Time for changes: Fire Quennville and Staff thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Fair enough.

Try to keep in mind that a lot of people who don't know a ton about the game (like me) come to forums like these to learn MORE about hockey. I've been a fan for about 44 years but have never followed hockey as closely as I do football and basketball. But I find that the more I watch, the more I am aware of, and understand, what the players away from the puck are trying to accomplish.

Sure you're gonna get some meatball/Special person posts from new and casual fans, but instead of being annoyed by them, look at it as an opportunity to educate them and make them better fans. In doing so, not only will you increase their enjoyment of the game, you will also develop more of the quality posters that you enjoy interacting with!

If you really want to get into a sport these days, there is this thing called the Internet. And there are thousands of websites dedicated to the sport you love, hockey or otherwise. The information is out there, people just gotta take some time and look for it.

I can't really speak for other sports because I haven't really checked into them as much, but I'd be willing to say that just about every NHL team has at least one fan blog that provides some spectacular hockey analysis--at times, even better than that of the press. Beat writers have to appeal to a more casual audience, so they can't get into the X's and O's that much without boring/turning away their readers. Certain blogs can appeal to that fan base and have done so quite well.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why does that annoy you so much? I wouldn't put that on a list of things that Blackhawks fans absolutely have to know, even if said list would be really, really stupid.

I don't think Dews meant that literally but more as a point of reference. There are a whole lot of new Blackhawk fans that just might be completely unaware that the current Florida GM not only was highly instrumental in putting this Hawk core together but before that was actually sitting next to Foley in the booth for many years.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Fair enough.

Try to keep in mind that a lot of people who don't know a ton about the game (like me) come to forums like these to learn MORE about hockey. I've been a fan for about 44 years but have never followed hockey as closely as I do football and basketball. But I find that the more I watch, the more I am aware of, and understand, what the players away from the puck are trying to accomplish.

Sure you're gonna get some meatball/Special person posts from new and casual fans, but instead of being annoyed by them, look at it as an opportunity to educate them and make them better fans. In doing so, not only will you increase their enjoyment of the game, you will also develop more of the quality posters that you enjoy interacting with!

The 2 most confusing penalties to casual fans are icing and off-sides, which I finally looked up on my own some years ago. Hockey moves much faster than even the NFL, watching it doesn't teach us a whole lot.

http://icehockey.isport.com/icehockey-guides/understanding-offsides-in-ice-hockey
http://icehockey.isport.com/icehockey-guides/understanding-icing-in-hockey

Hope they help.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You all look sooooo dumb now

Sent from my Gopher hole using Tapatalk

Go back to your Gopher hole :pity:

Conversely, anyone who thinks this team is sunshine, lollipops, rainbows is wrong as well.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
crow-plates-large.jpg

Glad I was wrong.

Now they have to take care of the Kings :sweep:

So were you, now eat this thread.:lol:

Does eating 3 crows count :lol:

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you really want to get into a sport these days, there is this thing called the Internet. And there are thousands of websites dedicated to the sport you love, hockey or otherwise. The information is out there, people just gotta take some time and look for it.

I can't really speak for other sports because I haven't really checked into them as much, but I'd be willing to say that just about every NHL team has at least one fan blog that provides some spectacular hockey analysis--at times, even better than that of the press. Beat writers have to appeal to a more casual audience, so they can't get into the X's and O's that much without boring/turning away their readers. Certain blogs can appeal to that fan base and have done so quite well.

There are a lot of great Hawks blogs out there honestly.

hockeenight, second city hockey, the committed indian, madhouse enforcer, etc.

And blogs like puck daddy are pretty good too. Or even prohockeytalk from nbc sports.

Plenty of ways to learn the game of hockey on the internet even if you're a new fan. Because I admit that I'm a pretty new fan. I had no way of watching as a kid cause I was a kid in the 90s when the Hawks weren't on tv. As technology got better I became a better fan. I've only watched the Hawks post-lockout, but I have tried my best to learn this sport because I enjoy watching it.

