Thoughts on Kyle Trask in Rd 2?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm not too much of a fan of Trask. I mean, he was throwing to Kyle Pitts, Kadarious Toney and even Van Jefferson throughout his career. There's some NFL QBs who haven't had that good of targets while playing against NFL defenses.

Overall he definitely does some things well, but I feel he's a slow footed, big armed guy. I've seen a lot of them come and go in the NFL.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Whose consensus?

Exactly. Don’t give me Todd McShay and Mel Kiper. Tell me what GMs had Trubisky as the consensus #1. Nobody truly knows but them, but the fact that teams were willing to give up first rounders and multiple other picks to move way up for Mahomes and Watson—while Pace, a guy we know sucks at offensive talent recognition, picked Trubisky—should tell us something about that process..

Listen to the interview from earlier this year where Sean Payton talked about how he knew Mahomes was going to be good based on their one-on-one test they gave him and the things they saw in their personal time with Mahomes. McShay and Kiper can’t touch that.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Exactly. Don’t give me Todd McShay and Mel Kiper. Tell me what GMs had Trubisky as the consensus #1. Nobody truly knows but them, but the fact that teams were willing to give up first rounders and multiple other picks to move way up for Mahomes and Watson—while Pace, a guy we know sucks at offensive talent recognition, picked Trubisky—should tell us something about that process..

Listen to the interview from earlier this year where Sean Payton talked about how he knew Mahomes was going to be good based on their one-on-one test they gave him and the things they saw in their personal time with Mahomes. McShay and Kiper can’t touch that.
Beyond that, this entire message board can't even come to a consensus on to whom you should be listening. Every fucking analyst is only used in examples that make people look better. Hub Arkush is a notorious person for this.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Breaking news...Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson were selected 10th and 12th overall respectively by the real decision makers...consistent w/ Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock and many other top draft pundits 2017 QB rankings.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Beyond that, this entire message board can't even come to a consensus on to whom you should be listening. Every fucking analyst is only used in examples that make people look better. Hub Arkush is a notorious person for this.

I'm sorry, but that's just internet forum arguing 101 - everywhere on every subject, everyone thinks they are an expert, and thus hate the paid prognosticators unless they are in agreement.

Disingenuous? Sure.

But don't hate the player; hate the game....

Toast88

Liked Posts:

So had Bridgewater decided to sign here or the Seahawks accepted the Bears offer for Wilson, Pace wouldn’t be a racist?

Lol so stupid.

Why didn’t Pace guarantee Bridgewater the starting job, but he guaranteed Dalton? Because Mitch, who played like shit, was already here? Lame excuse if true.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Why didn’t Pace guarantee Bridgewater the starting job, but he guaranteed Dalton? Because Mitch, who played like shit, was already here? Lame excuse if true.
Well I wont say it isn't lame, but that definitely is the reason.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Breaking news...Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson were selected 10th and 12th overall respectively by the real decision makers...consistent w/ Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock and many other top draft pundits 2017 QB rankings.

Those GMs had those QBs as their top guys. It’s not like Andy Reid was going to trade up to 10 to get Trubisky. It was Mahomes all the way, because Reid actually knows what he’s doing.

We could go round and round, right? You could respond with something like, “Well, there were 9 GMs who didn’t take Mahomes.”

Ok, ok, fine. The point is that Pace sucks at evaluating QBs, and saying “But the mock drafts!!” is a lame-as-shit excuse. You’re the GM. You’re paid to get it right. Pace continuously does not. He sucks at it, no matter what the mock drafts say or don’t say.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Trask's arm strength makes Trubisky look like Jay Cutler. His lack of arm strength/talent is the reason he's going to suck in the NFL, and I want nothing to do with him in any round.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Keep burying your head in the sand. Pace has had 7 opportunities to either draft or sign an African-American QB, but each time he either neglected it, or chose a vastly inferior white QB. That's a pattern.

dont forget he had every opportunity to trade for wilson/watson and didnt

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If Ryan Pace sucks at evaluating the QB position then so does the rest of the NFL and all the draft gurus and such. Trubisky was the consensus best QB prospect available in the 2017 draft. If Pace is guilty of anything it's perhaps liking Mitch Trubisky the person too much that it clouded his judgment on Mitch Trubisky the player, moreso when it came to bringing in competition for him and such. No one thought Mahomes would be what he is and eleven other teams didn't think DeShaun Watson was worthy of drafting as their QB going forward.

