Theoretical Off Season Changes If We Had A Real GM

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Care to state the obvious?

Not all an impossible scenerio. Preds don't want the Hawks getting him obviously and they sure the hell probably don't want Detroit getting him either (which will be rumoured in the off season).

It's a pipe dream but it has possibilities.

There's always the chance that...y'know, he resigns with Nashville?

This whole "prove to me you're serious about winning and I'll resign" thing may actually work!

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
There's always the chance that...y'know, he resigns with Nashville?

This whole "prove to me you're serious about winning and I'll resign" thing may actually work!

Very true.If he wants to stay and the Preds want him (obviously they do) they can make the $$$ and cap hit work.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kitchen, Q, Crawford, Hammer. The order in which guys need to be shipped out. If you can move Hammer and sign Suter, you do that in a fucking heartbeat. If you can send Crawford somewhere to be an expensive backup, you do it, and get a real NHL goalie. After that, you need to look for a center, and LW. Roster holes aside, this team is WAY better than Phoenix, talent wise. The difference was coaching and goaltending.

DING! DING! DING!

Although you know that *I* personally would advocate for Q to be gone and I naturally feel that if that were to happen Kitchen would de facto be tossed on his ass too---a two-fer if you will! lol

Honestly folks can give up the crackpipe dream of wanting Stan to be gone after two consecutive 1st Rd. exits, it just DOESN'T go down this way with GMs. Can anyone name a GM in any pro league that was tossed after 2 seasons? There might me a wild lone exception but right now I honestly can't think of one in the NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA or MLS for that matter. If someone knows of a GM canning otherwise please correct me as I'd be interested in the recall. Coaches are goated up lonnnnng before GMs especially if there is contention that he couldn't eke the best out of talent.

Agree Books.

Stalbergs not going anywhere. Stalberg was not a serious issue this series. No more than any of the other forwards not scoring with the 3 plus mill contracts. Stalberg was a steal this season and got better as the season moved on. Stronger along the boards, stronger passing, stronger forecheck, stronger turns on his stride.

He made a few Yotes defenders look like fools on a lot of his shifts. There was just no support or rebound support as the Yotes did great in collapsing infront of Smith..and Smith...well Smith just had a series any goalkeeper would pray for.

His only real bad game was game 5 with the 4 double minors..thank god the Hawks pulled through those though.

Ill be pissed if Stalberg is anywhere but in a Hawks jersey next year.

Brunnette was the biggest waste of space all year and into the playoffs as far as our forwards go. Hands down the worst.

I think he worked really hard last off-season. He gave that interview to the Hawks site mid-summer where he deflected (or rather trolled, lol) and said he hadn't really been working too much on his game, hadn't really trained, etc. But then lo n' behold he was the player who the trainers said cumulatively was highest in all the camp fitness and strength tests. I think whatever he did shored up his game and helped him to have the season he did.

As for Bruno, dude you know how I feel on this whole matter and that abomination goes without sayin'.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Bookie, I think Dave Nonis was GM for only 3 years lol

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bookie, I think Dave Nonis was GM for only 3 years lol

Awesome! Keep em coming. But 3 seasons seems more reasonably like a number where we might start finding GMs got canned as opposed to two.

Maybe Feaster didn't last more than 2 with TBL?

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Awesome! Keep em coming. But 3 seasons seems more reasonably like a number where we might start finding GMs got canned as opposed to two.

He had to have, he won a cup there.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Pierre Gauthier was GM in Montreal for less than two seasons.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had to have, he won a cup there.

Oh! I just remembered one but really it's a one-off anomaly and true exception---that would be Dudley with the Thrashers.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pierre Gauthier was GM in Montreal for less than two seasons.

Ahahahaha! Leave it to be Les Habitants to get all happy with the emotional trigger finger! Of course.

Still, I contend that basically no matter the pro sport GM's are not given extra-short leashes. They may crack under the pressure and step down or step down because of personal/family matters but by an large? No, they're given some measure of time to either show that they can craft a competitor or they can't.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
in defence of the Habs, Gauthier was a terrible GM.

supraman

Liked Posts:
How many of those do you think actually get done? I'm way past the resign Oduya thing. I want those picks back.

Maybe one if we are lucky

Maybe Rocky will sit back, fire McDonough and put the focus back on the Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Club instead of all the other BS

If that happens can we have a parade

additition by subtraction

no more Brunette

no more Morrison

no more O'Donnell

no more Kitchen

No disagreement from me

Oduya showed his true colors in the playoffs, though. He was the one the Jets fans warned about.

