Thoughts and Observations: Week 2 Seahawks

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I do not think Mitch looked good, but the offense as a unit appeared improved.

He missed some throws for no reason, and we have seen him throw accurately down the field last season so I’m unsure how he misses a guy wide open like Gabriel.

Imo his worst throw of the night was when he tried to force it into the end zone and he should’ve been picked off. That play felt like a DIRECT result of the criticism from the ‘wide open burton’ week 1 fiasco.

On the brighter side he did bounce back from the interceptions and he made a nice throw rolling left for a TD to Miller. I thought he looked slightly better at avoiding the plays where he abandons the pass and runs. He still had a few moments but imo he looked more calm in the pocket.

I would like to see them continue to push the ball downfield and build some confidence in those throws. We have seen trubisky do it last year so I know he has it in him. Continue to push now while the offense is still growing and against a weaker opponent in the cardinals.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Matt Nagy said in his press conference yesterday that he "doesn't care if Mitch throws 4 picks in a half. And I've told him this."

That's good for Mitch to know that the coach has his back and he's on a very long leash. I think a lot of his troubles are just nervousness and insecurity. He'll get over it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Matt Nagy said in his press conference yesterday that he "doesn't care if Mitch throws 4 picks in a half. And I've told him this."

That's good for Mitch to know that the coach has his back and he's on a very long leash. I think a lot of his troubles are just nervousness and insecurity. He'll get over it.

Laurence Holmes said it best, "Nagy needs to beat the Fox out of him"

Hoge and Jahns discuss it on their post game podcast as well. All last season he was coached not to take any risks and now he needs to get over that an cut it loose.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Gabriel had a good game, but I want to see him turn on the juice when he gets the ball... He has tried to juke his way into the open field way too much.

He needs to just turn on the afterburners and run by people, he will likely end up busting off a big run like Hill if he just runs.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Gabriel had a good game, but I want to see him turn on the juice when he gets the ball... He has tried to juke his way into the open field way too much.

He needs to just turn on the afterburners and run by people, he will likely end up busting off a big run like Hill if he just runs.

Can be said for the entire offense. I don't know how many plays I saw where the ball carrier would have green grass in front of them, open for a 1st down, and instead of taking the first down, change direction, try to juke a defender and get tackled a yard short of the 1st down marker. I'm beginning to wonder of Cohen has a gravitational force pulling him toward defenders.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Laurence Holmes said it best, "Nagy needs to beat the Fox out of him"

Hoge and Jahns discuss it on their post game podcast as well. All last season he was coached not to take any risks and now he needs to get over that an cut it loose.

I'm hoping he gets some vision, because it doesn't look like he sees downfield well at all. The pitch to Burton was perfect. there was nobody in between them. add a defender and it seems he goes blind. That's my concern.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Can be said for the entire offense. I don't know how many plays I saw where the ball carrier would have green grass in front of them, open for a 1st down, and instead of taking the first down, change direction, try to juke a defender and get tackled a yard short of the 1st down marker. I'm beginning to wonder of Cohen has a gravitational force pull him toward defenders.

OMG, I was screaming at the tv every time. WTF. Trubisky's was the worse one.

I'm beginning to wonder of Cohen has a gravitational force pull him toward defenders.
I thought sort of the same thing as this.

Reminded me a little of hester in the end of his career, he started wandering all over rather than running to the other endzone.

Thinking far too much rather than just running.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Goods:
Cody Whitehair's snapping was unnoticeable.
Allen Robinson looks to be the real deal.
Jordan Howard's catching.
Anything Khalil Mack
The Bears front 7

Bads:
Run blocking never established itself.
Offensive seems to lack an identity and rhythm due to playcalling. Smash mouth run a little, gadget play a little, throw vertically a little, screen a little.
Defense needs to finish out games. You can say that was a garbage touchdown at the end, but who wasn't on the edge of their seat until Miller snagged the kickoff and ran out of bounds? Sure you don't want to give up 75 yards on a 11 yard pass, but is there no alternative where you just 4 and out them?

An aside: What is the deal with CCS? Everyone on here knew and expected this to be a growth process, the offense with a young QB, a 180 degree shift in offensive philosophy for everyone, all new receiving targets, a young rookie HC. So after 2 weeks with positive signs of growth, an as good as was expected or better record of 1-1, and an electrifying defense, still all the whining. I know there are a certain number of just straight trolls like any message board but I am surprised at some longtime members.

