Vic Fangio might be done

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Jesus, we're getting rid of Vic Fangio why exactly?

Guy is a top 5 coordinator; if someone wants to be MT's QB whisperer and be a HC, fine.

Just tell him to let Vic do his thing and splash as much money at him as possible. This (assuming he's gone) could be a huge blunder unless we get a great replacement.

Most head coaches want their own staff. I'd be surprised to see him return and implying they want him back would only hurt their head coaching search.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fox's offensive philosophy was similar to Lovie Smith''s - defer to the defense, play a field position game and try to capitalize on turnovers.

Fangio set records for futility in turnovers in all 3 years here (total turnovers in 2015, interceptions in 2016, tied for interceptions again in 2017). His defense was the wrong defense for the offense, yet he refused to - or couldn't - turn up the heat to generate turnovers.

the shoopster'll side with Pace on this one . . . See ya' Vic . . .

Lack of TOs blamed on coaching, coach that til blue in the face if the D personel can't create it isnt coaching.

And as for the D not compatible with that O...that pathetic O will never be compatible with anything.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Because you don't handcuff a new head coach to coordinators who aren't his guys. How do you expect to lure a good HC if you're not allowing him to assemble his own staff? Dumb.

You can't talk to any of the top prospects and reasonably assume they want a top 5 DC who's done an amazing job here over the last 3 yrs?

I guess I am dumb if the answer is realistically no, never, they'll all insist on not taking a top 5 guy.

I am ok on limiting the HC'ing search somewhat to keep VF. I guess I have him well above where many of you do; I honestly think he is a top 5 Def. mind in the game.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
Fangio is only good if his D is playing with a lead.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
You can't talk to any of the top prospects and reasonably assume they want a top 5 DC who's done an amazing job here over the last 3 yrs?

I guess I am dumb if the answer is realistically no, never, they'll all insist on not taking a top 5 guy.

I am ok on limiting the HC'ing search somewhat to keep VF. I guess I have him well above where many of you do; I honestly think he is a top 5 Def. mind in the game.

Telling candidates they can't pick their own staff will ensure another Trestman-like hire.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
I thought they are going to interview him for HC?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Jesus, we're getting rid of Vic Fangio why exactly?

Guy is a top 5 coordinator; if someone wants to be MT's QB whisperer and be a HC, fine.

Just tell him to let Vic do his thing and splash as much money at him as possible. This (assuming he's gone) could be a huge blunder unless we get a great replacement.

No, they need to stop that cycle. If the new HC doesn't want him, then that's that.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fox's offensive philosophy was similar to Lovie Smith''s - defer to the defense, play a field position game and try to capitalize on turnovers.

Fangio set records for futility in turnovers in all 3 years here (total turnovers in 2015, interceptions in 2016, tied for interceptions again in 2017). His defense was the wrong defense for the offense, yet he refused to - or couldn't - turn up the heat to generate turnovers.

the shoopster'll side with Pace on this one . . . See ya' Vic . . .

Fangio returned a Bears defense that was as bad as we've ever seen it back to respectability. He wasn't perfect but we could (and have) done a helluva lot worse.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
No, they need to stop that cycle. If the new HC doesn't want him, then that's that.

The cycle of getting top level defensive coaching and more from less over and over.....

Ya, we better put a stop to that pronto. A lot of people here are seriously underrating Fangio as a coach or seriously overestimating our defensive talent.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
Based on?

Based on good candidates not wanting to take a job where they aren't trusted to make their own hires. Half the people here want fucking Harbaugh. That isn't going to happen, but can you image telling a supposed high-profile coaching candidate that he can't assemble his own staff? This really shouldn't require this much of an explanation.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Based on good candidates not wanting to take a job where they aren't trusted to make their own hires. Half the people here want fucking Harbaugh. That isn't going to happen, but can you image telling a supposed high-profile coaching candidate that he can't assemble his own staff? This really shouldn't require this much of an explanation.

So your argument is you're assertion is so self evident that it requires no explanation, got it.

You damn sure i'd ask Harbaugh to seriously consider Fangio; have you seen UM play lately?

Nick80

Liked Posts:
So your argument is you're assertion is so self evident that it requires no explanation, got it.

You damn sure i'd ask Harbaugh to seriously consider Fangio; have you seen UM play lately?

I don't watch college football.

You don't attract the best and the brightest by putting restrictions on their power. And perennial losers like the Bears are in no position to tell anyone who they need to employ in order to win football games.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Do the best and brightest reject keeping a top 5 DC at the helm while he is doing a great job?

Set me straight; why are we assuming that every prized candidate has a better option and will insist on using them?

Nick80

Liked Posts:
Do the best and brightest reject keeping a top 5 DC at the helm while he is doing a great job?

Set me straight; why are we assuming that every prized candidate has a better option and will insist on using them?

Here's the thing...it's not even about how good Fangio is or isn't. If a coach wants to keep him on board, I have zero issues with that decision. It's just a bad look to force people onto coaching candidates. It sends a very controlling message and would signify just the tip of the iceberg to these guys.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:

You wait on Fangio for many reasons. (1) You are interviewing Fangio for the job. (2) You ask Fangio if he is not chosen would he consider re-signing.
(3) You ask Fangio if he would DC for "insert candidates name here".
Then... you take that informations and put it into your note book.
Then while interviewing other candidates you ask. (1) If you are hired would you accept Fangio as the DC if he re-signed or would you want your own choice other than him.
Then... you take that information and put it into your note book.

Chances are more candidates see Fangio as a top shelf DC and would say yes.
Then compare it to what Fangio said. See if stars align. If they do... put that in your note book.

When making your choices use all that information as a resource.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
There's defenses that look better when playing from behind?
Hey man if you're gonna quote me at least use a little reading comprehension before you type something stupid like that. That's really the least you could do.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Hey man if you're gonna quote me at least use a little reading comprehension before you type something stupid like that. That's really the least you could do.

Maybe try not saying something stupid to begin with?
I mean, it would greatly reduce your post count, but try anyway.