Theo Epstein Delivers Death Sentence to Chicago Cubs Future

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So were saying if Cubs spent money on Ryu, Yu, Cespdes, that they wouldnt be a different ball club?? None of those guys are short term. They all would have been long term and MLB ready. Now team is praying on guys in AA and A ball to become what Ryu, Cespdes, Yu have turned into

I am saying that the gulf between the Cubs and the top teams in the divsion is more than three players. Though if we are talking about these players did you happen to see the number Cespedes put up this season?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Wow, this thread is a fucking joke. For as long as I've been a Cubs fan, their farm system has always been a fucking joke till now, with one of the lowest staffed, most under-funded minor league systems owned by a major league team. It was total shit.

Theo is rebuilding this bitch from the ground up, and we got some impatient numnuts' who are mad because the Cubs aren't the Yankees or Dodgers.

Then go cheer for them you fuckos!

There's no guarantees. No one knows if this is going to work. But by doing it thr right way from the ground up, it gives you a better chance for sustained success, ala the braves of the 90s.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, this thread is a fucking joke. For as long as I've been a Cubs fan, their farm system has always been a fucking joke till now, with one of the lowest staffed, most under-funded minor league systems owned by a major league team. It was total shit.

Theo is rebuilding this bitch from the ground up, and we got some impatient numnuts' who are mad because the Cubs aren't the Yankees or Dodgers.

There's no guarantees. No one knows if this is going to work. But by doing it thr right way from the ground up, it gives you a better chance for sustained success, ala the braves of the 90s.

I rather be like sustained success of ala NYY 27 WS

Also a BIG MARKET should be able to build up farm, scouts etc WHILE putting capable MLB team on the field

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Trust me, I have for almost two years now. I've been a lot happier.

Who wants to spend an entire lifetime or 2 waiting?...having hopes dashed year after year decade upon decade.

And that projected $50M payroll next year is bullshit. The Rickettes family have deep pockets, particularly the father whose $$ was used to purchase the team.

They could be spending more to at least field a respectable product, since "wait til' next year" no longer applies.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

Give it 10 years or so, when you still have no ring...then you'll understand.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Farm systems just got popular recently with fans. I highly doubt you followed much before the Theo hiring. And yes, the Cubs have had top 5 farms before. I think people miss some of the points by other posters because people cant see past their own hand.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Farm systems just got popular recently with fans. I highly doubt you followed much before the Theo hiring. And yes, the Cubs have had top 5 farms before. I think people miss some of the points by other posters because people cant see past their own hand.

Truer words have not been spoken.

Most cub fans still cant figure out how I pulled the coin out of their ear.......magic

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Funny that the top 5 farm system preceded the first division title the Cubs won in 14 years and the closest the Cubs have been to a World Series since 1984...

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I rather be like sustained success of ala NYY 27 WS

Also a BIG MARKET should be able to build up farm, scouts etc WHILE putting capable MLB team on the field

Except they can't.

The trib made a lot of bad deals and sweetheart deals that the cubs are trying to get out of.

When the renovations are done on wrigley and they get a new TV deal, you'll see more cash roll in for the club. For now Ricketts needs to pay off the people he borrowed from to buy the team.

That and the Comcast sportsnet was a horrible deal. The trib went in as part owner of the station, but the indication is the lawyers are trying to get out of the deal so the Cubs can do their own CUBS station like the yankees have YES - which allows the yanks to print money.

But hey, you keep stickin your head in the sand on those and keep talking out your ass about what the CUBS should do and should be, while ignoring the reality of the situation.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Been following since hendry fucko

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Seattle has an excellent farm system and have been dogshit for how long now? Prospects don't mean shit if they're not helping your big league team win.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
There are guarantees in baseball. Once the renovations are done the owners are guaranteed to make huge money. Spend it now skinflints.

The "owners" have to pay off debt? They borrowed from themselves. What is Joe gonna ground son Tommy till it's a profitable venture? Get Rreal

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny that the top 5 farm system preceded the first division title the Cubs won in 14 years and the closest the Cubs have been to a World Series since 1984...

Ownership was also very cheap preceding that. I have no problem with the farm. People are just two one sided

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hendry was the GM since early 2000s lmao. That doesn't prove jack shit. Some people on here are 16-21. Hendry/Hoyer maybe the only GM's they have followed.

