The White Sox Offseason And Hot Stove Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Never I d I got it. We would have to forfeit a second round pick for a free agent with a qualifying offer from their 2013 team. Thank god that means no Granderson.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
@ScottLauber: Source suggested Saltalamacchia could draw interest from White Sox, Cubs, Phillies, Marlins and possibly Yankees #RedSox

Boston reporter. I know baseball FA is slow but I hope we sign salty this week

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
So if we signed a major free agent, although very unlikely, like McCann what would it cost us draft pick wise?

Salty is who I think we get at catcher. We're gona trade a starter like Santiago or Danks for a position player per Scott merkin

@scottmerkin: @HEELPags Just thinking out loud. But White Sox will trade a starter to fill another need ~

Fowler wouldn't be bad. Only under control for 2 more seasons though.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
@ScottLauber: Source suggested Saltalamacchia could draw interest from White Sox, Cubs, Phillies, Marlins and possibly Yankees #RedSox

Boston reporter. I know baseball FA is slow but I hope we sign salty this week

I'm kind of on the fence with Salty. Really low OBP, Salty makes a better platoon player.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
So if we signed a major free agent, although very unlikely, like McCann what would it cost us draft pick wise?

Salty is who I think we get at catcher. We're gona trade a starter like Santiago or Danks for a position player per Scott merkin

@scottmerkin: @HEELPags Just thinking out loud. But White Sox will trade a starter to fill another need ~

Fowler wouldn't be bad. Only under control for 2 more seasons though.

EDIT: Really bad in centre, though, -24 DRS.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
id prefer to go much much cheaper and just get AJ back. fangraphs already posted value of handling a pitching staff and he is in the top 5. he is a fan fav and durable. if they spend money I want it to be on 1 starter and an outfield spot. and no...do not trade de aza.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
id prefer to go much much cheaper and just get AJ back. fangraphs already posted value of handling a pitching staff and he is in the top 5. he is a fan fav and durable. if they spend money I want it to be on 1 starter and an outfield spot. and no...do not trade de aza.

I've come around to basically all of this.

1) Is McCann a better option? Prossibly. But let's be honest, neither him or AJ is the catcher of the future long term for the White Sox. AJ is cheaper, knows the club, can handle the staff and be a productive hitter from the spot. He's also shown willingness to allow a young backup to play without being disgruntled about it.

2) I don't think too many White Sox fans complained when Danks was signed long term. He was young. Showing loads of good things and was slighted to be the Buerhle replacement. It hasn't worked out so far. In reality probably will be a lose contract for the club. But....he is a year away from injury. Perhaps things come together for him in 2014. I know you don't want to go Lefty, Lefty, but if they are good, who cares, right? That said, Danks is at best a 3 realistically and probably now is just a top notch 4. Getting a #2 would be great for this club.

3) I think the biggest issue is with Tank. He doesn't give us enough power and he's kinda of clogging our OF a bit. I'd love for him to try 3b, but perhaps his position should be DH and just focus on being a hitter. I think WE fall in love with his size and say, Why isn't he hitting 30+ HR's a year. This will surely be the one year he breaks out. But again, reality says this chance is getting slimmer and slimmer. And at least for me it kinda sucks because I think he's a nice kid and really looks like a "White Sox type" player. But I think the right move would be to get a replacement in LF and that would be De Aza.

4) Go after Ellsbury. I know his injury history. I know his age. And I know that his age will catch up to his legs sooner than later. That said, he's incredible and if he can stay healthy will be at a top level for at least 3 years and wishful thinking says 5. Eventually you got to roll the dice on a big contract for a hitter again. I think it's a gamble worth taking.

5) So for the pitcher, I would probably package Dayan, and either Q or Santiago up with him for that #2 pitcher. That gives you a rotation of Sale, #2, Danks, Q/Santiago, and Johnson as your starting 5. It also allows you the ability to sign ellsbury to play CF. And the all important payroll is still under $90 million by quite a bit.

Gosh, I love pie, especially from the sky. :yum:

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Would you try and package tank, Q and beckham for Giancarlo Stanton? Lol wishful thinking I kid I kid

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Would you try and package tank, Q and beckham for Giancarlo Stanton? Lol wishful thinking I kid I kid

Not I

1) It's not enough of a package
2) They'll get better offers
3) He's not the total package and is not elite in any area.

commence the ":lol:" at me

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
I'm dreaming again but what about a package for Cargo he's my favorite non sox player?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
We can spend wisely and still rebuild. We don't have to spend crazy.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A true rebuild cant happen as the attendance would be 2k per game

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Ya. Thus spending wisely. I like ellsbury but a $100 mil on a CF who is injury prone? I'm not keen on that

Status
Not open for further replies.