Theoretical Off Season Changes If We Had A Real GM

supraman

Liked Posts:
But he sent the vote in late.

HawkingBoo1.jpg

Nice

cplmac

Liked Posts:
I'm not gonna think on this topic for another week or so until the aggrivation has subsided. Five straight OT's and then getting skunked? Something isn't right.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
After listening to Q's press conference last night, nothing short of firing him will suffice. Apparently, the Hawks weren't patient enough against Phoenix, and they can't be trading chances with them. Because Phoenix is such an offensive juggernaut? The guy plays not to lose, instead of playing to win.

By the way, what the fuck were these morons thinking, putting Kruger, Morrison, Oduya, and Hammer on the ice together for that first PP goal Phoenix scored? Were they TRYING to lose?

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
After listening to Q's press conference last night, nothing short of firing him will suffice. Apparently, the Hawks weren't patient enough against Phoenix, and they can't be trading chances with them. Because Phoenix is such an offensive juggernaut? The guy plays not to lose, instead of playing to win.

By the way, what the fuck were these morons thinking, putting Kruger, Morrison, Oduya, and Hammer on the ice together for that first PP goal Phoenix scored? Were they TRYING to lose?

Maybe Q has a better job lined up with another team, but needs to get Fired.

Like George "Body Suit Man" Costanza

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
New coaching philosphy, as in probably a new coach. I like Q but his his ability to not adapt but go into a shell hurt them this year. Special teams were awful and so was the team defense. It was obvious that Tippett and the Yotes played a solid defensive game and that was what in the end led them to take the series.

I'd like to see the Hawks add a physical DMan who can be reliable in his own zone. Seabrook was our best Dman this season. He's not afraid to take the body and get dirty. OD wasn't afraid either, but guys needed to accidentally run into him in order for him to make contact. The fact other teams can take the puck with ease into the "house" and get quality scoring opportunities game after game killed the Hawks. Adding another guy in their who will put a body on a guy will make the oppositions job tougher and force more perimeter play.

I'd like Stan to check out the available goalies this off season. Crawford is average at best. I've never been as nervous for a shot on goal outside of Huet than Crawford being in net. He's too inconsistent and lets in some softies that kills momentum. It could very well be the fact that he see's 10-15 quality scoring chances a night, but I still don't think he's better than average and with out lack of a commitment to defense, you need to be better than average.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Just a sophomore slump bud. Dead Wings fans were ready to run Howard out of town last season.

Crawford leaves, I guarantee he plays amazing on another team (especially one with a defensive system)

Ton

Liked Posts:
Crawford has all the right tools to be a good goaltender, while I want to believe it is a sophomore slump that has stunted his development you also have to consider his mental game has not been on par with the elite. Let's hope that this season was a learning experience for him rather than a Mason experience. I tend to believe that he will turn it around next season, all the signs point towards improvement.

That said, I don't blame Crawford for this series loss, there are far too many factors to consider before pointing the finger at goaltending. Anyone that does point the finger at Crawford really has no solid concept on goaltending. For me, I would be extremely frustrated and confused playing for a team like the Hawks. He may blame himself, when really there is no blame to be placed due to ineffective team defense.

Haven't seen many goaltenders left out to dry this year than Crawford has, even in the elimination game, I can't compare any shot that Mike Smith faced to the last three goals Crawford let in.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
I think he's more mentally tough now than I did a few months ago.

The way he bounced back after those two OT goals and played lights out in game 5. Even after that goal he let in in game 5, he just got up, cleared the crease and went back to play. I was really impressed.

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
I heard he nominated Dale.

I heard that the same thing, but I also heard that he faxed it in late so it didn't count!

Just saw the other responses and see that I am late to the show. I will go to the box and feel shame!

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since Crow was brought up, I think he is a good goalie. Not a great, but good. It was my highest hopes the Hawks would be built outside of the net like Vanc...er...Pittsburg with 4 solid natural centers, Detroit's goalies (cheap and solid), and always retain at least 5 very solid D players. Centers have been a dibacle and D, well, hard to complain when I think Leddy will truly be a star and Oduya has been a great addition and I hope he can be retained.

