UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
I do recall the Seahawks moving on from Hassleback, who was actually getting them to the playoffs consistently, without much of a backup plan. 4 years later, here they are going for their second straight SB win.

Wasn't that a contract dispute after they had signed Tavarius (sp) jackson? I can't really recall the details.

Guess I should have refreshed the page and read Scoot's response before typing

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Which is what we need to do.

Sure sounds a lot like how Emery handled it. Got big guys in free agency, much like Elway. It's funny because most folks here would criticize Emery for NOT getting enough free agents, when other teams who consistently succeed (like Packers, Patriots) rarely rely on free agency. So here's to hoping that Pace and Fox rely more on the draft and only get free agents that are pretty much can't miss or at a budget due to their potential.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Every team needs luck to succeed. They saw something in Wilson... for a 3rd round pick and grabbed him. They got lucky he's worked out so well, yes. Patriots got lucky a 6th round pick, Tom Brady, worked out soo well too.

And the St. Louis Rams are lucky they had a grocery bagger as their backup QB in 1999 when Trent Green was lost to injury in the preseason. So you never know what may happen.

In our case, we know what will happen with keeping Cutler here.

To be fair, I wouldn't be okay with any scenario that involves gap-tooth jump-pass playing behind center. Or Matt Flynn for that matter. Brutal. Seahwaks really did get lucky that Wilson has worked out so well for them. And for pennies on the dollar too.

Why does it seem like the Bears are always on the wrong side of the luck card?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
To be fair, I wouldn't be okay with any scenario that involves gap-tooth jump-pass playing behind center. Or Matt Flynn for that matter. Brutal. Seahwaks really did get lucky that Wilson has worked out so well for them. And for pennies on the dollar too.

Cause they are Bears who are related to Cubs. They have a little less shitty luck.

Rise

Liked Posts:

Because of the very definition of Luck. You can make your own luck, like what the colts did. But nobody would be able to stand it in this city. Got to get that 3rd win etc

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cause they are Bears who are related to Cubs. They have a little less shitty luck.

I just want to see ONE SB in my lifetime. I didn't get to see the '85 season. Make it happen football gods. I will sacrifice as many pigeons, children, or CCS mods as need be. :-v

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Because of the very definition of Luck. You can make your own luck, like what the colts did. But nobody would be able to stand it in this city. Got to get that 3rd win etc
Interesting fact about the Colts. They've had the #1 pick 4 times in their history. They've drafted Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Jeff George, and John Elway with those #1 picks.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
hey need a leader like Fox he can get R done he wld b the best for the Bears if he signs expect me bck in Chitown at games

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I just want to see ONE SB in my lifetime. I didn't get to see the '85 season. Make it happen football gods. I will sacrifice as many pigeons, children, or CCS mods as need be. :-v
You mean win one SB in your life time.... Because unless you're like 8 years old, I imagine you saw 2006.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Every team needs luck to succeed. They saw something in Wilson... for a 3rd round pick and grabbed him. They got lucky he's worked out so well, yes. Patriots got lucky a 6th round pick, Tom Brady, worked out soo well too.

And the St. Louis Rams are lucky they had a grocery bagger as their backup QB in 1999 when Trent Green was lost to injury in the preseason. So you never know what may happen.

In our case, we know what will happen with keeping Cutler here.

Sound plan. We haven't had a good QB since Luckman but a few more years wont hurt. Our luck will totally change!

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Interesting fact about the Colts. They've had the #1 pick 4 times in their history. They've drafted Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Jeff George, and John Elway with those #1 picks.

They get the #1 pick at the best times. What luck.

You mean win one SB in your life time.... Because unless you're like 8 years old, I imagine you saw 2006.

Yes, win.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Jim McMahon ‏@JimMcMahon 33m33 minutes ago
@ChicagoBears with #johnfox in the helm of the Bears cld b another super bowl win on the 30th anniversary of the "85" fox can do it

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Once more we play a dangerous game, a game of chess against our old advisory, The Offensive Coordinator. For 40 years, your fathers before you, your older brothers played this game poorly.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Okay so what year should we be lucky enough to suck?
I don't know. I'm a fan sitting in front of a computer.

All I do know is that the Bears are usually full of bad luck. Since 1970, they have done just about everythign possible to be as mediocre as possible. There are a few years they have dipped to 4 win seasons, but never high enough in a good draft to truly make an impact.

Another example of bad luck is in the 1969 season they finished 1-13... The one team they beat was Pittsburgh, who also finished 1-13. They flipped a coin to decide the #1 pick. The Bears lost and lost their shot at Terry Bradshaw.

Additionally, had the Bears sucked just a bit more in 1997 and won the #1 pick, I'm fairly confident that Special person management team would have drafted Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
hey need a leader like Fox he can get R done he wld b the best for the Bears if he signs expect me bck in Chitown at games
By using the word "Chitown" (not to mention your command of the language), I say...stay put. :crazydance:

Status
Not open for further replies.