Training Camp - Day 4

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I gotta post this whole shit here cause its hilarious

Yes, that’s how Matt Nagy — with a Pennsylvania Dutch accent — says ‘peanuts’. No, he’s not going to change it.

Who knew? Who knew Matt Nagy’s dirty little secret would come trickling out in front of 37,260 fans at Wrigley Field? Who knew a simple twist in dialect would leave Nagy a touch sheepish?

That’s what happened two weeks ago, when during the seventh inning of a 5-2 Cubs victory against the Reds at Wrigley Field, Nagy took the microphone in the NBC Sports Chicago booth, got clearance from organist Gary Pressey and began his rendition of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.”

Only one big problem: Nagy’s Pennsylvania Dutch accent causes him to pronounce the hard short “u” sound in certain words like a short “i” instead. So that snack Nagy wants to buy with his Cracker Jack? The Bears coach doesn’t pronounce it like you pronounce it.

It’s not pee-NUTS for Nagy, it’s PEE-nits. And, well, yeah. That’s less than ideal.

“Trust me,” Bears receiver Taylor Gabriel said. “When we saw that (seventh-inning stretch), we gave him a hard time. We weren’t texting each other about it. We were texting him: ‘That was a close call there, Coach.’ ”

[Most read] 2 elevators got stuck at Chicago’s former John Hancock Center over a recent weekend: ‘I don’t know what they have to do’ »
Yep, this is a thing now. And what had been the Bears’ inside joke is now fair game for anyone in need of a little cheap laughter to lighten their day.

“I should have known,” Nagy said. “I didn’t remember going into the stretch. It’s my fault. I forgot that I say it like that.”

OK. Rewind to early last season. That’s when Nagy’s players first realized their fearless and charismatic new leader couldn’t say “peanuts” like everyone else on the team.

In Kansas City, Nagy had watched mentor Andy Reid treat his players to cheeseburgers at the team hotel the night before games. Nagy wanted to borrow that tradition. Only he prefers ice cream — Haagen-Dazs specifically — over cheeseburgers.

Thus began the Bears sundae bar with a selection of toppings: marshmallows, M&M’s, Maraschino cherries. And sometimes, of course, peanuts.

[Most read] 5 observations from Bears practice Monday, including Mitch Trubisky’s deep ball, Khalil Mack’s explosiveness and kicking in heavy rain »
The first time Nagy pronounced the word, he had no idea why his players were giggling so much. The next time, sports science coordinator Jenn Gibson clued him in.

Uhhh, Coach. You know why they’re laughing at you? Every time you say peanuts, they think you’re saying …

Right tackle Bobby Massie tried to recall the first time he heard his coach say “peanuts.”

“Are you sure it’s ‘peanuts’?” Massie said with a curious look. “Sounds like ‘penis’ to me. The first time we heard it, we laughed. Dying. Everyone was looking around at each other like, ‘What the hell?’ ”

Added Gabriel: “It was ‘penis.’ Definitely. It kind of shocked everybody. Like, ‘Coach, what did you just say?’ ”

[Most read] Capital One targeted in massive data breach affecting more than 100 million people »
Now, just for comedic relief, Bears players hope peanuts make the cut when the sundae toppings are decided on each week. They want to hear Nagy tell them their options.

Said cornerback Prince Amukamara: “He’ll say, like, ‘Butterscotch.’ He’ll say, ‘M&M’s.’ And then he’ll say, ‘Penis.’ We’re all like, ‘Whaaaattt?’ I guess that’s how they pronounce it in Pennsylvania.”

Amukamara, naturally, was amused that Cubs fans got to hear Nagy’s pronunciation. He listened to Nagy sing and his eyes bugged.

“Oh. My. Goodness,” he said.

“Nobody was surprised,” right guard Kyle Long said.

[Most read] How shaky has Cubs closer Craig Kimbrel been? Check the numbers. »
For what it’s worth, Nagy first sang “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” at Wrigley in April 2018. Somehow, that rendition didn’t attract the critics like this latest one did.

For one thing, Nagy had been the Bears coach for only three months at that point. He was a relative unknown taking over a team that had finished in last place for four consecutive seasons. On top of that, Nagy sang on a day when temperatures were in the 30s, winds were howling and frigid raindrops were coming in sideways.

Now?

