Trade Deadline:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yelich might be out for season. Cody to Brewers might be in the works.
That is a reach. I would not tag any Cub to any rumor at this point. All we know is that Craig said that he will return over the next trip and DH, as his hand has progressed enough to swing a bat.

Even if Jed does trade Cody he is eating contract and that makes no sense. He is better off rebuilding Cody's value starting in CF then letting him know if he picks up that opt then he will be traded to a team that he might not prefer. That is leverage to get him to opt out.

I'm not sold on PCA at all. To date Alamora 2.0 would be a improvement. Speed only works with good OBA. He has not proved that he can do that and his ability to adjust is lacking

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That is a reach. I would not tag any Cub to any rumor at this point. All we know is that Craig said that he will return over the next trip and DH, as his hand has progressed enough to swing a bat.

Even if Jed does trade Cody he is eating contract and that makes no sense. He is better off rebuilding Cody's value starting in CF then letting him know if he picks up that opt then he will be traded to a team that he might not prefer. That is leverage to get him to opt out.

I'm not sold on PCA at all. To date Alamora 2.0 would be a improvement. Speed only works with good OBA. He has not proved that he can do that and his ability to adjust is lacking
PCA has the same WAR as Dansby Swanson whomst the cubs gave 100 and something million dollars to. maybe just chill out and let PCA develop??

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Belly should be gone. He likely won’t pick up his option based on the direction of the club which is full rebuild.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Belly should be gone. He likely won’t pick up his option based on the direction of the club which is full rebuild.

How is playing for 2025 a full rebuild? I'm not sure how you took that from Jed's statements?

Ok, the team is not that far off. They lack a true core hitter. I guess that they tinkered with Amaya and removed his leg kick. He has hit .357 over the last 30 days which is promising for his outlook.

3B is going to be the biggest issue going on. Morel has hit .190 over that last 30 days. I felt that he was a poor man Baez and he sure did live up to that view point.

What should Jed do? Buy and sell. What my opinion is. Issac Parades has control and the Cubs have a clear need for his talent level at 3B and the farm to buy it.

Playing for 2025 and beyond means just that. You make deals to go into next year with.

What Jed was saying is it will take a offer that blows him away to sell guys with control. Guys on expiring not interested in holding or buying

So the fire sale is a myth.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
26 lockers stalls at Wrigley with 17 of them occupied by players 29 or older with the majority of them in free fall.

The only way they would not rebuild is because the GM is a moron who fucked up the last rebuild.

Latest Chicago MLB rebuilds standing at 0 for 2.

Latest Chicago MLB Standings showing two last place teams.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yet again, Cubs will sell but it's not going to be a firestorm. Hoyer has shown he won't just give players away or Happ wouldn't be on the team. Bellinger is the biggest trade chip. Left with power and versatility. He is not going to fetch a fortune but def something along the line of ML ready and a player with upside. This is why his 3 year deal was crucial cause if he was 7 years like he wanted. No one is taking it on. Or if they did, Cubs would get peanuts and eat money. It's not Belli is a bad player. Teams just value team control so much and taking on big contracts is not their thing.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yet again, Cubs will sell but it's not going to be a firestorm. Hoyer has shown he won't just give players away or Happ wouldn't be on the team. Bellinger is the biggest trade chip. Left with power and versatility. He is not going to fetch a fortune but def something along the line of ML ready and a player with upside. This is why his 3 year deal was crucial cause if he was 7 years like he wanted. No one is taking it on. Or if they did, Cubs would get peanuts and eat money. It's not Belli is a bad player. Teams just value team control so much and taking on big contracts is not their thing.
Nope, as you said Belli's contract keeps him from being the biggest chip. Much like Stroman last year, Taillon is having a good season at just the right time in regards to the trade market. Plus I think he's under wraps for another year or two. He's the guy providing the moron doesn't blow it like he did with Stroman. I think they keep Belli unless Hoyer stumbles across another GM as stupid as he is and makes a big time offer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I agree

LF. NTC and Happ has carried the team

CF PCA should not be in the majors. If you have to bunt to get on he is not ready

RF Suzuki is going nowhere. Not with Tokyo next year. DH makes sense to get Owen up

3B Has no business in the majors. He is a hack up there swinging his shoes off with no control behind it. Same goes for his defense.

SS going nowhere with that deal. But he has a track record and we can write this off as a bad year

2B could go either way. If they target Alonso and move Busch to 2B in the off-season? That is a desirable scenario. Hoerner has had a down season but is a solid player going forward.

1B ties to 2B

C: Amaya made a major adjustment and has had a .357 BA after removing his leg kick. They need a better back up next year if this is sustainable.

Pen needs a closer. Internal or external. Opening up a spot for Biggie should be a priority.

Rotation Taillon is on the hot seat but holding him makes sense also. Might even make more sense as you know what you have vs a gamble on what you receive and what you have to replace that presence

DH. Should be a rotation spot vs a static player.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs were better last year because Jed decided to got with Morel at 3B. Gomes falling off the wagon and injury. Which forced PCA into the majors as a unfinished product

We can point our fingers all day and call for firings and such. It really changes nothing if they do.

