Tory Taylor 46.3 avg, Trenton Gill 46.1 avg - What will Bears do with the extra 0.2 yards of field position?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I read that his blocks came on plays where the returning team had all 11 stay on the line to block. They didn't have a returner. They tried to gameplan for Taylor and thats a good thing
So all he has to do is learn a quick pooch punt for that situation.

I feel much better.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Think this is a fair write up about him.

In 2023, Taylor punted 93 times for a career-best 48.2 yards per punt. Of those 93 punts, seven resulted in touchbacks with 32 punts downed within the 20. 40 of his punts went further than 50 yards.

Four punters averaged more than 48 yards per punt. Taylor was the only one with more than 68 punts. Across his career, 43.4% of his punts were downed inside the 20.

Also like that almost 34% of his punts across his career were greater than 50 yards. He's a field flipper and was annoying as hell to have as an opponent because of that.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well yeah. It stood out. I made a statement and you disagreed. So when nfl teams agreed I was right, I informed you. Sorry that makes you mad

One NFL team agreed. All I said was it was debatable and you remembered enough to tag me about it a week later. Congrats you “won” an argument 😂

Canth

Liked Posts:
Do you have Taylor’s hangtime number? I can’t find it.

I can't find the hang time for any punter right now. I vaguely recall reading once that NFL average is around 4.4 seconds. Anything at or above 5 seconds is generally a really good hang time.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I can't find the hang time for any punter right now. I vaguely recall reading once that NFL average is around 4.4 seconds. Anything at or above 5 seconds is generally a really good hang time.
So how do we know that Taylor’s hang time is better than Gill’s? Not saying it’s not, but I can’t find the number.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Gill's hangtime is 4.28. Taylor's is 3.97. Taylor's net is better because more of his kicks are not returned not necessarily because of hangtime but placement.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sorry you get so upset about being wrong. Some people just aren't good at being wrong/losing even with a lifetime of experience
LOL. This is personal for you.

Did you tell your mom you won an argument on CCS?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Gill's hangtime is 4.28. Taylor's is 3.97. Taylor's net is better because more of his kicks are not returned not necessarily because of hangtime but placement.
Thanks for the info

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
There is one concern about Taylor that I came up with while listening to Greg Gabriel, and hopefully someone with punting experience can answer this concern.

Greg talked about how, in college, punters kick much farther than they do in the pros. He said that the reason for this is that in college punters use old, scuffed footballs to punt while in the NFL, they have to use brand new footballs every game, even though the balls are kept separate from all of the other footballs used in the game. Kicking a new football is harder because the new football is actually harder because the leather has not been softened through use.

My concern is not so much about the distance decrease because of the new, harder footballs that punters are going to have to use but rather if there is going to be any loss of control using new footballs every game? Will it affect how well Taylor can place the ball inside the 20 yard line?

I understand that this concern might not be anything because I do not have a ton of experience of punting a football and the little I have was always with an old football.

Can any CCS member answer this?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Isn’t net more of a coverage stat, though?
There are other factors that play into it. The Bears coverage team was better this year but Gill kept putting them in bad positions because he wasn’t getting hang time and was kicking more line drives. Just like RB’s need a line, punters need coverage units. It does help when you can coffin corner the returner or get ridiculous hang time averages. I always thought JK Scott was going to be the next great punter when GB took him in the 5th(Alabama 2015?) but he sucked for them. He was considered to be “generational” too.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry how you feel about this. I promise I don't have emotion tied to a message board like some do. I didn't realize how much it affects you, friend

You tagged me about it. I laughed cuz it was funny. Then you brought it up again today. Which is sad.

BUT….. if it makes you happy then I’m happy for you! Congrats!