Time for changes: Fire Quennville and Staff thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not that fans became fans in 2009. When they became fans is not really that important.

The problem is that a lot of the people who post here are pretty casual fans. And hockey isn't exactly the easiest sport to understand.

That's why I read and don't post much here :yep:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only Hawks message board I post at, is the 300 Level.

The official one is trash.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread is a glaring example of why I do my Hawks message board posting elsewhere. The CCS Hawks board reeks of too many posters who have only been Hawks/hockey fans since 2009.

im with ya

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, i've been a fan of em since I was 3 yrs old.

And what Hawks message board do you post on?

Not trying to be an ass, just curious.

That is cool and I really wasn't talking about you.

I post on the official forum (on occasion, more of a luker there because there are a lot of homers) and hockeysfutures. Both have some solid, knowledgeable posts. I love HF and footballsfutures because every team has a say... And there is tons of activity.

And I have a different name besides Gunzaan at both those places :)

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't want new Blackhawks fans? Or do you want new fans to just keep their mouths shut for 7 years? In what year did they close the "fan club?"

I became a fan in 1969 when I was 6 years old. I remember watching Bobby Hull, Stan Makita and Tony Esposito with my dad when they were on Channel 44. It seemed like they were always playing the Red Wings, Rangers or Bruins, but then again, there were only 12 teams at the time!

I lost interest in the Blackhawks for a long time when the quit televising the games or you had to have "SportsVision" box to watch them. I followed them some on the radio in the early 90's When they had Larmer, Roenick, Chelios and Belfour, but stopped following them again when I moved to Topeka in 1988.

I did jump back on the bandwagon in 2010 during their great playoff run in 2010. With the increased availability of broadband and wi-fi hotsposts I've been able to watch most of their games online, now.

I welcome new hockey fans whether they cheer for the Blackhawks or any other team. It would be nice for there to be enough fan interest that they could get more national TV exposure like the NFL and NBA do.

I always welcome new fans. It means the team is doing good. I guess I should have been more specific. I don't like talking hockey with people that don't understand the sport. Sure, watch the Hawks and love the winning, but it takes effort to learn hockey. I was blessed with the chance to play for 15 years and ref for 3 years after my playing days were done, so I know that not everyone is afforded that opportunity. I also realize that the official board has a lot of over-the-top homers and retards. With that said, there are plenty of good posters out there who know their shit. Hockeysfutures is a great example. Sure, 25% of the posters are homers/fools, but there are some GREAT discussions over there. Hell, actual Canadians post in all threads and most of them just have a crazy passion for the sport with a vastly superior knowledge of the sport when compared to Americans. There are also a ton of Europeons who post there and they know their shit as well.

/shrug. I'm probably coming off as a whiny bitch, but so be it. I do like CCS, in some aspects (and I wish I would post more baseball, but god damn the Sox are hard to watch), but as I said, threads like this just come off as bad.... Very, very misinformed.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Then again, I think calling the Blackhawks the Canucks of the midwest is misinformed as well, but what do I know :shrug:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is cool and I really wasn't talking about you.

I post on the official forum (on occasion, more of a luker there because there are a lot of homers) and hockeysfutures. Both have some solid, knowledgeable posts. I love HF and footballsfutures because every team has a say... And there is tons of activity.

And I have a different name besides Gunzaan at both those places :)

Gotcha. I knew who you were really talking about.

It's all good.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
I always welcome new fans. It means the team is doing good. I guess I should have been more specific. I don't like talking hockey with people that don't understand the sport. Sure, watch the Hawks and love the winning, but it takes effort to learn hockey. I was blessed with the chance to play for 15 years and ref for 3 years after my playing days were done, so I know that not everyone is afforded that opportunity. I also realize that the official board has a lot of over-the-top homers and retards. With that said, there are plenty of good posters out there who know their shit. Hockeysfutures is a great example. Sure, 25% of the posters are homers/fools, but there are some GREAT discussions over there. Hell, actual Canadians post in all threads and most of them just have a crazy passion for the sport with a vastly superior knowledge of the sport when compared to Americans. There are also a ton of Europeons who post there and they know their shit as well.

/shrug. I'm probably coming off as a whiny bitch, but so be it. I do like CCS, in some aspects (and I wish I would post more baseball, but god damn the Sox are hard to watch), but as I said, threads like this just come off as bad.... Very, very misinformed.

