Vic Fangio might be done

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Was I the only one who picked up on the way Pace talked about Fangio in his presser? When someone says, "I think the world of so-and-so..." that usually means that person is toast. I hope I'm wrong. The defense, on certain occasions, was the lone bright spot this past season.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Well he's not going to commit to him before the HC is hired. The new HC may not even want him.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
We've lost "We Can't Lose" Vic. Pace made it clear he has no use for him moving forward, either as HC or D-coordinator . . .

Rise

Liked Posts:
He will go to the packers. Just for that extra salt.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fangio was only under contract til the end of the 2017 season. The new coach will want his own DC.

Remote possibility Fangio is unsigned and the new coach keeps him here?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We've lost "We Can't Lose" Vic. Pace made it clear he has no use for him moving forward, either as HC or D-coordinator . . .

If the new coach wanted VF he would certainly get him if still available.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the new coach wanted VF he would certainly get him if still available.

I don't think Ryan Pace likes the guy.

There were reports earlier this year that Fangio was butting heads behind the scenes with Fox. Those mirrored earlier reports that had come out of San Fran about Fangio butting heads with Harbaugh.

Fangio's a self-promoter and a shit-starter. He veers off the company line when hanging out with the media, which they love. Pace hates that kind of stuff.

Pace won't step in and deny any HC the opportunity to hire Fangio, but he's not going to encourage it.

What am I talking about, Pace doesn't have anything to do with it anyway ... What does Phillips think of Fangio? . . .

Last edited:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Ryan Lace likes the guy.

There were reports earlier this year that Fangio was butting heads behind the scenes with Fox. Those mirrored earlier reports that had come out of San Fran about Fangio butting heads with Harbaugh.

Fangio's a self-promoter and a shit-starter. He veers off the company line when hanging out with the media, which they love. Pace hates that kind of stuff.

Pace won't step in and deny any HC the opportunity to hire Fangio, but he's not going to encourage it.

What am I talking about, Lace doesn't have anything to do with it anyway ... What does Phillips think of Fangio? . . .

Results on the field. You were shitting on Fangio all season...top 10 defense that lacked talent at various positions.

As far as the reports of him and Fox who fucking knows it's hard to believe some of the shit the media spews, so unless there's concrete evidence of that it's bullshit.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fox's offensive philosophy was similar to Lovie Smith''s - defer to the defense, play a field position game and try to capitalize on turnovers.

Fangio set records for futility in turnovers in all 3 years here (total turnovers in 2015, interceptions in 2016, tied for interceptions again in 2017). His defense was the wrong defense for the offense, yet he refused to - or couldn't - turn up the heat to generate turnovers.

the shoopster'll side with Pace on this one . . . See ya' Vic . . .

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
During my childhood I lived near Vic’s hometown. I also met Nagy in college and knew his current GM. Re-sign and hire so I have my 6 degrees with Halas Hall.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
I do sense that Pace doesn't like Fangio. When the topic of Top 10 defense was brought up, Pace was quick to divert attention by saying Fox should also be credited with the achievement. If you truly liked someone, you wouldn't take away any credit from him and share it with someone you just fired. That doesn't help at all with optics for the future.

I hope Green Bay doesn't get him though.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Jesus, we're getting rid of Vic Fangio why exactly?

Guy is a top 5 coordinator; if someone wants to be MT's QB whisperer and be a HC, fine.

Just tell him to let Vic do his thing and splash as much money at him as possible. This (assuming he's gone) could be a huge blunder unless we get a great replacement.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Fox's offensive philosophy was similar to Lovie Smith''s - defer to the defense, play a field position game and try to capitalize on turnovers.

Fangio set records for futility in turnovers in all 3 years here (total turnovers in 2015, interceptions in 2016, tied for interceptions again in 2017). His defense was the wrong defense for the offense, yet he refused to - or couldn't - turn up the heat to generate turnovers.

the shoopster'll side with Pace on this one . . . See ya' Vic . . .
Yet fox never was in some systematic mindset of pushing turnovers. He was of the same D strength but not in anything like Lovie who was that way because his entire system was built to be that way.

But I'd say there never was the 3-4 assets of confusion maintained by Vic. That's supposed to help generate turn overs. Maybe that Era is erases through 3-4 familiarity and without specific talent around to do it, but I don't see a big loss.

If they did something stupid like hire someone with no knowledge of the system and insist he try as much as possible to not tweak it, like the Mel Tucker hire then they're boned

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Vic Fangio will probably return home to San Francisco and join the 49ers.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
Jesus, we're getting rid of Vic Fangio why exactly?

Guy is a top 5 coordinator; if someone wants to be MT's QB whisperer and be a HC, fine.

Just tell him to let Vic do his thing and splash as much money at him as possible. This (assuming he's gone) could be a huge blunder unless we get a great replacement.

Because you don't handcuff a new head coach to coordinators who aren't his guys. How do you expect to lure a good HC if you're not allowing him to assemble his own staff? Dumb.