The Trestman and Fox years are water under the bridge, to expect Nagy to have this team come out and be humming like GB or KC is near football illiterate. If Nagy continues to grow weekly, and Trubisky continues to grow weekly, and Burton, Miller continue to grow weekly and the offensive line blocking continues to grow weekly we may go from Fox's Australopitec to Nagy's homo habilis to homo erectus by mid season to homo sapiens by seasons end.
scan00062-1024x540.jpg

Oh and by the way... no homo

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So when does Daniels crack the lineup?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Massie was terrible last night

Amos is still a ghost out there

I still don't get the Cohen hype. I feel like they keep trying to wedge in touches for this guy when Howard is a more effective football player. It may not be as flashy...but it's more effective.

The Bears' Front 7...is very fun.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Goods:
Cody Whitehair's snapping was unnoticeable.
Allen Robinson looks to be the real deal.
Jordan Howard's catching.
Anything Khalil Mack
The Bears front 7

Bads:
Run blocking never established itself.
Offensive seems to lack an identity and rhythm due to playcalling. Smash mouth run a little, gadget play a little, throw vertically a little, screen a little.
Defense needs to finish out games. You can say that was a garbage touchdown at the end, but who wasn't on the edge of their seat until Miller snagged the kickoff and ran out of bounds? Sure you don't want to give up 75 yards on a 11 yard pass, but is there no alternative where you just 4 and out them?

An aside: What is the deal with CCS? Everyone on here knew and expected this to be a growth process, the offense with a young QB, a 180 degree shift in offensive philosophy for everyone, all new receiving targets, a young rookie HC. So after 2 weeks with positive signs of growth, an as good as was expected or better record of 1-1, and an electrifying defense, still all the whining. I know there are a certain number of just straight trolls like any message board but I am surprised at some longtime members.

The Trestman and Fox years are water under the bridge, to expect Nagy to have this team come out and be humming like GB or KC is near football illiterate. If Nagy continues to grow weekly, and Trubisky continues to grow weekly, and Burton, Miller continue to grow weekly and the offensive line blocking continues to grow weekly we may go from Fox's Australopitec to Nagy's homo habilis to homo erectus by mid season to homo sapiens by seasons end.
scan00062-1024x540.jpg

Oh and by the way... no homo

Well when the other 2017 QB's light the world on fire, people will expect results especially when you traded up for the 2nd pick.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Well when the other 2017 QB's light the world on fire, people will expect results especially when you traded up for the 2nd pick.
Watson has regressed and currently sits 0-2 against NE and a Blaine Gabbert led Titans team, Mahommes got plugged in to an established offense he spent 2 offseasons and a regular season learning. Trubisky was always going to take longer to develop. Is that not obvious? If he is still averaging 1 TD and 1 INT and 200yrds+/- and the Bears are 5-8 in the 4th quarter of the season, concern would be more reasonable.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:

I still don't get the Cohen hype. I feel like they keep trying to wedge in touches for this guy when Howard is a more effective football player. It may not be as flashy...but it's more effective.

We need to shore up our Oline in the next few years. We should have some FA dollars, hopefully someone good becomes available

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Biggs wrote today that he doubts any more big contracts are handed out which means Amos might not return

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Thanks Windy... I also enjoy the analysis without all the snarky BS or full on meatball bile that passes for evaluation around here.

I was at the game and from my seats, I can see the whole field.

Some quick thoughts...

Nagy can certainly scheme guys open. When they all get on the same page, this offense will be fun to watch. Mitch has to hit the throw to Gabriel. It's tough to get a guy that open in the NFL.

I did notice a few times when Mitch moved out of the pocket, the receivers weren't exactly busting ass in the scramble drill.

The offense in general just struggled to get in rhythm. During the 1st drive, they ran some no huddle and it was working well. They did not get back to it.
The drive that ended in the Miller TD had a smooth, coordinated feel to it. You can see Mitch is still questioning what he sees at times. Improved awareness will come with reps in the system.

It was nice to see two relatively easy TDs in the red zone. The play design on the Burton score was excellent and it resulted in a walk in TD.
Miller was wide open on his too. Scoring TDs in the red zone has been a big issue for the Bears and it was encouraging to see them knock two in. Now they need to get there more often!

I know some have already proclaimed Shaheen a bust, but getting him back will be a help to Mitch. He's a huge target that can move and Nagy will certainly know how to use him. I think he'll help Mitch get some easy completions in the middle of the field and be a chain mover.