I am under the opinion that Jed's job is tied to the over all plan. Build a core from with in. Then get it up to the majors. He did not have the picks to do it as Theo did so he did it his way. He has a top farm but it really lacks that one player that you can build a team around

So that is what he will be judged off of vs the knee jerk reaction

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I actually think Taillon is their biggest trade chip. Pitching is always in desperate need and he's on a really reasonable deal. Obviously he's not an ace but he's pitching like a strong number 2 right now. You also get 2 more years of him at like 17 mil which is pretty reasonable. That being said i really hope they can move bellinger. I honestly wasn't that thrilled re-signing him for the very reason they are in now. He has been meh and you have young players who need playing time. Things may have looked different if they were in a playoff race but they aren't and it was probably a bit hopeful to think they would be.

The cubs really need to get better about integrating young players into the team. Eventually you have to just let them play. And i get that the worry is they will fall like morel kinda has but if you want to be a team like Atlanta you have to let the young guys play through their struggles and not patch up with a weak vet instead. The hope is you have the right guys and they break through sooner or later and then the following years they are the steady players while you integrate newer guys. But lately seems like the cubs just go and sign a middling vet to make sure they get something and that really hasn't worked out positionally.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Alonso is really an awful option. I hope the cubs don't target him
Fair. They do need a hitter that is the core hitter of the team. Bellinger is getting that cash but has not been that guy sense 2019.

The system has nothing of that nature pending.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I actually think Taillon is their biggest trade chip. Pitching is always in desperate need and he's on a really reasonable deal. Obviously he's not an ace but he's pitching like a strong number 2 right now. You also get 2 more years of him at like 17 mil which is pretty reasonable. That being said i really hope they can move bellinger. I honestly wasn't that thrilled re-signing him for the very reason they are in now. He has been meh and you have young players who need playing time. Things may have looked different if they were in a playoff race but they aren't and it was probably a bit hopeful to think they would be.

The cubs really need to get better about integrating young players into the team. Eventually you have to just let them play. And i get that the worry is they will fall like morel kinda has but if you want to be a team like Atlanta you have to let the young guys play through their struggles and not patch up with a weak vet instead. The hope is you have the right guys and they break through sooner or later and then the following years they are the steady players while you integrate newer guys. But lately seems like the cubs just go and sign a middling vet to make sure they get something and that really hasn't worked out positionally.

It depends on the return. Jed most likely will have a high ask and if a team is willing to go there sure.

But seeing Snell and other potential chips falling right now it lowers expectations.

Jed doesn't have to do this. That really is the bottom line so he is not forced to take less that what he deems equal value.

That said, Brown and Wicks are far from locks as starters. Horton has not come back from his injury. It opens a hole along with Hendrick's expiring that is not being replaced with sure things.

If you are playing for 2025 any deal made has to be with 2025 in mind vs dropping contract to get into bidding wars that you may not win in Dec.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
TBH if Jed did a deal like PCA and Morel for Parades then let Tauchman roll CF then let Cody take over going into 2025?

I would be ok with that. PCA is incomplete as a player right now. He most likely will grow into that next great CF but how many years are you going to wait for it?

There is a legit chance that he becomes our next Cory Patterson. And to this day I feel giving Cory the ropes vs resigning Lofton was a huge mistake.

Faith is a tricky thing. Sometimes you have to look at what he is and has he shown progress. To date it is a hard no. He is the same guy from last year

TL1961

Liked Posts:
TBH if Jed did a deal like PCA and Morel for Parades then let Tauchman roll CF then let Cody take over going into 2025?

I would be ok with that. PCA is incomplete as a player right now. He most likely will grow into that next great CF but how many years are you going to wait for it?

There is a legit chance that he becomes our next Cory Patterson. And to this day I feel giving Cory the ropes vs resigning Lofton was a huge mistake.

Faith is a tricky thing. Sometimes you have to look at what he is and has he shown progress. To date it is a hard no. He is the same guy from last year
You think Tauchman is an every day player and PCA should not only be traded but as a throw-in?

Good Christ!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You think Tauchman is an every day player and PCA should not only be traded but as a throw-in?

Good Christ!

? I said Trauchman should take over CF until Cody is healthy again. I never said give the keys to the city.

#2. If you deem that Morel is the higher valued player than PCA then you do you.

All I ever said is if that would happen that I would not be mad. I am not the only one who has this view point about PCA. Many on pod who do the Cubs are done with PCA and his sub .200 BA with no growth.

Also this is not the first time that Paredes has been brought up.

Would it happen? Who knows what Jed is thinking to be honest? All I said is I would not be mad.

Parades is on the block and the Rays did part with a core player. Jed did say 2025 and beyond. And Paredes has control and has no growing pains to deal with.

Cody is still under control and given the keys to CF why not stick. As a CF with a good hit tool and 20 HR power his contract is more palettable. PCA has been a distraction and a downgrade in CF to Cody. Last year and this year

Could PCA improve? Sure. Maybe Craig and his coaches are working on him as we speak. What they did for Amaya took a week to do and why wouldn't it?

All I can say is keep in mind 2025 is the goal year and Jed has many ways to approach it

For me I would rather deal with finished products with control vs watching .196 BA issues any day of the week