Theoretical Off Season Changes If We Had A Real GM

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All the current UFAs can pound sand. Don't want any of them back at this point. The only RFA appears to be Bollig who will be re-signed. I'd like to see them keep all the rookies on the squad (Shaw, Kruger, Hayes, Saad, Bollig, Olsen).

The wild card is McDonut. I'd bet on him pushing for a "splash" move in free agency (high end sniper or stud D-man) or via trade but I hope they don't.

Wondering what they plan with Olecz. Buy out, buried in the AHL, or back to Europe? AS for the other prospects Smith, Danis-Peppin, Didomenico, Hutton and Makarov are RFA. I'd let Danis-Peppin and Makarov go and re-sign the rest.

I see a coaching shake up coming. Maybe a clean sweep.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My top 5 things that need to be addressed going into next year:

5. Goaltending: Barring a trade, I think it's fairly safe to say that both Crawford and Emery will be back, and in retrospect, the goaltending was anything from average to good overall--depending on who you ask. Both, at this point, are known quantities in the league and everyone, including the blackhawks, have tapes on them both. The team knows exactly what it will get out of both of them. That being said, Both Howard and Quick had down sophmore years, and Crawford just had his. Crawford does need to address his play and find the right balance of staying in net and cutting down the angle, and prove that this season is what it was--a sophmore slump. Emery being back should provide solid backup, but in all honesty, there's no big FA goaltenders out there and it would be unlikley that one comes via a trade. With guys like Hutton and Halak looking for thir shots Crawford, asuming he stays, will need to elevate his game.

4. Shot Selection: I may be paraphrasing, but I believe Bobby Hull said about the Phoenix series that we need more shot options than shooing into the goalies crest and missing 6 feet wide. While in game 6 Smith made some lights-out post-to-post saves, the majority of the shot he, and every other goalie faced from us this year were right into the crest or about 6 feet wide. Some flew right over the cage, and a sizeable amount went right into the defender's shin. Not only do our guys need to be able to hit a net-sized target more often, but they have to get that shot off quicker, and with guys like Hossa, Toews, Kane, and Sharp, this should not be an issue even though it is. Since few of our players seem to crash the net, we have to improve our accuracy and speed in getting the shots off, or get some guys to take the knocks in front of the net.

3. Special teams: Blame who you want for the abyssimal PP and anemic PK, be it the coach or the players, but the fact is, both need to improve. Our fundamental gameplan on the penalty kill has been figured out, and in an excercise in futility much like Sylvester trying to capture Speedy Gonzales, nothing much has ever be toyed with or tinkered with this year when the bottom fell out of our powerplay. What we've seen this year doesn't work, nor will it work. The coaches need something new that will play to the strength of the team we'll have next year (and not the team we had in 2010, and the plaers need to execute. Guys like Toews and Kane, and to a lesser extent Sharp and Hossa, should not be doing their best Jassen Cullimore impressions and wait for the defenders to close off all passing and shooting lanes.

2. Team D: Almost every single "soft" goal either Crawford or Emery let in this year, follow the play back about 30 seconds and you'll see our team D make a mistake that they teach you not to make in Timbits© Hockey. Be it a blind no-look pass right to a defender, a botched clearing attempt that could have gone through a different lane up the ice, to the puck carrier trying to skate through 3 times their own weight in defenders, our play in our back end was atrocious all year long. Futher, it's not like we were icing scrubs that had the worst play in the back end--we have Selke finalists, a Norris winner, and seasoned vets who. should. know. better. This offseason this needs to be addressed. If the goaltending should be better, the team D needs to be better since both are dependent on each other.

