Up next Sam Darnold

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How can’t they luck into 1 guy in 50 years? It’s mankind’s biggest mystery like the Bermuda Triangle
Because they only look at 1 at a time over 3-5 year stretches with a bad o-line. Simple as most mystery's are once uncovered.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Because they only look at 1 at a time with a bad o-line. Simple as most mystery's are once uncovered.

True but how can you flip a coin 50 times and get tails every time? It’s wild. It’s next level incompetence.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Darnold is a high value chance for low cost. That should be a no brainer when you are sifting dirt.

You have to look at 3 or 4 high value chances per year, so that you give yourself 150 chances over 50 years, not 15 good chances. We still should have hit but whatever.

The point is...good faith chances in the last 15 years? Guys with real upside potential that aren't patsy back-ups. That list might be..

Foles/Trubisky/Cutler/Orton/Grossman...

So thats why we didn't find one. We spent 15 years protecting dog shit from competition and Cutler was emotional poison and somehow more cancerous than his former best friend.

50 years of failure is clearly systematic and I'm just trying to explain what it looks like to me.

Firesale the team, go on a massive QB hunt and change the game...come at the league with a novel tactic and see if you can surge your draft picks with a QB strategy. Their value is blown way out of proportion and just in millions of dollars...if you look what I am talking about...

and collect low cost high value potential QB's like its your mission for a few years...end up with 6 of them...the 6 best...just when the rest of the team is coming around on the re-build...

Then surge your team and live out your days sucking up compensatory picks until the ride finally ends some day to catostrophic injury or retirement.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No flippin' way. I'd rather have Garoppalo or take my chances on trading up in the draft.

The plan to finally right the QB ship can't be to sign a guy who's gotten outplayed by every quarterback he's gone up against. No thanks.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i watched him in a couple games last year and I also think trubisky is better...

If I was another team I would give Trubisky a chance because the Bears organization.

This is the same. You give Darnold antoher chance because Gase is crazy and the Jets. The Jets guys. I throw it all out. I'll judge Darnold after he bounces.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
If he is cheap why not?

Do not let it prevent you from drafting one. But no reason not to investigate both Foles and Darnold next year instead of just Foles.

Again...we should be trying to find a HoF QB and be keeping 4 until we do.

Personally I am in favor of going for 2 pocket passers and 2 modern dual threat guys. Hunt for both and find one or both...but fucking sift dirt until you find a golden nugget. Thats how it works...you put as much dirt through your gold pan as possible. Sure there are better places to look...but int the end you have to sift dirt and lots of it.

I'd have 4 on the roster and 2 on the practice squad. The position is worth 2-3 times reality or other players. So stashing a decent back-up QB is worth like 15 million and thats a nice DE or DT. So collect 4. Trade them like baseball cards. Make them look good and shiny...mint condition and then trade them.

I'd rather have all pocket passers or all dual-threat guys. Three QBs on the roster, two if the practice squad is expanded. Maybe every couple of years, draft a developmental type.

But the key is to pick one system, stick with it. You need the backup QB to take over as seamlessly as possible.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Depends on the cost and seeing as Pace didn't match what the Colts offered for Wentz, Darnold could be had for much cheaper. If they want to trade a later round pick (4th/5th) for Darnold and still draft a QB this year, I would be on board. It's not sexy, but gives you a guy with some potential without trading all your draft capital.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather have all pocket passers or all dual-threat guys. Three QBs on the roster, two if the practice squad is expanded. Maybe every couple of years, draft a developmental type.

But the key is to pick one system, stick with it. You need the backup QB to take over as seamlessly as possible.

I'm just thinking it helps you expand your search because you could be developing a Lamar Jackson while he also can contribute in other ways with that roster spot.

I know they need game reps, etc...that this isn't the accepted NFL philosophy, but I think we need to jump out of the box if we want to create an advantage in a competive league. Part of the Bears problem is we are above everything and do it "the right way."

But winning is the only right way. Try something new. Maybe it blows up and you get laughed at. Who cares they are already laughing.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes lets get Darnold, Nagy has a great track record of gameplanning around QBs and developing young talent.......

He does Patrick Mahomes is great and Trubisky is a top five QB in Bears history.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Darnold is a lot better than Mitch.
He’s had no weapons his entire time with the Jets. Mitch for the most part has had a stacked team.
Not entirely true. He did have a legitimate bail-out deep threat with Robbie Anderson (someone I was hoping the Bears would take a look at in the previous off-season, despite him looking a lot like one of the Wayans brothers).

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Serious question as I never watch the Jets and very little college football

What are/were Darnold’s strengths and weaknesses?
  • Is he athletic?
  • Is he accurate?
  • Is he seeing ghosts out there?
  • Does he have a big arm?

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’d rather trade for Minshew than Darnold. He’s managed to put up reasonable numbers at the Jags and would cost fuck all

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Everyone keeps saying draft a QB at 20. The only guy left at 20 will be Trask. Is that who you want?
If the Bears paint themselves into that corner then you know who's to blame.

Rise

Liked Posts:
5th this year. Conditional 3rd next year that could become a 2nd, negotiable on condition terms.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Taking a swing at Darnold isn't a terrible idea if the cost is right. But to me, the "right cost" isn't more than a 6th round pick. He has 1 year left on his contract so if the Jets are hoping to get more than that you can just pick him up next year in FA.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Has Darnold ever looked good? He was wayyyy overrated in college and has shown nothing in the pros. I never understood him being rated so highly going into the draft. He's received positive media coverage his whole career and everyone makes excuses for him. Sorry, but he sucks.