The o-line needs to improve. I thought it was just a mediocre effort. Getting Howard on-track will only help Mitch get better looks and the creases available to Howard were minimal.

The defense is swarming. They sacked Wilson 6 times but he was constantly under pressure. I believe the pick 6 was the result of all the pressure Wilson felt all night.

The overall defensive team speed is apparent too. Smith and Trevathan cover a ton of ground and both guys love to hit. Callahan when healthy, is an excellent slot corner that is not afraid to tackle.

Mack is a dominating force. The Seahawks did everything possible to account for him and it still didn't matter. The power he exhibits on the bull rush just blows me away.

Floyd will get better when he gets that club off his hand. If Lynch can play like he did last night, it will allow both Floyd and Mack to get a chance to rest without feeling like they're completely trading the ability to pressure to keep those guys fresh.

I'm heading to Arizona for Sunday's game. The Cardinals are about to find out how well Bear fans travel. It's going to be like a home game.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
For da 2nd week in a row the "D" deserves a big hand :clap:

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
Thanks Windy... I also enjoy the analysis without all the snarky BS or full on meatball bile that passes for evaluation around here.

I was at the game and from my seats, I can see the whole field.

Some quick thoughts...

Nagy can certainly scheme guys open. When they all get on the same page, this offense will be fun to watch. Mitch has to hit the throw to Gabriel. It's tough to get a guy that open in the NFL.

I did notice a few times when Mitch moved out of the pocket, the receivers weren't exactly busting ass in the scramble drill.

The offense in general just struggled to get in rhythm. During the 1st drive, they ran some no huddle and it was working well. They did not get back to it.
The drive that ended in the Miller TD had a smooth, coordinated feel to it. You can see Mitch is still questioning what he sees at times. Improved awareness will come with reps in the system.

It was nice to see two relatively easy TDs in the red zone. The play design on the Burton score was excellent and it resulted in a walk in TD.
Miller was wide open on his too. Scoring TDs in the red zone has been a big issue for the Bears and it was encouraging to see them knock two in. Now they need to get there more often!

I know some have already proclaimed Shaheen a bust, but getting him back will be a help to Mitch. He's a huge target that can move and Nagy will certainly know how to use him. I think he'll help Mitch get some easy completions in the middle of the field and be a chain mover.

The o-line needs to improve. I thought it was just a mediocre effort. Getting Howard on-track will only help Mitch get better looks and the creases available to Howard were minimal.

The defense is swarming. They sacked Wilson 6 times but he was constantly under pressure. I believe the pick 6 was the result of all the pressure Wilson felt all night.

The overall defensive team speed is apparent too. Smith and Trevathan cover a ton of ground and both guys love to hit. Callahan when healthy, is an excellent slot corner that is not afraid to tackle.

Mack is a dominating force. The Seahawks did everything possible to account for him and it still didn't matter. The power he exhibits on the bull rush just blows me away.

Floyd will get better when he gets that club off his hand. If Lynch can play like he did last night, it will allow both Floyd and Mack to get a chance to rest without feeling like they're completely trading the ability to pressure to keep those guys fresh.

I'm heading to Arizona for Sunday's game. The Cardinals are about to find out how well Bear fans travel. It's going to be like a home game.

I like your point about Shaheen. It sucks so much that he got hurt. I have no doubt Nagy has several plays specifically designed for him, but it doesn't work when you have Dion Sims out there.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Howard's improved catching is very noticeable and a big win. The running game was poor yesterday and I don't think the Oline played well.

Fuller is concerning me. He seems to continue to struggle playing when his back is to the play. He needs to learn to turn around. I think GB is better with their young CBs than having paid for Fuller.

I loved Fangio's aggressiveness (about f'ing time) but why stop when the 4th quarter came? Seattle marched right down the field and changed the game at the beginning of the 4th. I started to think - here we go again. Luckily, Prince saved their bacon as did the Trevathon caused fumble. Fangio needs to dial it up the whole time and show a killer instinct.

The O is still very Bears-like to me productivity wise. I know, I know, it's green and a work in progress, but it is what it is at this point. The team is going to need the D to score weekly at this rate. Nagy's play calling was better. The QB play needs to improve.

Floyd is a non-factor out there. I hope the club is the reason. It was nice to see some productivity out of Lynch. He's probably best as a rotational player though.