That said, I don't mind casual fans because I understand that it takes a lot of time to learn this sport or any sport. And sometimes you just want to watch the game and not be analytical.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Dews meant that literally but more as a point of reference. There are a whole lot of new Blackhawk fans that just might be completely unaware that the current Florida GM not only was highly instrumental in putting this Hawk core together but before that was actually sitting next to Foley in the booth for many years.

exactly!

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
The 2 most confusing penalties to casual fans are icing and off-sides, which I finally looked up on my own some years ago. Hockey moves much faster than even the NFL, watching it doesn't teach us a whole lot.

http://icehockey.isport.com/icehockey-guides/understanding-offsides-in-ice-hockey
http://icehockey.isport.com/icehockey-guides/understanding-icing-in-hockey

Hope they help.

So confusing - mainly because they are not penalties ... just end up as having a face off -with icing causing one in your own defensive zone and offsides in the neutral zone. Or in the words of Denis Lemieux (goalie for the Charlestown Chiefs, 'The play stops then starts up again." -There is no 2 minutes in the box, and feeling ashamed...).

A penalty is something that ends up with someone in the box, or in the locker room. Although I will give you this, it might make for an interesting game if you started sticking guys in the penalty box for faceoff inducing events.... :D

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
The other thing is - while some guys jumped on Iago - I mean seriously -the post he was quoting said "Ever wonder why.... not unusual for an 8th seed to win the (Stanley) Cup."

I am pretty sure he was responding to the entire quote (just didn't type it all) -so yeah ... come on.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
And thirdly ... nice card Dewey .... I think I got that one -an Alain Chevrier rookie (if I recall correctly -and mainly because back prior to the 90's -it was very unusual for hockey cards to cover all the players in any given year- and a guy like Chevrier had been around for awhile before hooking up with the Hawks shortly before a playoff season -and did ok. I don't recall the year ( and if I was interested enough -would look it up). I think the next season or so he was down in Indy with the Racers when they were the Hawks top minor affiliate (when the IHL rivaled the AHL).

Ok ... well ... that being said I will probably end up disappearing for a few weeks now (nothing personal -just busy any more.). :D

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I recall first watching or playing soccer video games with by friends and years of Hockey playing made me baffled at how offsides worked in Soccer... Going by the last line of defense or whatever it is seemed crazily manipulatable to me but I guess I was wrong.

I can get how thoses rules get confusing to those unfamiliar, especially icing which can get complicated when it depends on where the play originated and not ended.

Interesting you add the "facing inducing events" idea, sc... That's what people think that clear the puck out of the D zone penalty is doing. I think it's a cheaper move than icing so I don't mind the penalty attached.

And the Hawks were on in the 90s, just not the regular home games but there was plenty of hockey to be learned from back then as I did as a kid. Not that it should of been everyones cup of tea, they weren't a team finishing in big ways to draw attention like Bullies

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A lot of defensive strategy in soccer is based on the offsides rule, with defenders coordinating a run up the field in order to draw an offsides call. Its kind of stupid and seemingly goes against the "spirit of the game", but thats kind of what soccer is...who can best manipulate the rules/refs.

Mmmm, so soccer is alot like Lebron James.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, some good content in here the past few days.. Bravo!

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
A lot of defensive strategy in soccer is based on the offsides rule, with defenders coordinating a run up the field in order to draw an offsides call. Its kind of stupid and seemingly goes against the "spirit of the game", but thats kind of what soccer is...who can best manipulate the rules/refs.

I'm becoming more and more of a soccer fan but I definitely prefer hockey's version of offsides where the line doesn't move.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

I mean, I get that. But it's not like you have to pass a Blackhawks history test in order to be a fan of the team. I've been following this time rather closely for about 15 years now and it was only recently that I learned that Darren Pang was a former Hawk.

I hope everyone jumps on the Hawks bandwagon, really. Chicago's a great sports town and it's only better when everyone is cheering for a title-contending squad from the Windy City. It's starting to happen again, which is great.

I just wish people would be more honest about their lack of hockey knowledge and those in the know would calm the fuck down about it.

And the more you learn about this game the more you realize that there's still a ton left to learn. Same applies with every other sport (and any topic for that matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.