Donator
Liked Posts:
John Fox, Denver Broncos part ways after four seasons

John Fox, Denver Broncos part ways after four seasons

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Jan. 12, 2015 at 05:17 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 12, 2015 at 06:39 p.m.

Whether or not Sunday's Divisional Round loss marks Peyton Manning's final game in Denver, it will stand as John Fox's last game on the Broncos' sideline.

Fox told NFL Media's Jeff Darlington on Monday that he and the Broncos have reached a mutual decision to part ways. The team later confirmed the move through a released statement.

Although general manager John Elway insisted Sunday that Fox was coming back, there were whispers around the league last week that the move would be forthcoming if the Broncos could not get past the Colts.

"John Fox and I met for more than an hour on Monday afternoon to discuss the 2014 season and our goals for the future," Elway said in a statement on Monday. "During our open and candid conversation, it became clear that it was best for both the Denver Broncos and Coach Fox to move on and make this change."
"I had a productive visit with John Elway this afternoon in which we were both very honest about our time together and how to best move forward," Fox said through a statement released from the team. "After this discussion, John and I mutually agreed that the timing was right for this decision."

Where do the Broncos go from here?

Darlington reports Elway has informed members of the coaching staff that they have permission to look elsewhere, as the next head coach will have the option of replacing or retaining them.

That includes offensive coordinator Adam Gase and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, prime head-coaching candidates for the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders, respectively.

The 49ers are hoping to meet with Gase to sell him on the job, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports.

If Gase ends up in San Francisco, Manning faces the unappetizing prospect of learning a new offense. That would, of course, factor into Manning's offseason decision-making process.

The potential for a housecleaning on the coaching staff suggests Elway plans to do more than minor tinkering with the roster. The Broncos have to address the futures of more than a half-dozen key free agents, including Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, Wes Welker, Terrance Knighton, Rahim Moore and Orlando Franklin.

As for Fox, he finishes his Broncos tenure with a 46-18 record over four years, bringing his 13-year career record to 119-89.

He turned the franchise around after the Josh McDaniels debacle, winning a playoff game with Tim Tebow at quarterback before capturing the AFC West title in three consecutive season with Manning running the offense.

Although widely respected in NFL circles, he was severely out-coached in Super Bowl XLVIII and came up short as the heavy favorite on Sunday.

Fox made it clear Monday that he wants to continue coaching.

"All eyes are on Chicago," per Rapoport. The team's ownership wants to pair young general manager Ryan Pace with a veteran head coach. It doesn't hurt that Fox's closest NFL friend is Saints coach Sean Payton, who worked with Pace for years in New Orleans.

Beyond the Bears' opportunity, Fox is now free to interview with the 49ers, Jets, Falcons and Raiders for their own vacancies.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
"What does John Fox Say?"

o-JOHN-FOX-facebook.jpg

"Fuck you, Spartan, suck my dick!"

178835-330-0.jpg

fox.jpg

cd35

Liked Posts:
Get him and have him bring Demaryius with him

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
how fuckin cray cray would it be if they all came together coaching staff intact.....haha would pace be the greatest bears gm of all time?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
ESPN and WSCR are all fawning over the possibilities of John Fox here. They take phone calls and a number have been from Denver fans that have been ripping Fox. It's not the reaction they wanted.

John Fox....MEH!!!!!

yeah i know i always listen to fans when it comes to player and coach evaluations. especially the one's the call up sports talk radio.

who do you want to coach the bears?

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
Heard on the radio here in Houston that if the Broncos didn't make the Superbowl, then they we're going to blow the whole thing up.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Defensive-minded, experienced HC with a 46-18 record over the last four years. Seems too easy for Pace.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
yeah i know i always listen to fans when it comes to player and coach evaluations. especially the one's the call up sports talk radio.

who do you want to coach the bears?
When Denver fans call and they all hate Fox then I want to at least listen. So, the team fires him and the fans dont like him. Kinda says something

But the point of the thread was that the local radio stations were trying to pump up Fox and the fans that follow him every day were saying no and the announcers were getting frustrated by that

Liked Posts:
Report: Broncos let entire coaching staff go

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2015, 6:08 PM EST
Fox
AP
Well, that escalated quickly.

According to Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 in Denver, the “mutual parting” between the Broncos and coach John Fox has been chased by the release of the entire coaching staff.

It was believed that defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was in trouble. Instead, everyone is gone.

That includes offensive coordinator Adam Gase, who currently is under consideration for multiple head-coaching jobs elsewhere. So if the Broncos, who know Gase better than anyone, have just fired him, why would anyone else hire him to be the head coach?

For quarterback Peyton Manning, the development points to an inevitable mutual parting, too. Peyton despises change and craves continuity. Unless he has a hand-picked alternative to Fox and Gase whom the Broncos will hire, it’s hard to imagine Peyton wanting to return.

UPDATE 6:10 p.m. ET: Per multiple other reports, all assistant coaches are under contract but free to look elsewhere. Which is a nice way of saying, “Pack up and hit the road.

Maybe they already know Manning is going to retire and they're letting everyone find better jobs elsewhere instead of starting over. Maybe they already have someone like Kubiak lined up and he prefers his own guys.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not the sexiest choice but I like it better than Kubiak or Shanny. Definitely needs to be brought in for an interview.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

o-JOHN-FOX-facebook.jpg

178835-330-0.jpg

fox.jpg

I'd say John has homosexual tendencies which is just another strike against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.