The Senior Bowl Thread

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
If he does go early it will be more for his physical measurements. I think he's a pretty good interview too. But you can only coach up accuracy a little. And in the NFL those windows are tighter.

Allen's accuracy issues stem from sloppy footwork, clean up the footwork and his accuracy will be there..

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Apparently he has a foot injury that he is trying to get right for the combine.

Tre'quan Smith [UCF] is a WR that I am also interested in seeing. 6'1" 205lbs and can run.

UCF has three kids that will be playmakers in the pros coming out this year.

Smith had a great year. Frost's scheme had players breaking open at each level and Milton did spread the ball nicely all year but Smith made big plays nearly every game.

Griffin even though he has one hand can rush the passer. The kid is relentless. Coaches are going to love this kid. He never takes a play off.

Mike Hughes is a corner that is really sticky and is a top return threat. Right now, I've read he's probably a 2nd rounder.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
UCF has three kids that will be playmakers in the pros coming out this year.

Smith had a great year. Frost's scheme had players breaking open at each level and Milton did spread the ball nicely all year but Smith made big plays nearly every game.

Griffin even though he has one hand can rush the passer. The kid is relentless. Coaches are going to love this kid. He never takes a play off.

Mike Hughes is a corner that is really sticky and is a top return threat. Right now, I've read he's probably a 2nd rounder.

The last 2 players are the real deal. Shaq Griffen would be a top 25 pick if he had both hands. As it is now, I would imagine he's a 3rd rounder or so. He's a little small to rush the passer, but I really like him in a nickel LB role where he can cover, blitz, and just make plays. Should also be an elite special teamer. Amazing lockerroom guy too.

Hughes is one of my favorite players in this class. He's the only guy I saw this year that really frustrated Anthony Miller. Like you said, he's sticky with good feet, willing to come up and hit in the run game, and I think he'll be a high 4.3s - low 4.4s speed guy.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Steve Muench's take on Isaiah Wynn:

After starting 15 games at left tackle in 2017, Wynn kicked inside to left guard at the Senior Bowl, and it's a position he has played before. That's where he projects best in the NFL considering his arms (33 1/8-inch) are on the shorter side. While he's not huge at 308 pounds, he looks quick and athletic getting into position and climbing up to the second level. He matched up well against former Alabama DT Da'Shawn Hand during team and one-on-ones.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
McShay on the QB's:

Allen:

Two areas Allen has been working on with quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan are footwork on drops, especially getting more efficient and into a balanced position at the top of the drop, and consistency of his follow through. I thought Allen had a mixed day overall (he said after practice he had some "easy misses"), and that mirrored what he has shown on tape. When he has a one-dimensional throw -- where he has to throw to a spot -- he has elite life on the ball and is deadly accurate. But he struggles sometimes on touch throws, and there are times he doesn't need the fastball.

Still, he threw one laser on a 25-yard comeback that had people laughing because of how absurd a throw it was. He has elite arm talent. I'll be interested to see if he gets in a better rhythm over the next couple of days.

Mayfield:

Mayfield always brings a circus, but I'm not sure that it's always his fault. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it's simply Baker and his personality. With that said, it wasn't a great start to the day for Mayfield in Mobile, after he had a family matter come up and missed the measurements, while the media saw Allen look like the prototype of what teams want in an NFL QB (6-5, 237 pounds, 10 1/8-inch hands). As for Mayfield, we still don't have an official high or hand span. That will be important.

As for on the practice field, Mayfield was paired with Allen several times during one-on-one and 7-on-7s, and I thought he was trying to put a little extra velocity on some throws to match Allen. His accuracy suffered as a result. Still, he settled in and was the best quarterback in the team session, throwing two first downs on back-to-back throws, including a dart to Colorado State's Michael Gallup in between two defenders. He had a slow start but strong finish

Falk:

Falk was the most consistent quarterback on either team Tuesday. Everyone to whom I've spoken says he's a smart kid and picks up things quickly. He seemed in control and confident throughout practice, compared to the other signal-callers. I thought he threw the most catchable ball, consistently getting the right trajectory and making it look easier than the other guys. It certainly seems as if he's going to benefit from the platform this week.

Mike White:

White had a tough first day, although it was clear he has a strong arm, and he did make some nice throws. His issue was consistency, as he underthrew a deep ball and was high on a deep out, among others. He also dropped a snap and had two center-QB exchange issues. He comes from a shotgun system at Western Kentucky, so it will be a process.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
DJ Chark please. This kid is going to be a 2nd round steal if he even makes it that far.

I think DJ Chark would be a solid pick. A little nugget I read was his position coach at LSU is Vance Joseph's brother who is also coaching him in the Senior Bowl. And with rumors the Broncos may cut either Demaryius Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders, the Broncos are going to be in the market. I can see the Broncos taking Baker Mayfield/Josh Allen with their 1st pick and pairing with Chark in the 2nd a few picks before the Bears. You heard it here first. He looks like the perfect Emmanuel Sanders replacement for them.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm paying attention to James Washington should we end up trading down in the first round or if he slides to the 2nd round of the draft.