“Every time he says it, it’s funny,” linebacker Danny Trevathan said.

[Most read] June 22, 2012: Man charged with killing daughter in Dolton »

For the record, Gabriel says he prefers sprinkles as his No. 1 sundae topping. Long goes for hot fudge, sometimes a little caramel. Massie is partial to Reese’s Pieces — and veers from the nuts.

“Yeah, man,” Massie said. “No penis with my ice cream.”

Who knew the NFL’s Coach of the Year, the energized leader best known for his emphatic “Boom!” celebration, could also reduce a room of grown men to giggling schoolboys with one little word.

“I’m not changing how I say it,” Nagy insisted.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Travel west of the MIssissip, these women are nauseating and incessant with their manifest destiny, Da Vinci secret crap. Law of Attraction. Manifesting. You wouldn't believe how bad it is.

lul

I lived in humboldt county for 2 years

you don't even know

But none of that shit is new, just a new wrapper.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
what the fuck are you talking about?

Mick has been skeptical about Trubs but I've never seen him suggest getting rid of him.

Besides, this is some magical thinking bullshit. Trubs is going to turn out good or he isn't based on his own merits.

Mick's opinion of him will have zero impact. This is not tinkerbell. You cannot will Trubs to greatness with positive thoughts, for fucks sake.

What time do you make Mick’s breakfast before you send him off to school?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be pretty funny if Mitch gets all good and nationally famous and that dumb ass nickname spreads all cause HHM

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It would be pretty funny if Mitch gets all good and nationally famous and that dumb ass nickname spreads all cause HHM

A CCS influencer becomes a national media influencer? I could see that changing the paradigm, I would be so proud of my friend.

⛑??:alien:??‍???

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
A CCS influencer becomes a national media influencer? I could see that changing the paradigm, I would be so proud of my friend.

⛑??:alien:??‍???

I'm taking classes at the Illinois Media School in hopes of becoming an "influencer"! #IAMIMS

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There should not have been a pass in that situation. That isn’t how training camp works.
Obviously we have no idea what the intent is but in camp you may throw it up to let the guys make plays on it. May have thrown it as a jump ball he doesn't throw when it counts. Gabriel stopped his route because he got beat which made it an easy pick. He probably doesn't just stop in a game either. Apparently Mitch didn't have a good day but I bet there were a lot worse throws than that, that didn't land where he wanted. He threw that one where he aimed.

Would have been a very poor game decision but I want him to push it right now and get more downfield aggressive when mistakes don't hurt you. When you're an established starter, camp is for finding the edges of the envelope so you can deliver the mail in Sept. Obviously, we want to see a lot more good days than bad but camp is about a lot more than just completing passes.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The fact that the kickers are doing well is awesome.

Different feeling than past years where I was hoping half the team wouldn’t suck.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Honestly, I wish all the trolls on this forum would spend a month trying to convince this woman all that is wrong with her thinking. My recent partner would listen to this woman and I thought I was going to lose my mind. Nails on a chalk board does not even come close. If you ever want to torture me, lock me in a room with this shit.

I didn't think I was going to make it. Glad there are no tall buildings in my vicinity.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah obviously they both have plenty strong legs as they both made from 60. I’m not sure where the idea comes from that Fry is more accurate. Pineiro was more accurate at a better program in college.
They’ve both looked good and I hope they keep it up, I’ll be happy with either. The preconceived notions don’t make a lot of sense though

The only thing about both of the 60+ yard kicks each one had is we don't really know if they kicked them high enough to get over the d-lineman if it was actually against another team in a regular season game cause you can see that the d-lineman weren't giving their all against either kick in the TC videos against our own d-lineman.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only thing about both of the 60+ yard kicks each one had is we don't really know if they kicked them high enough to get over the d-lineman if it was actually against another team in a regular season game cause you can see that the d-lineman weren't giving their all against either kick in the TC videos against our own d-lineman.

Sure, but just be glad they made it, when last year we struggled over 50.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

This is actually a pretty fair point for once from you. G.Rimson, G.Pphat, T.Ribar actually discussed this at length but reached the consensus that it was moreso a mental exercise than anything else, because M.Nagy really doesn't want to be going for 60+yarders in a game breaking situation.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I would think they practice like they play and kick the same angles and arch's. There would be little reason to practice kicks you can't use.