Thoughts and Observations: Week 9 Lions

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Bears deserved that turn over that they didn't get the challenge in on time as they completely dominated the entire game even if the score looked somewhat close.

Trubisky is proving me wrong and I'm loving it. This game against Minnesota will be a real test for him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Defense

-Khalil Mack is an animal. In his first game back he has 2 sacks, both in dominant fashion, and a number of tackles behind the line. The sack where he knocks Decker on his ass and then jumps off of his corpse like Wolverine before swallowing Matt Stafford whole was one of my favorite plays of the season. That is complete and utter dominance and disrespect to a 1st round LT.

-Leonard Floyd had his best day rushing the passer and it is no surprise that it came with Mack on the field. It is pretty obvious at this point that he is a complimentary pass rusher, which is fine. His spin move sack was a good move and we need to see more of it, do not be afraid to sell out on the spin pre snap. The 3rd down disruption where he hit Stafford was another example of being athletic and moving towards the QB on the stunt. When he doesn't hesitate and dance he is a different player.

-Aaron Lynch continues to make solid contributions. His roughing the passer call was a tough one as Decker kind of dumped him into the QB late. He is a better run defender than I was anticipating.

-Bilal Nichols continues to show more pass rush than I think his tape from last season showed. His quick swim sack against the Lions 1st round pick was a thing of beauty. Powerful hands, quick feet, and a rush plan.

-RRH continues to be really good depth and I loved the rotation we saw from Fangio and Rogers. RRH-25, Nichols-25, Bullard-20.

-Hicks' snap count has gone down to about 75%, I would like to see it come down to around 60% as you still see plays where he is clearly tired. If he does not make the Pro Bowl there is something ridiculously wrong with the process.

-Goldman had another good game against the run. He is a guy who has hidden value as he gets double teamed the entire game.

-Roquan continues to grow. He misses a tackle a game, which is frustrating, but the rest of the time I am really loving what I am seeing. His ability to close is something special.

-Trevathan continues to be a steady presence for the defense. I think he may be nicked up because I do not see the second gear right now. Maybe the hip injury earlier in the season where he got bent back on a tackle is lingering.

-I thought the secondary as a whole was just okay. They gave up way too many long 3rd and 4th downs despite a solid pass rush. Callahan continues to be a straight baller and Fuller and Prince were solid, but a little sloppy late. Fuller got spun around on the TD and Prince was beat for 2-3 big conversions.

-Hard to say anything about the safeties as the Bears got up big and the safeties went deeper and deeper. Eddie Jackson had his 1 maddening missed tackle against Riddick.

Wondering what you thought about Prince's goal line pick....it needlessly put the Bears on their heels for most of the 4th quarter. It was 4th down, the pass was terrible and he had all day to do what he wanted...if he just knocks it down there's a 50 yard swing in field position.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
He gave up a first down to a shifty RB for like 12 yards, so what? He also forced him OOB, nobody cleaned up after him. I’d hardly call that a big play. How many 10+hardest did the CBS give up?

nobody called it a big play, just frustrating to see another poor angle/missed tackle by jackson. Its not like this was an exotic play call that confused players. It should be a routine play on defense, he's had trouble with poor angles and tackling since coming into the nfl.

swz01

Liked Posts:
According to a source of Bernstein's at Halas Hall, Parkey is out of chances. Next time he is gone

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Agree I think if he has another game with 3 or more missed kicks inside 50 he's a goner.

swz01

Liked Posts:
Bob LeGere
With all the Trubs and AR12 and R.Pace and K.Mack talk today i can't believe A.Miller hasn't been talked about more today. He had his best game as a pro but as windy said he needs to slow down with the attitude shit on the field. He got into it a couple of times with Lions players. One time he pushed one and the Lions player was waiving his arms to the refs looking for a flag but i guess no ref saw it and then one time on the sidelines after a play he got into it when Trubs got pushed late out of bounds which i love sticking up for your QB but ya gotta be careful and then he got the flag for spinning the ball which was stupid. Huge fan of the kid but can't get bad penalties that could hurt the team getting a win.

