Trade deadline/rumors

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm no fan of Rogers but if Baez continues to hit RHP he plays every day, period likely at 2B some nights and 3B others with or Zobrist in LF. Given that it makes a lot of sense that they aren't making a deal for a lefty bat. On top of that I seriously doubt Coghlan will be on a playoff roster and Soler is a question mark as to regular playing time.

Other thing is LF is already crowded. Bryant, Cogs, Soler, Contreras, Szczur, Zobrist.... Travis Wood? all there and that's before we talk about having Schwarber next year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Rangers and Indians getting stronger

Hearing now with Beltran trade, Rangers could move Gallo for Lucroy...

Sucks watching other top playoff teams get stronger while Cubs whose offense been blah the last month or so doing nothing..

Rangers and Indians will take a huge jump over Cubs as WS favorites tomorrow

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Sucks watching other top playoff teams get stronger while Cubs whose offense been blah the last month or so doing nothing..

Both teams are 2 games back of the cubs in the overall league standings. Chapman and Miller more or less equal out. Indians haven't done much more significant. Beltran's probably a 3 win player this year and if they get Lucroy he'll obviously help but their pitching is still terrible. They are going to have to slug to win games and we saw last year that isn't always a lock.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm no fan of Rogers but if Baez continues to hit RHP he plays every day, period likely at 2B some nights and 3B others with or Zobrist in LF. Given that it makes a lot of sense that they aren't making a deal for a lefty bat. On top of that I seriously doubt Coghlan will be on a playoff roster and Soler is a question mark as to regular playing time.
But he probably won't...

I doubt Maddon sits Soler and Cogs

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Other thing is LF is already crowded. Bryant, Cogs, Soler, Contreras, Szczur, Zobrist.... Travis Wood? all there and that's before we talk about having Schwarber next year.
Problem is for this year
The revolving door of slumping and so so hitters in Soler Cogs Contreras and Szczur not exactly encouraging heading into the playoffs..

Why with 2 mos. left, management needs to clean this up and start playing the lineup that going to be the guys come playoff

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

The Cubs are still more talented than both of those clubs. Let me ask you this; is there a team that the Cubs could face in the playoffs or World Series that they cannot beat? Not talking about teams that they would automatically beat, but teams they would stand very little chance of beating.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Both teams are 2 games back of the cubs in the overall league standings. Chapman and Miller more or less equal out. Indians haven't done much more significant. Beltran's probably a 3 win player this year and if they get Lucroy he'll obviously help but their pitching is still terrible. They are going to have to slug to win games and we saw last year that isn't always a lock.
Indians just added another piece

@mlbdailydish: Indians acquire Brandon Guyer from Rays http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2016/8/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter pic.twitter.com/IKYmmpyTES

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are still more talented than both of those clubs. Let me ask you this; is there a team that the Cubs could face in the playoffs or World Series that they cannot beat? Not talking about teams that they would automatically beat, but teams they would stand very little chance of beating.

Not to mention the cubs have played large stretches of the season without Fowler and Soler who was an impact bat last year in the cards series.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Why with 2 mos. left, management needs to clean this up and start playing the lineup that going to be the guys come playoff

Despite everyone saying he should Maddon didn't settle on an everyday lineup in the stretch run last year, why do you think he would this year? He's going to play matchups like he always does. Bryant, Rizzo, Russell, Baez, Zobrist, and Fowler are likely to play close to every day.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Despite everyone saying he should Maddon didn't settle on an everyday lineup in the stretch run last year, why do you think he would this year? He's going to play matchups like he always does. Bryant, Rizzo, Russell, Baez, Zobrist, and Fowler are likely to play close to every day.

Cogs might also play more than people want right now. With the cubs he hasn't hit for average but he's still got a .377 OBP over 53 PAs. I'm not entirely sure why cubs fans turned on him so hard. I mean yeah he's been bad in Oakland but he really hasn't been that bad in the NL.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So if they stand it has to do with Edwards and Baez hitting RHP better.

So this puts Baez either at 2B or 3B every day. This also puts either Bryant or Zobrist in LF every day.

Line up with out positions:

Fowler
Bryant
Rizzo
Zobrist
Baez
Heyward
Russell
Arrieta's catcher/Contreras/Lester's catcher
Pitcher

Bench: Cog/Szczur

They ass can Matsuck and then bump up Soler

Pen: Edwards & Joe in the 6th
Strop 7th
Rondon 8th
105 in the 9th

Wood and What's his face in as LOOGY/LF

sounds about right. Still have Cahill and La Stella

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Cogs might also play more than people want right now. With the cubs he hasn't hit for average but he's still got a .377 OBP over 53 PAs. I'm not entirely sure why cubs fans turned on him so hard. I mean yeah he's been bad in Oakland but he really hasn't been that bad in the NL.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm definitely of the camp that believes OBP is more important than BA but if he's going to get more playing time he's going to have to hit some as that .195 BA is not pretty. The .377 OBP makes him a strong candidate as a fill in lead off guy when Fowler sits but significant playing time in LF? I'm not so sure.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With the way they've played the last 30+ games...
Every legit playoff team has a chance against them

Offensively cubs

Montero n Ross ...garbage for most part
Russell ... More cold days then hot
Contreras ... Started hot, really cooled off
Soler ... Questionable
Cogs ... Nothing
Heyward ... Still waiting

Right now its mostly Bryant and Rizzo and hope one or two others can step up and get a big hit..

SP.. Chips fall mainly on Arrieta and Lester
Bullpen.. Pretty solid now
Bench.. Sucks offensively

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Now don't get me wrong, I'm definitely of the camp that believes OBP is more important than BA but if he's going to get more playing time he's going to have to hit some as that .195 BA is not pretty. The .377 OBP makes him a strong candidate as a fill in lead off guy when Fowler sits but significant playing time in LF? I'm not so sure.

Sure but it's 53 PAs for a career .259 hitter. I think he basically can be what he's been which isn't a star but was a pretty useful player the past 2 years.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
With the way they've played the last 30+ games...
Every legit playoff team has a chance against them

Offensively cubs

Montero n Ross ...garbage for most part
Russell ... More cold days then hot
Contreras ... Started hot, really cooled off
Soler ... Questionable
Cogs ... Nothing
Heyward ... Still waiting

Right now its mostly Bryant and Rizzo and hope one or two others can step up and get a big hit..

SP.. Chips fall mainly on Arrieta and Lester
Bullpen.. Pretty solid now
Bench.. Sucks offensively

That isn't what I asked. The playoffs are essentially random, especially if the talent levels are close to equal which I believe them to be this year, so I asked who you thought it was that they could not beat? I don't see a team like that. It's going to be all about the hot hand and the matchups.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 41s42 seconds ago
Source: #Dodgers acquire Jesse Chavez from #BlueJays.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not to the extent he has this year...

Once Schwarber arrived you knew who the main 8 were

This year, he has a mess in LF and Baez who has been one of their consistant bat lately doesn't have a secured spot..

Soler returning just makes it more difficult and adds onto the mess in LF

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Sure but it's 53 PAs for a career .259 hitter. I think he basically can be what he's been which isn't a star but was a pretty useful player the past 2 years.

No argument there. I like Coghlan. My only point was is that if he's going to increase his playing time, getting starts on days he doesn't lead off, he's going to have to hit better. I'm not questioning whether he can because that answer is clearly in the affirmative. if he becomes a reliable LH option against tough righties that's a huge advantage for the Cubs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Brian McTaggart ✔ @brianmctaggart
Astros have traded RHP Scott Feldman to Blue Jays.