Tory Taylor 46.3 avg, Trenton Gill 46.1 avg - What will Bears do with the extra 0.2 yards of field position?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Net matters more than gross. Gill's career net is 39.4. Taylor's is 42.7. 31% of Gill's punts were inside the 20 while 46% of Taylor's were. 45.9% of Gill's punts are returned while only 25% of Taylor's are. Avg return yards are 10.9 vs 5.7 in Taylor's favor.

As for why this matters, see the below.

Net is more of a coverage team number, though.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Isn’t net more of a coverage stat, though?

It can be both. That's where the film comes into play and why I added watching the games backed it up on Gill. Does the punter have good hang time and the coverage is just bad? Or does he have a trajectory with a low hang time so the coverage doesn't have time to get in place. Generally speaking, Gill would out kick his coverage leading to more returns, better returns, and hence a lower net.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not really. I just made an accurate statement about taylor>Gill, like I did with latu>other edges in draft

LOL. You’re still stewing over me saying it was debatable who was the best edge was? (Or whatever that was about)

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It can be both. That's where the film comes into play and why I added watching the games backed it up on Gill. Does the punter have good hang time and the coverage is just bad? Or does he have a trajectory with a low hang time so the coverage doesn't have time to get in place. Generally speaking, Gill would out kick his coverage leading to more returns, better returns, and hence a lower net.
So Gill has higher hang time, but out-kicks his coverage?

Canth

Liked Posts:

When you look at that stat though on % returned that remy posted, it tells the bigger story though. Gill was outkicking his coverage leading to more returns which leads to a lower net. If he good hang time, then the coverage is in place leading to more fair catches, less returns, higher net.

Higher hang time also lets the coverage get in place to be able to down the ball inside the 20, 10, or 5 and you get less touchbacks. Less touchbacks also means higher net.

Canth

Liked Posts:
So Gill has higher hang time, but out-kicks his coverage?

No, Gill has a lower hang time. He basically literally kicks the ball lower. So, while he gets a decent distance with the 46 yards, it gets to the returner quicker. So, the returner has a cushion to catch and start a return before the coverage can get there. Hence, he is outkicking the coverage.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You read but dont comprehend. If one guy has 45.9% of his punts returned then his net is likely to be lower than if a guy with only 25% of his punts returned all other things being equal.

Why? Because Gil has almost twice as many kicks where yards are being accumulated. Put another way 75% of the time Taylor's gross and net are equal because the return yards are 0.

It is clearly better for a team if a returner cant even return the ball.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No, Gill has a lower hang time. He basically literally kicks the ball lower. So, while he gets a decent distance with the 46 yards, it gets to the returner quicker. So, the returner has a cushion to catch and start a return before the coverage can get there. Hence, he is outkicking the coverage.
Do you have Taylor’s hangtime number? I can’t find it.