Trade Quentin for Dunn?

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow this kind of blew up. I guess the opinion is that White Sox fans are really attached to Quentin despite the fact that Dunn is a better player in almost every respect.

It obviously isn't ideal to move an important part of the lineup (Quentin) to fill another need, but Dunn represents an upgrade over Quentin anyway.

I just think the price from a baseball standpoint isn't as high as you think, but clearly from a sentimentality standpoint people don't want Quentin to be moved.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Wow this kind of blew up. I guess the opinion is that White Sox fans are really attached to Quentin despite the fact that Dunn is a better player in almost every respect.

It obviously isn't ideal to move an important part of the lineup (Quentin) to fill another need, but Dunn represents an upgrade over Quentin anyway.

I just think the price from a baseball standpoint isn't as high as you think, but clearly from a sentimentality standpoint people don't want Quentin to be moved.

WAR since 2008:

Quentin: 4.6 (in 308 games)

Dunn: 5.1 (in 410 games)

Is Dunn really all that much better?

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well Dunn no longer has all that lost value from horrible defense (he was historically bad in RF his last two years there) since he plays first base. He's actually measured out about average at first.

Dunn's bat has been worth more since 2008 than Quentin's. Plus Dunn has been playing in a pitchers park the past two years and still been a much, much better hitter. Imagine what he would do in the US Cellular launching pad.

BrendanB

Painting NH's Sox White
Liked Posts:
Well Dunn no longer has all that lost value from horrible defense (he was historically bad in RF his last two years there) since he plays first base. He's actually measured out about average at first.

Dunn's bat has been worth more since 2008 than Quentin's. Plus Dunn has been playing in a pitchers park the past two years and still been a much, much better hitter. Imagine what he would do in the US Cellular launching pad.

While CQ's injuries are a huge concern, I think the point is that the .5 difference in WAR isn't worth the team control the Sox have over CQ vs the 2 to 3 months they would have with Dunn. (assuming Chicago wouldn't re-sign Dunn during the off-season).

But really, the idea is to be able to pop a lefty inbetween Konerko and CQ.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:

Dunn has a -17.3 UZR/150 at first base in his career...

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Theres no way Dunn is far better. Quentin can hit for better average. Q wouldve been MVP if he didnt break his wrist. And Quentin give it his all when he is out ther. His diving catches he gets hit alot because of his stance. We shouldve just kept Thome if we trade for Dunn who is a FA. Id rather try for maybe Luke Scott of Baltimore

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theres no way Dunn is far better. Quentin can hit for better average. Q wouldve been MVP if he didnt break his wrist. And Quentin give it his all when he is out ther. His diving catches he gets hit alot because of his stance. We shouldve just kept Thome if we trade for Dunn who is a FA. Id rather try for maybe Luke Scott of Baltimore

Dunn >>>>>>>>>>> Thome

BrendanB

Painting NH's Sox White
Liked Posts:
`We aren't fleecing the Nats, they're asking for a lot.

Rizzo seems to think that the Sox absolutely, can NOT win at all without Dunn. At least that's the only thing I can think of as to why he's being ridiculous with his asking price. Maybe KW should back off and start looking elsewhere to see if Rizzo backs down his demands.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Ya i know dunn is better than Thome just saying rather than give up promising prospects for him who will be a FA we shouldve just kept thome. I like Viciedo alot. And well i dont know if id give up hudson because we need a 5th starter and maybe he can hold it down until september if we make the playoffs

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
In his day Dunn couldn't carry Thome's jock strap to the laundry