UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
@AaronLemingNFL: A new report coming out that John Fox wasn't happy with "lack of control" he had over the 53 man roster and draft. Interesting. #Bears

Would make Chicago a strange fit.

If this true, I will be intersted in how much control he wants. If it's just a seat at the table for the decisions then he could be a great asset for Pace, but if he wants actual decision making authority, no thanks. Go be a GM if that's what you want.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fox would provide the stability and leadership to allow Pace to grow a bit as a GM.

The Bears are not comepting for a Super Bowl anytime in the next 3-4 years so why not get a coach that can build a program and as Teddy said leave it better than he found it.

For fucks sake... We're now looking at allowing our GM time to grow? We've already given up on the next 3-4 years?

FourthAndTwentysix

Liked Posts:
Can we just play this next year without a coaching staff, go 0-16 get the first pick and see who is a available next year. Then repeat if necessary. None of these coaches get me excited. Fucking Emery passing on Arians fucked us for years to come.

I know what you mean.. It's definitely not a great year for "exciting" candidates like some years. But maybe its a blessing and they get Fox though.. Because even though he hasn't won the big one, he's atleast gotten there a couple times.. And I don't think he really deserved to be fired.. I love watching Manning play as much as anybody, but last night you could just tell he wasn't the same qb, whether he was injured(most likely) or just exhausted from the season at his age, he wasn't playing at the ability he started the year with.. Even though every coach with Manning as their qb makes the playoffs, he even did it with Tebow, and Delhomme.. Which makes his resume alot or impressive.. Gotta figure third times a charm!(we shall pray).

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
The "exciting candidates" are rarely the next great HCs.

Its usually not the retread former HCs, or the hot name candidates. Its usually guys with very little former HC experience or coordinators that no one is thinking about.

CutlersCorner

Liked Posts:
He can't have control here I'd be 100% against that. I don't think any HC should have that type of control even Bellichek I think it hurts him more than helps.

Agreed that I would be against fox having more then "opinions" and some say and I also worry that a veteran head coach would try to take as much control as he could from a young first time GM.

As for belichick, he is the Pats GM! And he is by far one of the best at determining what individual players strengths are. For the most part the Pats always have a lot of picks and are interchangeable with the exception of Brady and wilfork. Granted they are both first ballot HOF'ers... But like him or not belichick is the author or next man up and his guys always buy in.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The thing with Fox if he were to be the HC of the Bears

The "exciting candidates" are rarely the next great HCs.

Its usually not the retread former HCs, or the hot name candidates. Its usually guys with very little former HC experience or coordinators that no one is thinking about.

Now this I agree with. McCarthy, Tomlin, Bellichek, John Harbaugh all have this in common and if we hired them with their resume at the time for our team this board would be in full freak out mode.

Edit: if I had to pick one guy this year that at least has a small chance at this based purely off articles I have read its McDermott. I have not seen what he looks like though, somebody said he looks like a nerd which I can't handle after Trestman.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Agreed that I would be against fox having more than having "opinions" and some say and I also worry that a veteran head coach would try to take as much control as he could from a young first time GM.

As for belichick, he is the Pats GM! And he is by far one of the best at determining what individual players strengths are. For the most part the Pats always have a lot of picks and are interchangeable with the exception of Brady and wilfork. Granted they are both first ballot HOF'ers... But like him or not belichick is the author or next man up and his guys always buy in.

The thing is the Pats are not a very good drafting team. Brady is just the best QB ever.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
safe got John fox knocked out of the playoffs in 2012 when he had the ball at 35yd line with 36 seconds left with 2 timeouts and chose to kneel out the clock. He also blew the superbowl against the patriots. safe may win some regular season games, but as he has shown, he cant win when it matters.

Fox is another Schottenheimer.

LuvMyBears

Liked Posts:
safe got John fox knocked out of the playoffs in 2012 when he had the ball at 35yd line with 36 seconds left with 2 timeouts and chose to kneel out the clock. He also blew the superbowl against the patriots. safe may win some regular season games, but as he has shown, he cant win when it matters.

Still better than what's been going on at soldier Field on Sundays the past few years and more. I'd take it.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
That is honestly the most ridiculous way to go about hiring a HC that I can think of. If Paces approaches his HC hire in such a manner he is going to be worthless as a GM.

And in three years without a playoff appearance everyone will be up in arms demanding heads roll, and hell be fired.

And who is YOUR magical candidate who is going to make the Bears into perennial superbowl contenders, you angry dumbshit?

It's a total fucking crapshoot with the Head Coaching candidate pool right now, and at least with Fox, he's the only one where you know what you are getting.

You badmouth the job he did, yet in his time in Carolina when he had a lot of say in who was drafted, he got an all pro out of almost every damn draft. If he has an ego? Pace worked right next to and hand in hand with Sean Payton.

If you think under ANY fucking head coach the Bears will be sniffing the playoffs or Superbowl next year under whatever crapshoot choice "your guy" is, 1) stop sniffing glue and 2) go play in traffic. Because that's just fucking dumb.

The Bears are next to barren in terms of talent, and were left in the custodial care of an overly permissive enabler who let the inmates run the asylum, resulting in an absolutely TOXIC locker room. And that makes a BIG difference in who you bring in, because you need someone who can command respect and clean up the shit that went on. And even if you don't like him, Fox carries that weight in a locker room. He's someone who can steady the ship, and get it pointing in the right direction.

For you to spit on that, shows you are in complete ignorant denial of where the Bears really were. If you were a Cubs fan, I bet you were one of the idiot few bitching about the long rebuild process and just wanting them to go out and spend like Steinbrenner every year for a world series instead of taking the time to do it right.

Fixing the Bears is going to take TIME. Its going to take at least 3 solid drafts to even get playoff competitive again, barring a fluke year. So pardon me if I want a veteran coach, who unlike the Rex Ryan's, Del Rio's and Kubiak's of the world has been to 6 division and 2 conference championships and 2 Superbowls in his 13 years of NFL coaching.

I'll take that known to fix this mess any day. Because I actually give a shit about the big picture. That doesn't mean I'm settling. It means I actually have a fucking clue rather than having a hard on for some no-name coordinator who will likely either flame out or be washed up in a year or two anyway.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bears fans are now excited for mediocrity because they believe he will leave the team in a better place in 3 or 4 years. What the fuck is wrong with this board?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Still better than what's been going on at soldier Field on Sundays the past few years and more. I'd take it.

again, its so sad to see Bears fans okay with teams that cant compete in January. I wonder if this franchise is turning into the Cubs with comments like this.
Wait til next year has now turned into "wait til the next four years!"

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

Yup, Fox is not the visionary to take this team to the top level

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
For those that think Fox likes to play rookies, he doesn't. He has a Dusty Baker like urge to play veterans that can't get it done anymore, ask any Carolina fan that. He urged his GM to shell out millions to Delhomme well after his prime and brought in other high-priced vets. Look at the mess of veterans he brought in to Denver. DeMarcus Ware? Absolutely useless yesterday, zero hits or hurries. Aqib Talib? Awful as well. TJ Ward? another bum that didn't perform.

Stay away from head coaches who don't understand clock usage late in games. Fox has never shown the ability to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.