It's much more of an indictment against this idea that talent evaluation is even remotely easy or consistent. You can scout and evaluate til you're blue in the face but it's proven out that the draft ultimately isn't a whole lot more than a crap shoot when it comes to the vast majority of players eligible to be drafted.
This is 100% true. Which makes you wonder why teams invest so much into a scouting department and invest so much in draft war rooms, etc. They are literally no better at picking quality players (at least in the first couple rounds) than most any of us.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Those GMs had those QBs as their top guys. It’s not like Andy Reid was going to trade up to 10 to get Trubisky. It was Mahomes all the way, because Reid actually knows what he’s doing.

We could go round and round, right? You could respond with something like, “Well, there were 9 GMs who didn’t take Mahomes.”

Ok, ok, fine. The point is that Pace sucks at evaluating QBs, and saying “But the mock drafts!!” is a lame-as-shit excuse. You’re the GM. You’re paid to get it right. Pace continuously does not. He sucks at it, no matter what the mock drafts say or don’t say.

I’ve already said in this thread Pace sucks at his job and should have been fired.

The point of my engaging in this thread was to argue against the Pace is racist claims because of the way he’s mishandled the QB position. It is completely moronic.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I'm not too much of a fan of Trask. I mean, he was throwing to Kyle Pitts, Kadarious Toney and even Van Jefferson throughout his career. There's some NFL QBs who haven't had that good of targets while playing against NFL defenses.

Overall he definitely does some things well, but I feel he's a slow footed, big armed guy. I've seen a lot of them come and go in the NFL.
PItts is a huge mofo and ran a 4.4 today.....he's possibly the next Kelce or maybe better....he's like a giant WR who can haul ass...remember big Mike Williams who flamed out because he couldn't separate? This guy is bigger and can outrun dbs

and Toney a sure 1st rounder....

both of those guys are better targets than our number 2....Trask doesn't have an arm but his ball placement is amazing....we'll all need to go check some Chad Pennington tape.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah, I switch it up every few months. I suppose I coulda superimposed "Hide the Pain Harold's" face on Miles Davis....lol

nah....Davis is better. Everybody is using that Hungarian Harold guy. You don't wanna be like everybody else:)
Oh well, it's gonna take some time to adjust too that cat. ?

images

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They're both cool cats.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is 100% true. Which makes you wonder why teams invest so much into a scouting department and invest so much in draft war rooms, etc. They are literally no better at picking quality players (at least in the first couple rounds) than most any of us.

I have always felt that scouts evaluate quarterbacks wrong.

They seem to be like fans - they always fall in love with the big arm and the tall guys. And the newest fad is the guys who can run around a lot.

My own personal theory though is this: the guys with the big arm tend to rely on it too much to throw their way out of trouble and never really spend the time learning how to properly read a defense or dissect a defense as a quarterback. Instead they just rely on checking the ball down field.

The guys who don't have that God given gift of an arm are the ones who actually have to learn how to work within an offense and to dissect the defense.

These guys actually would be far more successful quarterbacks in the NFL, except that some of them just don't have enough arm to pull it off and the ones that do have enough aren't given the opportunity because even though they have enough, it's still not comparable to the guy who can throw 80 yards.

I think the issue is that more important is placed on the physical traits instead of the mental ones, and the NFL scouts quarterbacks all backwards.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No. He doesn’t have the arm to make an out route. The speed of the NFL where corners and lbs jump the routes. A slow throw makes it easier to do that.

Last edited:

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
so probably like a lot of you I've watched highlight videos of a lot of these guys and decided last night to watch a full game, to see all the misses, near misses etc. I watched Trask vs. Georgia and I have to tell you, this kid is freaking really good....he makes decision and gets the ball out so fast it's like the defense is always a step behind. He did throw a pick6 and another that probably should have been but man when he's in a groove this dude really slings it. His approach reminds me of Phillip Rivers, Rivers didn't have a big arm but is all about timing and being smart as shit. This kid has one of the fastest processors i've ever seen and he gets the ball out quick and seems to nearly always pick the correct receiver...I'm not positive if this is because of superior talent or scheme or if he's actually going through his reads that fast but whatever it is it works....a lot......his short game is big time and watch his longer outside completions. i'm going to watch Alabama next to see how he does against the future pros.