That said Crow fits the goalie. While I would love to have a superstar goalie, they are incredibly rare, as we all know. And even if you think you found one, consistant play is even more rare. Not to mention no goalie can be a rockstar without solid D, superstar or not. I dont think that replacing Crow is the answer and Crow/Emery I think are a solid goaltending tandem.

So in all seriousness what do I want to see? The same damn broken record i have played for 3 years now: 2nd line center. Natural center. Not this crap with Kane you play center... no no...Krugar, you go ahead, wait, how about Sharp? Hjammer, want to play center? Toews, X (I wanted Vermette from 3 years ago when he was cheap and available), Davie, and Mayers (who has certainly been the best of Q's old man choices). Note: To be fair, I think that the guys that have played center havent done a bad job really, but guys like Davie and Toews are natural centers. Kane and Sharp arent, no matter how long they may have played center with whatever team in the past.

Ditch the old wood because it doesnt work with the way Hawks play, hell the way the NHL plays now. There is no room for it and I dont think a "veteran lockerroom" is needed.

I also joke about Q and certainly understand he has won about 600 more NHL games as a coach then I have, but he is stale. He seems stuck in a mode of thinking. The best his line change experiments have ever been was Havlat, Davie, Ladd, which was truly brilliant. But based on the rest, it looks more like sun shining on the dog's ass instead of truly knowing his guys and talent. Just basic things, like having 3 left shooters on a line together. I am not a hockey knowledge god nor ever drawn a paycheck for hockey and that to me is just... dumb. From absolutely no basis in fact, it looks like to me nobody wants to play for Q, or least doesnt know how.

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
Crawford has all the right tools to be a good goaltender, while I want to believe it is a sophomore slump that has stunted his development you also have to consider his mental game has not been on par with the elite. Let's hope that this season was a learning experience for him rather than a Mason experience. I tend to believe that he will turn it around next season, all the signs point towards improvement.

That said, I don't blame Crawford for this series loss, there are far too many factors to consider before pointing the finger at goaltending. Anyone that does point the finger at Crawford really has no solid concept on goaltending. For me, I would be extremely frustrated and confused playing for a team like the Hawks. He may blame himself, when really there is no blame to be placed due to ineffective team defense.

Haven't seen many goaltenders left out to dry this year than Crawford has, even in the elimination game, I can't compare any shot that Mike Smith faced to the last three goals Crawford let in.

So the two overtime goals were unstopable? the second one that slipped by him like it was on slow-mo? The team overall was a big disappointment, aside from Toews. Sharp, Bolland, Kane, ect ect....seems like our bench and call ups seem to find the net in the playoffs these past two year. BUT this series could have easily be in our favor IF Craw had stopped one of the two those shoot the puck goals allowed. Look everyone has their opinion on goalies thats fine but the people in here can expect to have everyone think that Crawford is our future, I don't think he is. Teams that are playing great are building teams around goalies, ala St louis, Nashville, Phoenix, LA. Crawford is not even in the same breath as them. Crawford is good at best IMO. This team needs to address the D right away, the offense is there, but the D has major issues. Kitchen should be shown the door as we speak. Many want to see Stan gone. I am not one of them, not just yet. I think Tallon had some time to build this team, Stan should be allowed the same. But IMO it should be Toews that should be asked who he wants on this team from free agents thats out there not the coach. Lets all hope for a great offseason.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Ottawa thought Elliot was good at best

Chicago thought Anderson was good at best

Dallas AND Tampa thought Smith was good at best

Colorado thought Thomas was good at best

once you start dipping into the UFA's and big trades for that "Franchise goalie" You get Marty Turcos, Nik Khabibulans, Dwayne Rolosons and Tomas Vokouns.

When a team has a franchise goalie, they HOLD ONTO HIM.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Ottawa thought Elliot was good at best

Chicago thought Anderson was good at best

Dallas AND Tampa thought Smith was good at best

Colorado thought Thomas was good at best

once you start dipping into the UFA's and big trades for that "Franchise goalie" You get Marty Turcos, Nik Khabibulans, Dwayne Rolosons and Tomas Vokouns.

When a team has a franchise goalie, they HOLD ONTO HIM.

Crawford aint a Franchise goalie.

