UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Your fears could be validated, but can you at least agree that a young GM and Vet. HC is a completely different direction than what the Bears normally do? I mean that's not a sole reason to trust the Bears, but there is at least somewhat something to be optimistic about.

I see no reason to be optimistic about something simply because it would be something they never did before, especially if its only because it was forced on the GM.

And again, this idea that a vet HC gives you some sort of advantage is a complete fallacy. Especially when the vet HC has 13 years of head coaching behind him and you know youll never get anything more then mediocrity out of him.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Sure, but who's talking about the fans? I'm saying those teams didn't want him. They knew what you know about his W/L record, they knew his importance to the team in reaching and losing a superbowl, and still they gave him his walking papers. In the case of Denver he was handed a stacked team and didn't even come close to winning a superbowl, regardless of alot of hollow regular season wins that you and others are now using to make your case about how successful he is.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach or anything, just that he's not going to get you over the hump. He's not going to be the guy to figure out how to beat Rodgers, match top coaches in the league, or the guy that makes the Bears offense consistent. Chicago doesn't need a caretaker, they need someone who can turn around a culture of mediocrity.

Again, I am not saying John Fox is Bellichek. All I am saying is that if they don't feel any of the unknown candidates are the next Tomlin etc, we could do much worse than Fox for right now. He will develop players and get the arrow pointing up. I mean our team is toxic right now, we need a sure thing for this hire. An unknown candidate needs to blow them away in my opinion and I honestly hope one does. If you think I want Fox over the next McCarthy that's not what I'm saying at all.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
If you hire John Fox you know what you are getting. A good coach who instills discipline, brings toughness and is a leader. He has routinely taken teams to the playoffs and has been to the big show twice. That alone shows he is capable of building a contending team. Just because he lost the first two times around does not mean he will fail a third. You learn through every experience. If anything, his experience in being on 2 Superbowl caliber teams will be a positive. Different situations, different players and environment, there are so many variables that go into winning a Superbowl including luck. You can't pin both of those losses on him and act like its a tend. It happened fucking twice.

Searching through coordinators is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack but employing a coach who has had recent success and a strong track record of developing talent and building contending teams is a much better bet.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
There are dozens of coordinators, not to mention college HCs, its ridiculous to think Pace cant find one guy he thinks could be special. there is no reason to settle on Fox.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
And who is YOUR magical candidate who is going to make the Bears into perennial superbowl contenders, you angry dumbshit?

It's a total fucking crapshoot with the Head Coaching candidate pool right now, and at least with Fox, he's the only one where you know what you are getting.

You badmouth the job he did, yet in his time in Carolina when he had a lot of say in who was drafted, he got an all pro out of almost every damn draft. If he has an ego? Pace worked right next to and hand in hand with Sean Payton.

If you think under ANY fucking head coach the Bears will be sniffing the playoffs or Superbowl next year under whatever crapshoot choice "your guy" is, 1) stop sniffing glue and 2) go play in traffic. Because that's just fucking dumb.

The Bears are next to barren in terms of talent, and were left in the custodial care of an overly permissive enabler who let the inmates run the asylum, resulting in an absolutely TOXIC locker room. And that makes a BIG difference in who you bring in, because you need someone who can command respect and clean up the shit that went on. And even if you don't like him, Fox carries that weight in a locker room. He's someone who can steady the ship, and get it pointing in the right direction.

For you to spit on that, shows you are in complete ignorant denial of where the Bears really were. If you were a Cubs fan, I bet you were one of the idiot few bitching about the long rebuild process and just wanting them to go out and spend like Steinbrenner every year for a world series instead of taking the time to do it right.

Fixing the Bears is going to take TIME. Its going to take at least 3 solid drafts to even get playoff competitive again, barring a fluke year. So pardon me if I want a veteran coach, who unlike the Rex Ryan's, Del Rio's and Kubiak's of the world has been to 6 division and 2 conference championships and 2 Superbowls in his 13 years of NFL coaching.

I'll take that known to fix this mess any day. Because I actually give a shit about the big picture. That doesn't mean I'm settling. It means I actually have a fucking clue rather than having a hard on for some no-name coordinator who will likely either flame out or be washed up in a year or two anyway.

didnt read

but Im sure you reiterated your previously posted dumbass idea. And if so, its still fucking stupid.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
So you're proving my point. Without Manning, Fox sucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANY coach would suck with their quarterback playing like that and with that Special person offensive game plan, which was on Adam Gase, NOT John Fox

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
There are dozens of coordinators, not to mention college HCs, its ridiculous to think Pace cant find one guy he thinks could be special. there is no reason to settle on Fox.

