Thoughts and Observations: Week 9 Lions

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think it's amusing that people are piling on the "Howard isn't special" train. Dude balled out two years in a row when the run blocking was there.
Agreed. In his NFL career he's demonstrated good vision, above average bruising power, and falls and spins forward consistently. It's not by accident that he was 3rd in Rushing 2016 (5.2/carry) and 10th in 2017. We've all seen great backs stuffed, and have sub 50 yd games when a defense overwhelms the runblocking.

It's not impossible that Howard is regressing, but it's only his 3rd year and he hasn't had a major injury, so it's more likely, as we can see on the field, poorer runblocking.

I don't disagree with those who would prefer another RB with much better burst (and some 220 backs have that, but that's more rare and more expensive in FA and draft). But I wouldn't mind getting that, it would fit our current 'fast' offensive scheme better. However this new RB can't produce in short-yardage and 4th qtr run-out-the-clock you need another RB.

At the moment, I think we can assume, and hope, that Nagy will start making and calling plays that play to Howard's strengths. To keep defenses guessing, Nagy needs to throw him the ball, and rush some outside the hash marks runs.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCUDpLB1VA

Watch from at 3:49. Lions WR spins ball in front of 3 Bears defenders after 1st down catch. No penalty called. Officials missed the obvious Detroit fumble a few plays earlier as well. Officials trying to let Detroit back in the game with score 26-0 early?

I definitely got the feeling they were trying to let them back in.

noprophet

Quaker oats #1 fan
Liked Posts:
You should try watching the games. We're fun to watch this year and he did get a sack for sure but don't think he took him down. Can't remember for sure.

Took my son to his end of LL football season party. Love the bears but life has it's priorities. Just couldn't find it on the man's web.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Everyone in here was bashing the defense for not creating turnovers last year, especially Prince. He forced 2 fumbles and got an INT that everyone is giving him shit for. Dude is straight balling this season. I’m glad he picked it off. That’s his ultimate job. Get the ball instead of the other guy.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Floyds first backpack sack Lol

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Watching Gould make a 53 yarder straight down the middle just makes me sick.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone in here was bashing the defense for not creating turnovers last year, especially Prince. He forced 2 fumbles and got an INT that everyone is giving him shit for. Dude is straight balling this season. I’m glad he picked it off. That’s his ultimate job. Get the ball instead of the other guy.

We want INTs and smart football

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Look at the play by play again... other than the predictable runs in garbage time, the bears were getting some positive runs in early downs. Cohen was getting 5 yards on 1st down... And that is one reason why the first 4 possessions led to TD's. Bears were rarely in 3rd and long.

First drive: 3 running plays
Howard for 9 *
Cohen for 2 *
Cohen for a 3 yard TD

Drive 2
Howard for 1 *
Cohen for 5
Cohen for 2 *

Drive 3
Cohen for 4 *

Drive 4
Howard for 1, negated by penalty

So.....seven carries in four drives, excluding the penalty.
* Five of them on first. One for better than 4 yards, by Howard on first play.

Which game’s play by play were you reading?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I somewhat agree. I think in the right offense, Howard can be great and the past 2 years never went down on first contact.

But he just doesn't fit this offense.

And the backs that are truly special stay that way no matter the offense.

Howard to me is trade bait for picks this offseason.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it's amusing that people are piling on the "Howard isn't special" train. Dude balled out two years in a row when the run blocking was there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

He is a guy that needs 20-25 touches a game and to get momentum going.

That just isn’t this offense or the new NFL really.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I had this exact play happen in 6th grade flag football. I batted the ball down. If a 12 year old can process that...

Or, you couldn’t catch.

There is a million things going through your mind in a play, most of your actions are instincts and muscle memory.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Agreed. In his NFL career he's demonstrated good vision, above average bruising power, and falls and spins forward consistently. It's not by accident that he was 3rd in Rushing 2016 (5.2/carry) and 10th in 2017. We've all seen great backs stuffed, and have sub 50 yd games when a defense overwhelms the runblocking.

It's not impossible that Howard is regressing, but it's only his 3rd year and he hasn't had a major injury, so it's more likely, as we can see on the field, poorer runblocking.

I don't disagree with those who would prefer another RB with much better burst (and some 220 backs have that, but that's more rare and more expensive in FA and draft). But I wouldn't mind getting that, it would fit our current 'fast' offensive scheme better. However this new RB can't produce in short-yardage and 4th qtr run-out-the-clock you need another RB.

At the moment, I think we can assume, and hope, that Nagy will start making and calling plays that play to Howard's strengths. To keep defenses guessing, Nagy needs to throw him the ball, and rush some outside the hash marks runs.

Howard is a plodder. yawn... for a hand full of shekels this dude be running circles through the NFC.. https://m.tiktok.com/v/661855727554...mestamp=1542091503&user_id=174284641799901184

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Or, you couldn’t catch.

There is a million things going through your mind in a play, most of your actions are instincts and muscle memory.

I don't know if I could have caught it because I didn't try. Because I knew it was 4th down and we got better field position by batting it down. Seriously if a pro can't process that, that's a major problem.

I think it probably had more to do with him wanting to pad stats in a game that wasn't close. I'm ok with that. He's played well, take a freebie. I certainly hope that in a close game he doesn't make that play. I mean to say that he's just not smart enough to bat it down is kinda sad.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Howard, to me, is scheme specific. He does great in a zone blocking scheme, where he can get his momentum going and make one cut. He's got great vision. In a system that requires more lateral quickness and stop-start burst, he's just not a good fit and he never will be because he's not that kind of athlete. Also even though he's improved a great deal as a pass catcher, he'll also never really be able to run the routes that the great pass catching RBs do: wheel, the option routes, whip, and especially the angle, which is where Cohen is most deadly. I think it would benefit him and the Bears to get him to a team where his skill set shines.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Or, you couldn’t catch.

what million things do you think he was thinking of on that play? Dinner?, sex with his lover? dude, you are a really intelligent individual. why do you feel the need to make excuses for others?

See, the number one thing he should have been thinking was, if I have a play on the ball, I need to knock it down. Period, end of story. It's stupid plays like this one that will end up costing the bears in a playoff.

jc456

Liked Posts:

you're glad? really? glad. hmmmm odd choice of words.