BigPete

Liked Posts:
Trade Kane shit is in the air again. Rosenbutthead at the Tribune just did an article on it. You guys should read the comments, I can't believe how dumb some 'fans' are.

Simple reasons that Kane didn't score any goals:

A - Scooter should have gotten Paul Gaustad from Buffalo at the deadline and we would have had a second line center.

B - Kane's value is not just about him scoring goals, when are people going to realize that.

C - It's hard to score when your gameplan (from Q) is to carry the puck over the line and then you have shitty wingers who don't create any space for the guy.

Trading this kid would be a horrible move. Scooter needs to make better moves to replace hard nosed wingers like Buff, Ladd, Steeger, Eager, Burish, Kopecky, et all from the Cup winning season.

BigPete

Liked Posts:
Crawford aint a Franchise goalie.

Crawford is fine. He was not used properly. A second year pro at 27 should not be expected to play 7 or 8 games in a row and 65 games over the season. Now if you mean, franchise goalie like Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur, well, there are not very many of those guys out there and they certainly had their own learning curve in the first 3 years that often gets overlooked.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Trade Kane shit is in the air again. Rosenbutthead at the Tribune just did an article on it. You guys should read the comments, I can't believe how dumb some 'fans' are.

Simple reasons that Kane didn't score any goals:

A - Scooter should have gotten Paul Gaustad from Buffalo at the deadline and we would have had a second line center.

B - Kane's value is not just about him scoring goals, when are people going to realize that.

C - It's hard to score when your gameplan (from Q) is to carry the puck over the line and then you have shitty wingers who don't create any space for the guy.

Trading this kid would be a horrible move. Scooter needs to make better moves to replace hard nosed wingers like Buff, Ladd, Steeger, Eager, Burish, Kopecky, et all from the Cup winning season.

Trading Kane isn't an answer. Only way I would even think of it is if we were getting someone in the next tier above his caliber, which aren't many.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Crawford is fine. He was not used properly. A second year pro at 27 should not be expected to play 7 or 8 games in a row and 65 games over the season. Now if you mean, franchise goalie like Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur, well, there are not very many of those guys out there and they certainly had their own learning curve in the first 3 years that often gets overlooked.

That's what I meant, not a Roy or Brodeur. I think he's average at best. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrible.

BigPete

Liked Posts:
Trading Kane isn't an answer. Only way I would even think of it is if we were getting someone in the next tier above his caliber, which aren't many.

Right, give us Stamkos and we'll trade Kane. Otherwise, dumb ass idea. This kid is just one person, he is not all 12 forwards, all 6 Dmen, and both goalies.

BigPete

Liked Posts:
That's what I meant, not a Roy or Brodeur. I think he's average at best. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrible.

I agree. But average is just fine. Average can and has won plenty of cups. There are many other guys on the ice during a game, and the world should not rest on the goalies shoulders.

His 'soft goals' in the OT losses could have happened to anyone. Why does everyone ignore that the D played just as big of a role in those 'soft goals'? It is so narrow minded and such scapegoat hunting BS.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So I'm in the boat that so far Corey has been good but not show stopper, and I do think he may have that extra gear. I keep looking at the fact that he had no shutouts all year and I can't help but wonder if that's his fault of the hawks d fault. How many games did they let a meaningless goal in late in the game to ruin a shutout? Is that mental toughness on the D, or on the G... just random thoughts not making a real point but I do have a question for the more knowledgeable NHL goalie folks. Technically isn't he in his second real season? You can say sophomore slump if you want because it's there for a reason, but realistically, how many goalies come out in their first two years and really destroy the league and go on to be franchise type guys? Including lookin at Rex's list above, I feel like are hard and painful as it is, goalies need to grow into their dominance and if you aren't patient enough you lose them and they go somewhere else and click, I feel like it happens all over the league but I don't pay attention enough to know so I was just wondering what folks thought, like Sexy Rexy was mentioning, we've seen it with the hawks as well. It's also a main reason I'd really really really really love to see a solid very young goalie in at backup instead of the rent a goalie for a year type of thing. I get you need to have a solid backup but for some reason this team has always played well in front of any backup and if it's a young kid we can have in that spot for some solid years we can maybe take some of that goalie grooming out of the starting job?