If you want to go the Marc Trestman route again...

Rise

Liked Posts:

You act like finding the next dynasty coach is easy and no reason he can't do it. If that were the case we would have a league full of Harbaugh's. It's just not reality, but I agree he should at least try before going Fox. Pace might be smart enough to realize he isn't seeing greatness in these interviews.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
All I know is I hope I have a reason to actually invest in the Bears going forward and if Fox ends up being hired that will not be the case. itll prove the GM is ineffectual, while the HC is a guy that will never win the Bears a SB.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Yup, Fox is not the visionary to take this team to the top level

Congrats you got 3 likes for staying in character. Can't wait for your next one liner.

Rise

Liked Posts:
All I know is I hope I have a reason to actually invest in the Bears going forward and if Fox ends up being hired that will not be the case. itll prove the GM is ineffectual, while the HC is a guy that will never win the Bears a SB.

You will be right there watching the Fox led Bears choke in the playoffs in 2 years time like the rest of us lol.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Though making the playoffs with fox in two years is being very optimistic.

Shoot with any coach. We have maybe 3 long term quality starters on this team (Long, Jeffery, Fuller), and a handful of average guys with some potential. The rest of this roster is 30ish or bad. I'd honestly be afraid of Fox having a heart attack trying to coach these clowns.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
If you hire John Fox you know what you are getting. A good coach who instills discipline, brings toughness and is a leader. He has routinely taken teams to the playoffs and has been to the big show twice. That alone shows he is capable of building a contending team. Just because he lost the first two times around does not mean he will fail a third. You learn through every experience. If anything, his experience in being on 2 Superbowl caliber teams will be a positive. Different situations, different players and environment, there are so many variables that go into winning a Superbowl including luck. You can't pin both of those losses on him and act like its a tend. It happened fucking twice.

Searching through coordinators is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack but employing a coach who has had recent success and a strong track record of developing talent and building contending teams is a much better bet.

exactly.

just look at pete carroll. did he suddenly become a genius after two mediocre head coaching jobs in the 90's and two seasons of mediocre head coaching in seattle? back to back 7-9 seasons, and at 59 years old he's suddenly a great coach?

no, they got tons of talent, and he assembled a great staff to utilize that talent. this idea that john fox can't win a super bowl is moronic nonsense. 22 head coaches have been to multiple super bowls in the history of the NFL. john fox is one of those. calling him mediocre is absurd.

xcutioner1977

Liked Posts:
The teams only 20 years old.

Anyway, just read a report by Ian Rapoport stating that "The Bears have been looking for a vet HC to pair with their young GM" which would suggest what I feared, they hired the young guy that would allow them to steer him in the direction they desired.

If Fox gets the job I guarantee we are right back here in three years, unless they decided not making the playoffs the next three years is acceptable this time around and give him a couple more, then it will definitely be Lovie re-dux...

doesn't matter we will not be going to playoffs for atleast the next 2 years we need talent on this team

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Comparing Fox to Carroll is moronic. Carroll only had 4 years NFL HC experience before Seatlle, and was pretty consistent with his rookie year being his worse at 6-8 and then his nest worse after that 8-8.

Whereas Fox has been a HC for 13 years and besides being .500 without manning and only making the playoffs 3/9 years in Carolina(his last season there going 2-14) hes tendencies are also well know as a HC; he is conservative and plays not to lose and will all but ignore offense unless his GM gives him Peyton Manning.

Carroll is the type of guy with previous experience you go after, a guy that showed potential to be a great HC but for one reason or another got fucked over. You dont go with a guy thats proven to be nothing but average over a 13 year career.

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
doesn't matter we will not be going to playoffs for atleast the next 2 years we need talent on this team

No, we need a coordinator or 2. We have a lot of talent on one side. The other has some athletes and can be improved with a good game plan. Talent needs to improve, but don't act like we don't have any.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
exactly.

just look at pete carroll. did he suddenly become a genius after two mediocre head coaching jobs in the 90's and two seasons of mediocre head coaching in seattle? back to back 7-9 seasons, and at 59 years old he's suddenly a great coach?

no, they got tons of talent, and he assembled a great staff to utilize that talent. this idea that john fox can't win a super bowl is moronic nonsense. 22 head coaches have been to multiple super bowls in the history of the NFL. john fox is one of those. calling him mediocre is absurd.

Ive seen plenty of john fox in big games to know he cant cut it. Cant manage the clock. He is the Dusty Baker of football. Some might say Dusty was a great head coach because of his record and he made it to the postseason multiple times, but I say he sucked because he didnt do enough. The morons are the ones that think this guy can actually win a superbowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.