UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Yeah, accept its a HCs Job to pair himself up with a good OC, something Fox like Lovie has never been able to do until Elway gifted him Peyton Manning.

And if you take away his time with Manning Fox is no more successful than Lovie. You are all to blind to realize that all you are asking for with Fox is a return to the Lovie years, and if you are actually cognizant of that and still want it than you are even more hopeless than it originally appeared.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Clearly if a guy reaches two superbowls and loses we know his ceiling. He was definately incapable of winning one.

That's ridiculous. He ran into Tom Brady in his first appearance and one of the greatest defenses of all time. To say he won't ain one because he lost his last two his ridiculously ignorant.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I like how people think there is a perfect candidate with an unblemished record who is also not currently employed by a team.

No one said that, just that there are better candidates than Fox. The only reason any of you can give for wanting him is essentially hes a safe hire and the team may at least be average under him. If thats all you want you might as well not even follow the team.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I would like to believe that if John Fox had a quarterback last year with even 62% of Peyton Manning's mental capacity and a much younger and healthier body, they shit all over the Seahawks. if Peyton Manning throws the ball no farther than 5 yards all game, that's the same fucking thing as passing or running exclusively. it's one dimensional. and an elite defense like the Seahawks would eat that up and shit it all over whoever's playing's faces.

I don't think that's John Fox's fault. fuck you all for saying it is.

I also like how any team that has bad QB play dumps on the QB, but Peyton Manning gets excluded because he's the greatest ever, when he's probably singlehandedly the reason they got destroyed in the Super Bowl. *I* think he's the greatest ever. he's just not physically the same dude he was 5 years ago. I also have no rational explanation for why he's so shitty in the postseason. for what it's worth, his SB winning '06 Colts were ranked pretty weak defensively. Bears luck, go figure.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Clearly if a guy reaches two superbowls and loses we know his ceiling. He was definately incapable of winning one.

correct. Only a few head coaches that have lost a superbowl have later gone on to win a superbowl. The last of which was Dick Vermeil in 1999, almost 20 years after blowing his prior chance.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Do you have any idea how against the odds it is to find a coach who will have the success that Fox has had? Combine that with the fact that this year offers no stand out coordinator candidates you should be grateful a guy like Fox just became available.

You're more likely to find the next Norv Turner than Bellichek.

Tell that to Denver or Carolina, neither of which seemed to feel they should be grateful to be coached by John Fox and his history of success. Give me a break.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
If the Bears are rebuilding, which they are, and likely won't be in Superbowl contention for at least a couple of years, then I don't really understand why the Bears would hire John Fox. I prefer a younger guy that can grow with the team through the rebuild.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
correct. Only a few head coaches that have lost a superbowl have later gone on to win a superbowl. The last of which was Dick Vermeil in 1999, almost 20 years after blowing his prior chance.

Relevant statistic to prove a valid point.

This clearly shows that John Fox could not have and is incapable of winning a Super Bowl. He was a ceiling after all.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Wtf fuck is with this idea of a placeholder HC?

It may just be the dumbest football related thing I have ever heard.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
apparently, thats enough for a number of "fans."

If we make it to the big dance this yr,then ya bet your ass, it's better than being in last place! And how the hell do you know we can't win it all? (I know,cause you damn cubby fan) right?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That's ridiculous. He ran into Tom Brady in his first appearance and one of the greatest defenses of all time. To say he won't ain one because he lost his last two his ridiculously ignorant.

he fucking blew that superbowl with his clock management, awful 2pt conversion decisions and then the key play was the 3rd and 3 at his 40yd line with 14 seconds left--this "safe" hire makes the "safe" decision to line up his safeties a damn near 20 yds off the line in a "safe" cover 2. What did he think--belicheck was going to go for a TD? Brady makes an moderately easy completion in the soft spot of the cover 2 and gets 17 yds. FG next play, game over.

play it safe with condoms not football hires.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube_share;jEpYIATEjf4]http://youtu.be/jEpYIATEjf4[/video]

go to 4:54 in the video. unfortunately it wont show how (idiotically)far back the safeties are from the line of scrimmage on this play.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
nothing point towards him knowing there is a job waiting for him...

The Bears are still setting up other interviews, The Brancos allowed him to "mutually part ways" allowing him to keep a little dignity and allowing them to save money, and everyone is turning down the Jets.

I will give you the Peyton/Accorsi angle but that alone shouldnt mean much if Pace judges Fox purely as HC candidate and doesnt allow himself to be steered in a certain direction.
I got that impression because one, his ex GM said he thinks he ends up in Chicago before Fox was even let go. Second reason is I heard him during an interview and he says matter of factly that "I look forward to continue my coaching career" without batting an eye. I think the Bears knew Fox was going to be available and I would even bet they spoke with Fox before today.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Youre right, people are actually clamoring for John Fox.

People on this board clamor for whoever the likely hire is because they don't want to accept that the Bears may have picked wrong. The same was done with Ballard. "We hate Ballard!" Bears talking to Ballard..."Ballard is the logical choice!" Trestman, Martz were the same way, and I wouldn't be surprised if the mood on Cutler reverses course by next season if the Bears keep him around.

Darkman

Liked Posts:
Sometimes I just laugh at how dumb some Bears fans are. John Fox has made it to 2 SB's, has a winning record, a veteran coach, and instills discipline; something lacking in Chicago forever and people don't want him? Wow. We haven't had a veteran coach in 60 YEARS! Every coach since then has been an inexperienced one.

sycked

Liked Posts:
People on this board clamor for whoever the likely hire is because they don't want to accept that the Bears may have picked wrong. The same was done with Ballard. "We hate Ballard!" Bears talking to Ballard..."Ballard is the logical choice!" Trestman, Martz were the same way, and I wouldn't be surprised if the mood on Cutler reverses course by next season if the Bears keep him around.
Ah, the power of groupthink. Being a fan of a sports team and following the hivemind tend to go hand in hand. It's been fun to observe this phenomenon occur right here on this board as you mentioned these past two weeks.

With that said, I'm okay with the possible hire. I don't feel strongly either way.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Whats dumb is thinking that hiring a former HC is the answer simply because theyve never don it before.

In Foxs case all doing so will accomplish is assuring the Bears years of mediocrity and an average record of 8-8.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sometimes I just laugh at how dumb some Bears fans are. John Fox has made it to 2 SB's, has a winning record, a veteran coach, and instills discipline; something lacking in Chicago forever and people don't want him? Wow. We haven't had a veteran coach in 60 YEARS! Every coach since then has been an inexperienced one.

yes, that didnt work with Ditka. we get it. Or Green Bay with McCarthy. Or the Saints with Payton. Or the Ravens with Harbaugh. Or the Steelers with Tomlin.

either way, its not a slam dunk--but Fox has fucked up enough to show he wont get us a SB and nor will he leave this team better than he found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.