Well, as an admitted homer/meatball, I would very much like to understand hockey more and this team. If there is anything you can point me to that would increase that understanding (sans wikipedia) or even any future post of yours about this game/team, I would be much obliged. Until then, it is my destiny to post the Blackhawks theme song for every score.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then again, I think calling the Blackhawks the Canucks of the midwest is misinformed as well, but what do I know :shrug:

Ehhh, posted after a very frustrating loss in a gdt. Way different then a whole topic calling for people's jobs. Regardless, the major weakness of the Hawks is their regular season success vs how playoff hockey is played. I still, deep down, believe they look like Vancouver and San Jose, as opposed to the Bruins and Kings. I hope that I'm wrong.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, as an admitted homer/meatball, I would very much like to understand hockey more and this team. If there is anything you can point me to that would increase that understanding (sans wikipedia) or even any future post of yours about this game/team, I would be much obliged. Until then, it is my destiny to post the Blackhawks theme song for every score.

Well, looking at your avatar and reading your Bears posts, I doubt I will do much good. You are a meatball.

My advice? Watch tons of hockey besides the Blackhawks, since you haven't played the sport. Watch Canadian Juniors. Watch the Olympics. Absorb as much hockey as you can, with plenty of different styles.

If you want to be informed and knowledgeable, immerse yourself in the sport. That is the same advice anyone would give you about any topic, whether its sports, politics, philosophy, science, math, etc. Of course, it is much easier to drink a few beers, only watch 1% of the sport (your meatball team), and make an uneducated opinion. It is up to you ;)

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not that fans became fans in 2009. When they became fans is not really that important.

The problem is that a lot of the people who post here are pretty casual fans. And hockey isn't exactly the easiest sport to understand.

This is a popular misconception that I just dont agree with. What's hard to understand? Offsides? With the redline gone, that's become really basic stuff. The penalties? Most of those are self discriptive. The team that puts the biscuit in the basket more, wins. You could watch two hockey games and if you pay attention and listen to what guys like Olczyk are saying, you'd have enough knowledge to enjoy the sport. Example....take someone who has never ever seen a hockey game, a baseball game or a football game and see which one is more complicated for them to learn. Ive been a fan of all three for over 50 years and I still see shit from time to time in baseball that Ive never seen before....football as well but to a lesser extent. There's isnt much in hockey that I havent seen or experienced.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This is a popular misconception that I just dont agree with. What's hard to understand? Offsides? With the redline gone, that's become really basic stuff. The penalties? Most of those are self discriptive. The team that puts the biscuit in the basket more, wins. You could watch two hockey games and if you pay attention and listen to what guys like Olczyk are saying, you'd have enough knowledge to enjoy the sport. Example....take someone who has never ever seen a hockey game, a baseball game or a football game and see which one is more complicated for them to learn. Ive been a fan of all three for over 50 years and I still see shit from time to time in baseball that Ive never seen before....football as well but to a lesser extent. There's isnt much in hockey that I havent seen or experienced.

Yeah, but if you've been a fan for less than 4 years or else don't have season tickets, you're an idiot.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

As far as strategy, different types of PP systems, styles of play. I don't even understand all of that.

Being able to see that a guy like Michael Frolik is just as important to the team as a guy like Kane is even though Kane scores more goals. Frolik is a killer penalty killer. I don't think someone who has barely watched hockey would pick up on a lot of the great defensive play from both forwards and defensemen. They notice the big plays and cool goals.

One example: Fans that don't know a lot about hockey yelling SHOOT every two seconds on a PP or just during the game. If a defenseman shoots from the blue line on a PP without a clear lane, it's blocked and perhaps there's a shorthanded goal.

Baseball is complicated, yes, but it's not face paced so you understand what is going on before play moves on. That's what I think is most difficult about hockey. It's so fast. Faster than any other sport, in my opinion. (basketball comes close)

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I always welcome new fans. ... I don't like talking hockey with people that don't understand the sport. Sure, watch the Hawks and love the winning, but it takes effort to learn hockey. ... etc.

Fair enough.

Try to keep in mind that a lot of people who don't know a ton about the game (like me) come to forums like these to learn MORE about hockey. I've been a fan for about 44 years but have never followed hockey as closely as I do football and basketball. But I find that the more I watch, the more I am aware of, and understand, what the players away from the puck are trying to accomplish.

Sure you're gonna get some meatball/Special person posts from new and casual fans, but instead of being annoyed by them, look at it as an opportunity to educate them and make them better fans. In doing so, not only will you increase their enjoyment of the game, you will also develop more of the quality posters that you enjoy interacting with!

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
there are probably fans here who would be shocked to find out that at one point pat foleys broadcasting partner was dale tallon....thats what annoys me.

Why does that annoy you so much? I wouldn't put that on a list of things that Blackhawks fans absolutely have to know, even if said list would be really, really stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.