Tory Taylor 46.3 avg, Trenton Gill 46.1 avg - What will Bears do with the extra 0.2 yards of field position?

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well for one you are comparing a career gross average of a college punter to the yearly gross average of an NFL Punter who regressed significantly in his 2nd year while the special teams actually improved for the Bears in 23. It’s the net yards, hang time and inside 20/10/5yd line that matters. I didn’t like the pick but this is a woefully disingenuous way to present stats. I’m more worried about the 3 blocked punts that Taylor had. Were they because of blocking or was it because he has a slow punting motion? If it’s the latter, he won’t make it in the NFL

I read that his blocks came on plays where the returning team had all 11 stay on the line to block. They didn't have a returner. They tried to gameplan for Taylor and thats a good thing

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I read that his blocks came on plays where the returning team had all 11 stay on the line to block. They didn't have a returner. They tried to gameplan for Taylor and thats a good thing
Didn’t know that. Just to put this out there, I did not agree with the pick. I just think it’s best to present a balanced argument.

Canth

Liked Posts:
bamainatlanta already addressed it for the most part, but it's more about the net than the punting distance.

Gill averaged 46 yds per punt but had net of 40.3 yards/punt in 2022 and it went down to a net of 38 yards/punt in 2023. That was dead last in the NFL. He was actually ranked 38th in net average. And watching the games backs it up in that he had low hang time, so he outkicked his coverage leading to the low net.

It doesn't look like college tracks net average, so we cannot say with stats where Tory Taylor is there. He does have film of in practice having a hangtime of 5.8 seconds though...which is a ridiculously long hang time.

I would also add that Tory Taylor averaged 48.2 yards/punt last year in Iowa. That would have ranked 13th in the NFL.

Again though, I'm more interested in the net. For example, Jordan Stout averaged 47.8 y/p (13th) but had a net of 39.1 y/p (32nd). Meanwhile, Cameron Johnston averaged 47.7 y/p (14th) with a net of 43.6 y/p (6th).

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Hopefully they will spit on it and shove it directly up your fat stupid ass.

Stupid question, stupid answer.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They didn’t answer the question. Neither have you.

Why are you annoyed by stats? I literally didn’t say anything bad about Tory Taylor.

I responded. You ignored.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
2023 Net Yards per Punt:
Gill - 38.0
Taylor - 44.2

If Taylor punts as much as Gill did last season that's a swing of 24 yards per game in field position, which is worth an extra 1.6 points/game (27 points on the season) going by league average of offensive yards per offensive point over the last 3 NFL seasons.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Net matters more than gross. Gill's career net is 39.4. Taylor's is 42.7. 31% of Gill's punts were inside the 20 while 46% of Taylor's were. 45.9% of Gill's punts are returned while only 25% of Taylor's are. Avg return yards are 10.9 vs 5.7 in Taylor's favor.

As for why this matters, see the below.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
bamainatlanta already addressed it for the most part, but it's more about the net than the punting distance.

Gill averaged 46 yds per punt but had net of 40.3 yards/punt in 2022 and it went down to a net of 38 yards/punt in 2023. That was dead last in the NFL. He was actually ranked 38th in net average. And watching the games backs it up in that he had low hang time, so he outkicked his coverage leading to the low net.

It doesn't look like college tracks net average, so we cannot say with stats where Tory Taylor is there. He does have film of in practice having a hangtime of 5.8 seconds though...which is a ridiculously long hang time.

I would also add that Tory Taylor averaged 48.2 yards/punt last year in Iowa. That would have ranked 13th in the NFL.

Again though, I'm more interested in the net. For example, Jordan Stout averaged 47.8 y/p (13th) but had a net of 39.1 y/p (32nd). Meanwhile, Cameron Johnston averaged 47.7 y/p (14th) with a net of 43.6 y/p (6th).

Isn’t net more of a coverage stat, though?