1. Play a full 60: Out of 264 periods played, we maybe played about 176 anywhere near full tilt. In just about ever game, we took 1 period off. Either we took the 1st off and had to climb out from behind the 8-ball, we took the 2nd off and lost a lead that was hell to get back, or we collaped in the 3rd and gave up the lead. For the sheer amount of games we didn't play a full 60 it does beg the question of whether effort or conditioning is to blame. IMHO it doesn't matter. For the core, this year there really was no excuse--there was no cup hangover and the way the team went out had to sting. With a cup hangover they took one of the top teams in the league to the limit, this year, they got shellacked at home. As hot as Smith was, they still took their foot off of the accelerator in the 3rd. Either they were gassed or lost the will to play on as hard as they did early on. Neither will bring home another cup. If Hull's words about cherishing the cup in 2010 because they might not get another one were lost on the boys in 2010, it should be remebered loud-and-clear now. If you want the cup, you have to play a full 60 game-in and game-out. Of all the hing this tearm did wrong this past year, I think that was the one that led to the team falling out of 1st, struggling to keep in the playoff hunt, and then going down to Phoenix.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Simple solution for the off season, bring back Dale.

supraman

Liked Posts:
He was nominated for GM of the Year? Why would the Hawks' front office want him?

because he is terrible at doing the assistant GM's job of sending out the QOs

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Dale was treated so well by the new regime...

My guess is McCub makes a play for Luongo.

supraman

Liked Posts:

At that point I do think it is appropriate to send a mob to his house

EDIT:

Better yet we sign Huet to his old deal and we can have 10 million and goaltenders and be useless.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

OMFG, NO FAN LIKES HIM. Why on earth no matter how good the guy is or isnt would they bring a player here fans absolutely loath. I am hoping McDumbass has at least that much sense.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
A player that has 1 goal in 13 playoff games? A player that took dumb penalties like a fucking idiot in game #5 in this series? Who would want him? Answer-Columbus since that's the team he get's about 50% of his production against. Sorry. A stiff like this this gets traded if he returns value.

Thank you. We wanna return to the Finals, swap this 43 point guy for one who scores 40 and does a hell of a lot more.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
you can't give him shit for no PP productivity. Has he ever been played on the PP?

and you say scoring isn't our problem, but it sure was in this series.

I mean I give him shit cause there is a huge need for PP productivity and our 5th man in goals needs to be on that 2nd unit, and make it productive.

And yes scoring was our problem in this series, but Stalbergs 8 goals against the BJ's and 14 others were not what got us to where we ended up. But in the playoffs, yes I do believe play like his is what got us eliminated......again.

Also, talk about his contract, it won't be 875k for long, we have much better options in the pipeline IMO and we could probably get some pretty good return for Stalberg now. I would love to see him moved.

supraman

Liked Posts:
I mean I give him shit cause there is a huge need for PP productivity and our 5th man in goals needs to be on that 2nd unit, and make it productive.

And yes scoring was our problem in this series, but Stalbergs 8 goals against the BJ's and 14 others were not what got us to where we ended up. But in the playoffs, yes I do believe play like his is what got us eliminated......again.

Also, talk about his contract, it won't be 875k for long, we have much better options in the pipeline IMO and we could probably get some pretty good return for Stalberg now. I would love to see him moved.

<

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Akim Aliu is the answer!!

Oh wait... he's a goal per game player and a career 1.5 points per game for the Flames.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:

Dude, you started an off-season thread before game 5. You started a Toews Hall of Fame? thread after his 4th fucking year....I'm not concerned what you think.

Rex, I respect your opinion very much, we'll just disagree on Stalberg....and Beach.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Dude, you started an off-season thread before game 5. You started a Toews Hall of Fame? thread after his 4th fucking year....I'm not concerned what you think.

Rex, I respect your opinion very much, we'll just disagree on Stalberg....and Beach.

Beach too?? He's never played a game!

supraman

Liked Posts:

So what, what is your point in all this? The off-season was going to happen cup champs or not. The Toews thread, did you read what I posted in there or just looked at my profile and read the threads I started. It was the off season it was dull around here, so I brought up a subject of inane debate just to shoot the breeze.