What? Do you know when MLB has had farm systems? He followed since Hendry congrats! Its been a long time before that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hendry was the GM since early 2000s lmao. That doesn't prove jack shit. Some people on here are 16-21. Hendry/Hoyer maybe the only GM's they have followed.

Meybe I mistook you. I been drinking. Maybe you are saying its comical as well?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- Now that the Cubs have a manager in place, the next step is to stock the roster, and Theo Epstein, president of baseball operations, said they are in the market for more pitching.

"We need to add some quality," Epstein said Friday.

Rick Renteria was named the Cubs' 53rd manager on Thursday, and Epstein said they are in the process of determining the rest of the coaching staff. Pitching coach Chris Bosio may return, but nothing has been finalized.

Next week, Epstein will have face-to-face talks with representatives for free agents at the General Managers Meetings. The Cubs have traded 40 percent of their starting rotation the last two seasons, but Epstein said they are not looking for free agents who they can sign and then flip at the Trade Deadline.

"Every starting pitcher we acquire is someone we hope is starting Game 1 of the World Series for us," Epstein said.

Last offseason, the Cubs courted free agents Anibal Sanchez and Edwin Jackson. Sanchez signed with the Tigers and went 14-8 with a 2.57 ERA in 29 starts, while Jackson agreed to a four-year, $52 million deal with the Cubs and finished 8-18 with a 4.98 ERA in 31 starts.

"We believe there's a lot better ahead for Edwin Jackson," Epstein said of the right-hander, who led the Majors in losses. "He stayed healthy for the entire season, he's still only 30 years old, and his underlying performance was better than the stat line that you read on the scoreboard, and he never quit. He's certainly somebody who can impact us and fill a rotation spot going forward."

Jackson will join Travis Wood, Jeff Samardzija and Jake Arrieta in the Cubs' 2014 rotation, but Epstein would like to add another starter. The Cubs will talk to Scott Baker, who spent the year rehabbing from Tommy John surgery and now is a free agent, but the right-hander also is exploring other options.

Who will shut the door?
The Cubs also are in the market for a closer. After Carlos Marmol struggled and was then traded, and Kyuji Fujikawa was injured, Kevin Gregg stepped in and totaled 30-plus saves for the third time in his career. He's now a free agent and shopping around.

"We have guys who could close," Epstein said of the Cubs' in-house options, "but I think that's an opportunity for us. If you go to market with the closer's role ready to bestow on somebody, that can help you sign a pretty good pitcher and can help your club. ... We're going to hit the market with a full closing opportunity to offer to the right pitcher we acquire, either through free agency or a trade, and know we have some interesting options in house."

One of the players currently on the roster who could close is right-hander Pedro Strop, acquired from the Orioles in the Scott Feldman deal.

Next for Bryant? Double-A and Triple-A success
Kris Bryant, the Cubs' No. 1 pick in the June First-Year Player Draft and ranked as the No. 4 prospect in the organization, is making the most of his opportunity in the Arizona Fall League. The third baseman ranked among the AFL leaders in batting average, home runs and RBIs, but that won't guarantee him a spot on the Cubs' Opening Day roster.

Epstein said players are told they need to dominate at each level before they are moved up. Bryant has responded to that challenge, batting .354 at short-season Boise, then .333 at Class A Advanced Daytona. But the Cubs want to see that same effort at the Double-A and Triple-A levels.

"He's a very advanced college bat who put up historically good power production at the college level," Epstein said of Bryant, who led the nation in home runs at San Diego. "Traditionally if someone is going to come out of the Draft and dominate, it's that type of player, that elite position player."

Optimism taking root at Minor League level
The Cubs may not have won a World Series since 1908, but that hasn't dampened the enthusiasm among the Minor League players. Epstein said he was impressed by the morale of the young players during instructional league this fall.

"Our players fully believe in the 'Cubs Way,'" he said. "They believe in their instructors and each other."

Minor League field coordinator Tim Cossins led the instructional league players on a mountain climb in Arizona, and everyone took part.

"I believe in what we're teaching, how we're teaching it, and the amount our players are buying in and the progress we're making," Epstein said. "We need that to continue at the big league level. We need that kind of morale and belief and progress at the big league level. If we don't, we're going to fail."

Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. She writes a blog, Muskat Ramblings, and you can follow her on Twitter @CarrieMuskat. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Meybe I mistook you. I been drinking. Maybe you are saying its comical as well?

He is saying perhaps he isn't even old enough to have followed any GM prior to Hendry... e.g. my own situation (18)