Trade deadline/rumors

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bad attitude, shitty work ethic, thinks he is a star. I understand taking a chance on him, but not in a pennant race. This team likes each other. You dont make a ripple with a guy like Puig who is a complete diva.

I mean to an extent you could argue that with Chapman. Obviously different circumstances and Chapman is obviously performing. But if your scouts believe in the talent they believe in the talent. I don't even disagree with your opinion but if the Dodgers are selling him dirt cheap(and James Shields strikes me as dirt cheap) then you have to at least consider it especially if the cubs were already actually in on Reddick(I never thought they really were).

I think there's maybe a 1% chance the cubs would go after Puig but like I said, I think you can make arguments for it. With Fowler likely gone next year he would give you another potential CF option if you A) got him cheap and B) thought you could get pass his baggage.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m2 minutes ago
Source: #Cubs discussing a trade for #Angels’ Joe Smith. Considering number of other possibilities as well.

Heard they were scouting the angels. I have little idea why though. He doesn't seem remotely interesting to me.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Bad attitude, shitty work ethic, thinks he is a star. I understand taking a chance on him, but not in a pennant race. This team likes each other. You dont make a ripple with a guy like Puig who is a complete diva.
Isn't that what was kinda said about Chapman

Bad clubhouse guy
Team likes each other
Etc etc

I think for the most part , everyone gets a fresh start in a new clubhouse

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He better then the revolving door in LF and he can take over CF next year

If they can get someone else great...

They need another bat in that lineup to offset guys who can't get it going consistently, especially come playoffs..

You can disagree they need another bat, but I'm not 100% counting on Soler and Cogs to do the job consistantly in LF

Puig has had a .758 OPS and a sub .700 OPS the past two years. He is no where near the player he started his career at. He has basically been Soler this year at the plate.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't that what was kinda said about Chapman

Bad clubhouse guy
Team likes each other
Etc etc

I think for the most part , everyone gets a fresh start in a new clubhouse

Chapman had baggage with the domestic stuff. Puig has been a terrible team mate. Huge difference.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs and Angels are discussing Joe Smith.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cubs and Angels are discussing Joe Smith.

Already mentioned above :D.... Looked into him a bit more. He was pretty dominant against righties in 2014 but I still don't get this. Dude is basically Hendricks stuff wise as a reliever.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago
Not yet sure how reworked #Marlins-#Padres deal will look. Told that MIA is “trading” Rea back to SD, keeping Cashner.

Jeff Passan ✔ @JeffPassan
Marlins were absolutely livid. Felt like they'd been dealt damaged goods. Apparently there will be recourse for it. https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/760167399597436928

That trade is a cluster fuck suddenly....

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bruce trade is on hold. Some injury problem.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With Reddick to LA and Bruce to NY
If Cubs are considering a bat only known options is Beltran and now Puig..

Unless they got something cooking that no one knows about

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Already mentioned above :D.... Looked into him a bit more. He was pretty dominant against righties in 2014 but I still don't get this. Dude is basically Hendricks stuff wise as a reliever.
Like I said before...
Their not looking to replace anyone in rotation now
All they want is a just in case (injury), 6th starter guy
They can keep in Iowa til needed and or Sept call up..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Like I said before...
Their not looking to replace anyone in rotation now
All they want is a just in case (injury), 6th starter guy
They can keep in Iowa til needed and or Sept call up..

Joe Smith isn't a 6th starter though. He's a career reliever. Going back all the way to 2006 he's never made a start. When I said he was Hendricks what I meant is he's a reliever who throws an 88 MPH sinker and 1 other decent pitch(slider not a change but w/e)

Edit: I take that back. He made one start this year and went 2 innings in A+ on what appears to be a rehab stint.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'll admit I'm going to be a bit disappointed if all they do is add Chapman and Montgomery for this run..

I'm not that confidence in Soler and Cogs holding down LF

I'd rather see Baez in lineup everyday with either Bryant or Zobrist in LF over them..

Oh well... Looking more like Soler going to get a second chance to take over LF this year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Joe Smith isn't a 6th starter though. He's a career reliever. Going back all the way to 2006 he's never made a start. When I said he was Hendricks what I meant is he's a reliever who throws an 88 MPH sinker and 1 other decent pitch(slider not a change but w/e)

Edit: I take that back. He made one start this year and went 2 innings in A+ on what appears to be a rehab stint.

If they get him, I would assume they are going to bring up Cahill as a 6th starter.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Gotcha...

Yea, wouldn't make sense then

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Under 2 hours to go...

Beltran and Lucroy
Archer or Sale
?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If they get him, I would assume they are going to bring up Cahill as a 6th starter.

Only thing I can think of is as insurance against Nathan or some shit but like... I really don't get where they are going with this. I guess you could argue he's a guy you can rely on to get a ground ball out with runners on(for double play or some shit) but that seems oddly specific a need.

Edit: that is to say with Smith. I get your plan of Cahill as the #6 starter.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Under 2 hours to go...

Beltran and Lucroy
Archer or Sale
��

Was listening to Brett Taylor(bleacher nation) on Kaplan's radio show and after he was off they mentioned Hann being tired of being stuff in mediocrity and then the only move they've made is dealing Duke. Surely they have to pull some kind of big move here....

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Was listening to Brett Taylor(bleacher nation) on Kaplan's radio show and after he was off they mentioned Hann being tired of being stuff in mediocrity and then the only move they've made is dealing Duke. Surely they have to pull some kind of big move here....
I just think its kinda odd that this close to the end
The Cubs with all their prospects and being this close to a title has been relatively quiet in any rumors...

So, I'm thinking Epstein working on a big splash that suprises everyone
Or
Their standing pat with maybe a minor move like joe smith

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Trade deadline day is always weird. Sometimes it blows up, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes the most obvious or talked about deals don't take place. I don't think the Cub need to make a move and if Heyward was doing anything with the stick no one else would either. As far as starting pitching goes these guys have been poking around for controllable starting pitching since last year's deadline, you never know when you're going to hit. I had a hunch this morning that they could land Archer but that hunch is gone, if it hasn't happened yet I don't think it's going to.