I brought this kid up in a thread yesterday about not seeing anyone talk about him on here. I think he'd be a great pick for us and would be a nice fit for what Nagy will be looking for as that speedy WR.

LOL you're so full of shit. You even quoted me in the Quenton thread when I was talking about him.

Was interested in Deebo Samuel from SC despite the injury but he decided to stay for his senior year. Maybe Courtland Sutton from SMU is still around who is a big sumbitch at 6' 4" 215lbs with like 4.5ish speed. He's a legit matchup problem because of his size and figures to be a hell of a red zone target from his touchdown production. James Washington from Oklahoma State is another one who could end up being a 2nd rounder because of his limited route tree in a spread offense but he's got the tangibles like 4.4ish speed, power, vertical, body control. He's not exactly tall at 6' 0" but the majority of his height is in his legs making him appear big aside from that he isn't exactly lanky at 220 lbs. Equanimeous St. Brown from Notre Dame who seems to be projected as a 2nd rounder is another tall 6' 4" target although on the lighter side at 190 lbs with 4.4ish speed and he's pretty smart. 4.0 GPA student that speaks 4 languages and both of his younger brothers play wide receiver too.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I'm really hoping Mayfield and Allen have really good practices and play and interview well. The better the top 4 QB's do the better it is for us to either drop a player down or have Washington or Arizona to come up and grab one of the top 4 with us.

If Cousins leaves Washington then I see them as an ideal trade partner.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bowen re: James Washington:

After checking out tape on Washington, I wanted to see him work against press coverage and showcase enough lateral speed to shake defensive backs. Even with the highlight reel of deep ball shots he put together versus Big 12 defenses, beating press and separating are key to getting the ball in the pros. And I did see some positives from Washington (5-10, 210) during one-on-ones Tuesday. A quick move at the line and go -- then stack on top. That allowed Washington to separate on a couple of deep-ball opportunities, and he also displayed solid foot speed during change-of-direction work in individual drills. This is a big week for Washington in both one-on-one and team periods to showcase his grasp of the route tree and the technique necessary to slip tight coverage.

I keep seeing different heights and weights reported for Washington. I'm just going to wait for his combine measurables.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I keep seeing different heights and weights reported for Washington. I'm just going to wait for his combine measurables.

He was officially measured already. 5'10 7/10 210 pounds 33 7/8 arms 9 5/8 hands.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He came in at 5'11" 210lbs yesterday.

He does 2 things that the Bears need him to

1. Get deep

2. Run after the catch, dude is built like a RB.

His testing numbers will play into it as well. The Chiefs WRs all have outstanding explosion and change or direction numbers and that is not by accident.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

1. Get deep

His testing numbers will play into it as well. The Chiefs WRs all have outstanding explosion and change or direction numbers and that is not by accident.

Oh I am not worried at all about his size. He's a powerful receiver for his height and fast for 210lbs. I believe his college playing weight was closer to 220. Guess he dropped 10 pounds but he was also being given an inch by being reported as 6' 0" lol so I wouldn't be surprised if they were wrong about his weight too. He's still a guy that I am interested in regardless.

My combine measurables remark has more to do with knowing his wingspan, vertical and official 40 yard dash. To gauge his catch radius and speed.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:

1. Get deep

His change of direction and quickness in his routes is what I am most interested in seeing. He looks stiff on tape so this is a big week for him.

He can fly though they clocked him at 21.25 mph yesterday (fastest on the south team), Gallup was fastest on north team with 20.69 mph

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Josh Allen sounds like Jay Cutler 2.0. Looks like Tarzan from a physical standpoint, plays like Jane. Of course, still early and he might figure it out unlike Smokin Jay.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

1. Get deep

I've charted 5 OSU games as of today and his RB build is being overblown in terms of YAC ability. He's often running wide open in soft zones.

Based on what I've seen and only that I see little to no ability to create in a short area (which is the most common scenario in the NFL) and break a tackle like his build would suggest. I agree with Rawdawg.

He's not Kirk. He's not even Anthony Miller or DJ Moore.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I've charted 5 OSU games as of today and his RB build is being overblown in terms of YAC ability. He's often running wide open in soft zones.

Based on what I've seen and only that I see little to no ability to create in a short area (which is the most common scenario in the NFL) and break a tackle like his build would suggest. I agree with Rawdawg.

He's not Kirk. He's not even Anthony Miller or DJ Moore.

I concur.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have James Washington concreted into my Rnd 2 pick for the Bears in my first personal Mock for this off season, cant decide on the rest of the rounds yet so not posting til after Senior Bowl week.

I am a big fan of his, could be just what the Bears need to pair up with FA WR signings.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah I watched Washington a few times this year. Not great short area quickness, not a polished route runner, mostly build up speed. He did have decent long speed though and catches the ball pretty well. But probably a third round type guy.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Everyone talks about Nagy having a "mold" for a WR... Anybody watch Alshon catch 2 TD's last weekend in this offense or was I dreaming? Pretty sure Nagy can work with good WR's no matter their "mold", actually he may even want to bring in different guys, like Jeffreeez.