Update: Marmol/Cubs closer

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs and Carlos Marmol inched closer to a deal, as Marmol passed his physical on Saturday. As he arrived to camp. When as if deal was done, Marmol said "not yet." Deal expected to be completed by this week. Has to be completed by Tuesday, the arb hearing.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like to get him locked up and get it over with. His walks are a little high but everything else is very solid. He's a sure bet for a long time.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just get it done.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like to get him locked up and get it over with. His walks are a little high but everything else is very solid. He's a sure bet for a long time.

LMAO. You are kidding, right? He's a relief pitcher. He's the farthest thing from a sure bet.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
the north siders prefer to ink marmol to a three-year deal in the range of $22-25mm, according to levine

mlbtr

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
I like Marmol a lot as the set up man. I'm still on the fence on him as closer, but, you just can't justify paying that kind of money for a set up man.... unless you're the Yankees. And even then, their GM Brian Cashman said they were crazy.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO. You are kidding, right? He's a relief pitcher. He's the farthest thing from a sure bet.
Of course there's no sure thing out there in professional sports but he's given us like 4 good years in a row. I don't think it's that absurd to have confidence to give him a longer contract.

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course there's no sure thing out there in professional sports but he's given us like 4 good years in a row. I don't think it's that absurd to have confidence to give him a longer contract.

But that's just it, RP in general are so hit and miss that it's rather silly to give them that much money over that large of a time span. Plus, no reliever not named Mo is worth 10 million dollars a year. That's like 1/14 of the payroll on a guy who will pitch about 80 innings in the year. That's flat out silly.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
But that's just it, RP in general are so hit and miss that it's rather silly to give them that much money over that large of a time span. Plus, no reliever not named Mo is worth 10 million dollars a year. That's like 1/14 of the payroll on a guy who will pitch about 80 innings in the year. That's flat out silly.

This is what ive been saying... Three years tops for Marmol... Not too concerned with the salary cuz it won't be outrageous but I don't want a deal over three years... No sense in it.

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they give him anything big in salary or years ill lose it. He is good no question but RP are the biggest crap shoot in the history of pro contracts, a top ten pick in the nfl draft is more solid then any RP.

Last edited:

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
If they give him anything big in salery or years ill lose it. He is good no question but RP are the biggest crap shoot in the history of pro contracts, a top ten pick in the nfl draft is more solid then any RP.

He wont get too much salary wise because he has almost no leverage considering he is arbitration eligble but im worried about the years... Three tops.

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
He wont get too much salary wise because he has almost no leverage considering he is arbitration eligble but im worried about the years... Three tops.

3 years is an eternity for RP you can go from being J.J. Putz to becomin jj putzzzz in a matter of one year

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
3 years is an eternity for RP you can go from being J.J. Putz to becomin jj putzzzz in a matter of one year

I'd be ok with three years but I'd rather them just go to arbitration for one year. I just dont want to see four or five years.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
FEBRUARY 13TH: The deal is expected to be for three years and worth around $23MM, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.

UPDATED

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fair deal for both sides IMO after what relievers got in FA

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
Im down with that. 3 years was the longest I would have been ok with.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If it is 3 years, 23 MM, I'm guessing something like 5/8/10? I'm actually okay with this one.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If it is 3 years, 23 MM, I'm guessing something like 5/8/10? I'm actually okay with this one.

Didn't you just say that no reliever not named Mo is worth 10 Million a year?