Vic Fangio might be done

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can't lose "We Can't Lose" Vic! . . .

AR-150229714.jpg&updated=201502211959&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder

". . . You already have . . . "

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
....To get a retread like McDaniels, who very well might be nowhere in football without Tommy and the Brain at HC?

I'm sorry, that logic escapes me completely.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
This, and I don't mind paying Vic a ton to keep that continuity. A lot of people on here are just not giving Vic his due; he's been OUTSTANDING as DC with what he has had to work with over a large sample now (3 yrs).

Ok, im a broken record....whatever, try to keep Fangio and pay him a million over market imho.

Some of you need to watch the presser yesterday....

Pace stated the new coach will have control over who his staff is. The Bears will not retain Vic unless the new coach wants him. It appears the Bears head coach search is limited to young offensive minds who i am sure have their own connection to defensive guys they would bring in as the DC. Vic is almost 100% gone. Pace even credited Fox with the play of the defense, not exactly a ringing endorsement of Fangio.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Some of you need to watch the presser yesterday....

Pace stated the new coach will have control over who his staff is. The Bears will not retain Vic unless the new coach wants him. It appears the Bears head coach search is limited to young offensive minds who i am sure have their own connection to defensive guys they would bring in as the DC. Vic is almost 100% gone. Pace even credited Fox with the play of the defense, not exactly a ringing endorsement of Fangio.

The most important thing is they don't fuck up this process like they did with Arians/Tresmtan. Vic did some nice things, but he's not at a level where you force him on your incoming coach.

DavidH

Liked Posts:
Here's the thing...it's not even about how good Fangio is or isn't. If a coach wants to keep him on board, I have zero issues with that decision. It's just a bad look to force people onto coaching candidates. It sends a very controlling message and would signify just the tip of the iceberg to these guys.

I'm actually amazed that you're even having to explain this after what happened during the Trestman hiring process.

It's not a good look or approach from any angle.

Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines
There's a reason that players and coaches seem happy to leave when they get the chance.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
Maybe I'm jaded by the defense we had during the Lovie years but honestly I haven't been overly impressed with Fangio. I agree he has done a great job when you consider all of the injuries we've had and the fact our offense can't keep the ball long enough for the defense to grab a gatorade, but I would be ok with a new DC. It just doesn't seem like we can maintain a consistent pass rush or generate turnovers enough. I would love to see a more aggressive "attacking" style of defense.

If the new HC wants to retain Fangio I would be fine with it but I definitely wouldn't make that a requirement for the job.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Maybe I'm jaded by the defense we had during the Lovie years but honestly I haven't been overly impressed with Fangio. I agree he has done a great job when you consider all of the injuries we've had and the fact our offense can't keep the ball long enough for the defense to grab a gatorade, but I would be ok with a new DC. It just doesn't seem like we can maintain a consistent pass rush or generate turnovers enough. I would love to see a more aggressive "attacking" style of defense.

If the new HC wants to retain Fangio I would be fine with it but I definitely wouldn't make that a requirement for the job.

Not sure Vic has a hall of fame LB, another potential hall of fame LB, a hall of fame pass rusher, or a borderline ball of fame CB. But yeah, Lovie’s defenses were good.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The players on that D would make most DCs look good...except for Mel Tucker.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
The players on that D would make most DCs look good...except for Mel Tucker.
When I first heard Mel Tucker was going to be the DC, my first thought was "Who the Hell is Mel Tucker?". My 2nd thought was "He'll just keep the same system in place, same plays, same players, we'll be fine".

It wasn't long before my thought changed to "F*ck Mel Tucker".

napo55

Liked Posts:
Fangio was highly respected at San Francisco and has done a great job with an injury riddled Bear defense. My concern is that the Bears will dither around in the HC hiring process, and some other team will snap him up while the Bear "brain trust" is trying to figure out what to do. Would be par for the course for our dysfunctional ownership and management.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Fangio was highly respected at San Francisco and has done a great job with an injury riddled Bear defense. My concern is that the Bears will dither around in the HC hiring process, and some other team will snap him up while the Bear "brain trust" is trying to figure out what to do. Would be par for the course for our dysfunctional ownership and management.

When you say "the Bears will dither", I hope you're not suggesting the Bears rush the HC selection process just so they can see if they can resign Fangio. Getting the HC hire right is monumentally more important than keeping Fangio. Keep in mind there will be candidates playing well into the playoffs who we can't interview immediately.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
When you say "the Bears will dither", I hope you're not suggesting the Bears rush the HC selection process just so they can see if they can resign Fangio. Getting the HC hire right is monumentally more important than keeping Fangio. Keep in mind there will be candidates playing well into the playoffs who we can't interview immediately.

True—It’s a delicate dance between taking the time to get it right, and pulling the trigger on your guy before anyone else does.

Any candidates in the playoffs, the Bears can interview next week at the latest, though, so I wouldn’t worry about that aspect.

napo55

Liked Posts:

There is a difference between moving deliberately and with purpose, and appearing lost without clear direction. I fear the later for the Bears, but you have to retain some hope, so let's see what transpires...