I am not usually a proponent that the Hawks need to hit more, but I am starting to think that they do need to get more physical. As it is now they seemed to get too easily distracted by teams playing a hard checking game, not that distracted to take them out of the game completely, but just enough to get them off slightly so that edge in the beginning of games gets slightly dulled.

Yeah just a little bit more physical not much just a bit more

Kitchen, Q, Crawford, Hammer. The order in which guys need to be shipped out. If you can move Hammer and sign Suter, you do that in a fucking heartbeat. If you can send Crawford somewhere to be an expensive backup, you do it, and get a real NHL goalie. After that, you need to look for a center, and LW. Roster holes aside, this team is WAY better than Phoenix, talent wise. The difference was coaching and goaltending.

The difference was coaching. Crawford didn't have a bad series. Sure a few OT heartbreakers but if we had new coaching I wouldn't mind seeing the goalie tandem again.

Care to state the obvious?

Not all an impossible scenerio. Preds don't want the Hawks getting him obviously and they sure the hell probably don't want Detroit getting him either (which will be rumoured in the off season).

It's a pipe dream but it has possibilities.

Actually I have it from a decent source that Detroit is actually one of the teams he wants to go to. He wanted to stay, go to Detroit, and there was another team in the mix but I never was told who.

supraman

Liked Posts:

He was there more than 2 seasons

Ton

Liked Posts:
What were Crawfords true colors in games 3 and 4 OT goals?

Where was the PP in those games? Why did they even go to OT with this "amazing" offense?

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
'10: Didnt need a coaching staff, my mother could have coached em

'11: Dont hold it against the coaching staff, changes were coming and they were going to be deep

'12: The talent is in place. It truly is Bowman's and Q's team

Hawks didnt lose due to lack of talent.

What do I want?

Ditch the coaching staff and give the job to Havie. Ditch the coaching staff that continues to play guys who are older than me. Ditch the coaching staff that shuffles lines like a Vegas blackjack dealer. Ditch the coaching staff that tried to run the same garbage cross crease PP for months and months when it clearly didnt work. Ditch the coaching staff that cant adjust, has no creativity, and is stuck.

In essence what would I like to see in the off season?

Clearly, Trade Toews.

P.S. I can hardly wait to see what over-priced superstar McCub decides to bring in that Hawks wont need. Gotta have your yearly superstar... He is the like a plague of locusts to a organ-i-zation. GO TWINS! GO CUBS! GO HAWKS!

Tim

Liked Posts:
Admittedly the team has some glaring holes, but a good performing PP would have paid dividends.

It was stunning that the Hawks were carrying the play , go on the PP and lose all momentum.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Admittedly the team has some glaring holes, but a good performing PP would have paid dividends.

It was stunning that the Hawks were carrying the play , go on the PP and lose all momentum.

This 100%... the PP is a huge issue that needs to be addressed before anything else. Whether that means coaching or bringing in another player. No excuse for the Hawks to score 1 PP goal the entire series (19 attempts). Worst PP in the playoffs in comparison to all 16 teams, in fact, dead last at a whooping 5.3% clip.

supraman

Liked Posts:
This 100%... the PP is a huge issue that needs to be addressed before anything else. Whether that means coaching or bringing in another player. No excuse for the Hawks to score 1 PP goal the entire series (19 attempts). Worst PP in the playoffs in comparison to all 16 teams, in fact, dead last at a whooping 5.3% clip.

No way it is a lack of personnel. We have all the personnel to have two very dominate power play units. Whoever runs the PP is a fucking moron and Whoever selects the units is a fucking moron.

Sharp-Toews-Kane-Keith-Seabs (1st unit) Shaw/Stalberg/Hayes-Bolland-Hossa-Oduya-Hammer (2nd unit) Ta fucking da. Of course these are based on our current roster and doesn't factor in who might not be around next season. Hell could even move sharp to the 2nd unit and bring up my list of LWs (mainly shaw/hayes) for the physicality. But putting Sharp and Bolland on the point on the PP is Special person

Ton

Liked Posts:
It all comes down to movement and execution, the Hawks do neither on the power-play.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
$875K cap hit this season and next. Can't see any fucking scenario where a team is gonna let a 43 pt scorer who's likely one of the 3 fastest skaters in the entire League, who proved he can be juggled up and down the lines, who only cost $875K go. On a team who's Special Teams are tantamount to "A Clusterfuck On Ice" show where they could barely score with the advantage they're going to consider getting rid of someone who costs nothing and scored at just over a .500 PPG pace and earned ALL his points at ES? No. Fucking. Way.

This IS the Blackhawks we are talking about.