The Senior Bowl Thread

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like James Washington had a really good day today.

Nobody here has mentioned Will Hernandez, but it sounds like he's been great both days.

Will Hernandez had a good day

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Am I just listening to too much Greg Gabriel (some will say any GG is too much, but I like him as a knowledgeable evaluator and complete jackass) and there are legitimately top grades on 4 QBs? Or is it more a function of either need, or lack of elite players at other positions?

IIRC, Gabriel was adamant last year that Kizer was the best QB in the draft.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
DAY 2

Todd McShay re: the QB's:

Mayfield

Mayfield's instincts really stood out to me today. He's naturally gifted in that department, and 46 college starts have helped him sharpen the tool. Specifically, I thought Mayfield was identifying coverages quickly and anticipating throws. His two rail shots down the right and left sideline during 7-on-7 drills were prime examples. The second one -- down the left sideline -- was especially impressive because he knew the wind was directly into his face, and he adjusted the trajectory of his throw to help the ball cut through it.

The other thing that stood out to me was Baker's taking mental reps while another quarterback was taking the real reps. While standing slightly off to the side and about 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, Baker went through the entire pre- and post-snap process as if he were under center. When you're 6 feet tall and don't have an elite arm, you have to be better at the little things. It's what makes guys such as Drew Brees and Russell Wilson great.

Finally, I thought Mayfield's energy and charisma came out today in team drills as well. He's clearly getting settled in after absorbing a ton of new information on Tuesday. Wednesday was a good day for Baker.

Allen

Like Mayfield, Allen got better as the practice went along. He continues to have ups and downs with accuracy, though, and it seemed like he might have been pressing in individual drills against Mayfield. He has been late a couple times with where he wants to go or has hung onto the ball too long, which I've seen on tape as well. Still, I thought he settled into a groove in team drills and made the most positive throws. Once again, his arm strength is a clear asset in windy conditions.

Falk

I'd contend that he has been the most consistent quarterback here. He's playing faster than other signal-callers and seems really relaxed on the practice field. He made a nice pump-fake on a rollout to his left, which got the defender in the air and allowed an easy completion. Like Mayfield, he does the little things well, and the talk of how fast Falk picks things up is showing up on the field. He throws a really catchable ball. It was another good day for him.

Mike White

White might have had the best day of the QBs, making some eye-opening throws. He had to ask the center who the middle linebacker was on a play, but you never know exactly what college quarterbacks are taught, so I'm less concerned with that. I thought he flashed a lot of potential on Wednesday.

More McShay:

Marcus Davenport

Through the two most important practices of the week, Davenport has declared himself. He's the best player here. Long and explosive with a quick get-off, he can threaten offensive tackles with both speed and power. He was also able to advance the pass rush, even when an offensive lineman won initial leverage, which is what separates the great pass-rushers from the good ones. I watched his Baylor tape on Tuesday night, and he must've played 70 plays but was still making tackles for loss in the fourth quarter. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a top-15 pick.

DaeSean Hamilton

Hamilton stood out Wednesday because he continued to create separation as a route runner in both one-on-ones and team periods. He got open all day. I'm looking at the out cuts, inside breaking routes and quick game. Hamilton (6-foot-1, 202 pounds) has a smooth gait when he drives off the ball, and there is some wiggle in hips to set up defensive backs at the break point. Sink at the top of the route, and generate speed to pull away from the coverage. And then do it again. We will need to get a 40 time on Hamilton during the pre-draft process, but he showed the necessary game speed with that route-running skill set. It was an impressive day for the Penn State product.

They also spoke well of:

Jordan Akins
Levi Wallace
Tyquan Lewis
Justin Jones
Jamil Demby
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Armani Watts
Ian Thomas
Kyzir White

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I watched them a lot (married into an ND family), my 2 cents:

Nelson is a true stud.

McGlinchy is a bit overrated, probably more a late first, second round type player.

St. Brown is overrated, more like a 3rd-4th rounder.

Jerry Tillery is a player probably few have heard of, but I think he's going to be a solid NFL DT. Round 4 type player. Good length and stout against the run.

Josh Adams, to me, is about a 4th or 5th rounder. Fast, but a little upright and stiff.

Tillery is coming back to school and FWIW, Tillery isn't an NFL DT to me right now. Maybe that changes with his performance for ND in 2018 but not sure he has the mentality for it. Could be a guy that gets moved to OT at some point in the NFL.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can you do some kind of write up on ND players that are eligible to be drafted this year?

I like when a fan of a team can be honest about players, especially the negative comments.

Yeah. I'll do that today/tomorrow. I'll post it in it's own thread.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Speaking of Golden Tate...

Kirk is a compact, muscled-up WR. He's built like a running back and plays in the slot as well as outside. He's an exceptional route runner. He understands how to leverage defensive backs, sell double-moves and cleanly enter/exit the break point. He has strong hands and tracks the ball smoothly. He does a lot of work in the middle of the field and doesn't let the heavy traffic affect his concentration. I love his strength, elusiveness and will after the catch. Kirk reminds me a lot of Golden Tate coming out of Notre Dame, and I believe he can have similar success. — Daniel Jeremiah

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Anyone watching the Senior Bowl practice on ESPNU right now?? They got d-line and o-line going against each other right now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Where you working. We should report them for child labour.

Wow, now that is some funny stuff right there. Keep up the good comedy work.You have to have talent to come up with something that funny.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
What round is Mike White projected. I’d take a late round flier if available.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Davenport flashing early. A sack, a pass breakup, and pressure.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Josh Allen lacks vision & accuracy. The unknown QB Mike White for the South team has been the best QB in the 1st half.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Davenport is beasting. Would love him and Floyd on the field.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know what you guys are worried about. Its a certainty we are going to either land a great pick at #8 or end up trading that pick down for more picks. The way I see it Pace is going to make out well regardless at #8.