a 2nd round steal if he even makes it that far.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
He'll be there. I'm personally not a big fan. I think he's a late 3rd or early 4th rounder. I don't think he will run all that great and I don't see the great lateral movement from him. Also concerned that Ateman got many more 3rd down targets for OK St last year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I like Ateman. He may have a better NFL career than Washington.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Luke

Liked Posts:
I feel like Davenport is kind of the flavor of the month right now. Everybody seems to be on him in the top 10 right now. Jeremiah had him going 7th to the Bucs. Mayock called him Demarcus Ware. But these things have a tendency to play themselves out the way they should in the long run. Davenport isn't going to be quite the athlete that Ware was. Ware ran a 4.56 in the 40. If Davenport runs that time, that'd be faster than any DL outside of Clowney in the last 5 years. Ware's 38.5 high jump would be top 5 in the last 5 years. His 10'7" broad jump would be top 10. Short shuttle and 3 cone would be 2nd and 3rd respectively in the last 5 years. Davenport is a great athlete, but not generational like Ware was, and he went 11th.

And Davenport is pretty raw, he's probably not going to dominate the Senior Bowl, even though he's likely the top prospect there. He's going to look bad in some drills at the combine. He doesn't have a ton of tape against top competition.

I know I'm one of the original people who said I'd take Davenport at 8, but I seriously doubt that happens. I think his value starts about 18-25, with reach territory in the 12-15 range. The Bucs aren't going to take him at 7. The Bears aren't going to at 8. But with a trade down to the teens, I think he becomes a realistic option. I'm pretty certain he won't make it to the 2nd day of the draft, so it may require a reach to get him....just don't bet on it at 8.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, at least for day 1. If he didn't get so much pub, you would never have known he was the top prospect there. On the recap show when Mayock was asked about his performance, the best he could say was that he is raw.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Allen while having a big arm has always been pretty inaccurate. Doubt he goes early.

Dude is a God physically though. He’s like the exact opposite of Mayfield in every way.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think a lot teams love Allen. He's just got the whole package physically. obviously he's not a day one starter but I think he going to go early.

Jets apparently love him. I'd be pretty leery of him.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Dude is a God physically though. He’s like the exact opposite of Mayfield.

If he does go early it will be more for his physical measurements. I think he's a pretty good interview too. But you can only coach up accuracy a little. And in the NFL those windows are tighter.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
I think a lot teams love Allen. He's just got the whole package physically. obviously he's not a day one starter but I think he going to go early.

Jets apparently love him. I'd be pretty leery of him.

Yeah the Jets are about as good as Cleveland with their QB choices and coaching.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Any team picking Allen in the 1st round is making a grave mistake. If Kizer didn't go in the 1st, I see no reason this guy should. And Kizer was actually more accurate and a better decision maker than him at that level.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Baker Mayfield measured 6-feet 3/8 and weighed 216 pounds Tuesday at a late weigh-in at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Mayfield also took a hand measurement of 9 1/2", a source said.