Kevin Fishbain

@kfishbain
An official told Matt Nagy that Anthony Miller was flagged for spinning the ball because it went toward the opponent, but Nagy notes that in slow motion, the reason it did was because the ball ricocheted off Miller’s knee when he spun it.

How’s that for day-after film breakdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCUDpLB1VA

Watch from at 3:49. Lions WR spins ball in front of 3 Bears defenders after 1st down catch. No penalty called. Officials missed the obvious Detroit fumble a few plays earlier as well. Officials trying to let Detroit back in the game with score 26-0 early?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I'm worried about our Oline needs and our lack of draft picks to address those needs. It's looking like we might need to use one of our picks on a kicker too, which leaves us with less ability to address the Oline.

The inability of Jordan Howard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit is another concern, and you have to wonder what his future here is. It might be a smart idea at this point to trade him for a mid-late pick? I dunno. I'm torn on that.
What the actual fuck are you talking about.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think it was lazy, I think it was rookie....I have some adjectives for Miller...lazy isn't one of them

I think it was lazy. Grab the ball, turtle, take whatever hit is coming.

He was not under pressure and did not need to do that.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wondering what you thought about Prince's goal line pick....it needlessly put the Bears on their heels for most of the 4th quarter. It was 4th down, the pass was terrible and he had all day to do what he wanted...if he just knocks it down there's a 50 yard swing in field position.

It is hard to ask a DB not to pick the ball. All they think all day is interceptions, hard in the moment to not grab the ball.

He said he did not know where everyone was and was worried about batting it towards another player.

I have no issue with it. Can't train a dog not to bark and then expect him in rare occasions to bark.

jc456

Liked Posts:
It is hard to ask a DB not to pick the ball. All they think all day is interceptions, hard in the moment to not grab the ball.

He said he did not know where everyone was and was worried about batting it towards another player.

I have no issue with it. Can't train a dog not to bark and then expect him in rare occasions to bark.

unacceptable, one must know the down and the position on the field. It becomes nothing more than a punt. and he pinned us in our own end. unacceptable, I don't care the score.

casinnova

Liked Posts:
I saw him call some inside runs for Cohen yesterday, those are the calls that usually go to Howard. Cohen didn't have any better success running between the tackles than Howard did. .

Look at the play by play again... other than the predictable runs in garbage time, the bears were getting some positive runs in early downs. Cohen was getting 5 yards on 1st down... And that is one reason why the first 4 possessions led to TD's. Bears were rarely in 3rd and long.

bufordht

Liked Posts:

I had this exact play happen in 6th grade flag football. I batted the ball down. If a 12 year old can process that...

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I wonder if we could keep Howard, who I think IS a special running back, but change him slightly.

What if we change the way he trains and have him drop 10-15 pounds? Go from 6' 225 to 6' 210/215 with a bit more speed and quickness. Less of a bruiser, more focus on agility. He already spent a lot of time on the JUGS machine this past offseason to shape him into a better receiver. And right now he only has 12 receptions in 9 games. He would likely be a more attractive target to pass to if he was more agile in space. Just a thought.

Or maybe our Oline could learn how to open a fucking hole. :p

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I think it's amusing that people are piling on the "Howard isn't special" train. Dude balled out two years in a row when the run blocking was there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

noprophet

Quaker oats #1 fan
Liked Posts:
There is no visual proof of floyd Sack... some one post it for me to validate.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCUDpLB1VA

Watch from at 3:49. Lions WR spins ball in front of 3 Bears defenders after 1st down catch. No penalty called. Officials missed the obvious Detroit fumble a few plays earlier as well. Officials trying to let Detroit back in the game with score 26-0 early?

I don't know. Maybe the refs didn't see it or maybe it was because it wasn't on the field. It was definitely a weak call to call on A.Miller.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

He was probably thinking about that prediction he put on himself that he was gonna vreate 10 turnovers this year....lol

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
There is no visual proof of floyd Sack... some one post it for me to validate.

You should try watching the games. We're fun to watch this year and he did get a sack for sure but don't think he took him down. Can't remember for sure.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
His sack was a hug, he just bear hugged Stafford and then started celebrating for his first sack of the season.