What does a successful rookie year look like for Caleb Williams?

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Who said the Bears intend on drafting MHJR? If anything, it looks like they intend to draft a Quarterback

Remember when the defense got like 4 turnovers and the Bears offense had like 3 points off of them?
Over the decades I remember more than 1 of those games, which one do you mean?........lol.........

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Conservatively, probably something like:

-3,000 yards
-~80-85 passer rating
- 15-18 TD passes
- 9-12 INT's
- ~62% completion %
- ~300 rushing yards

I think, at minimum, he'll hover around where Fields was last year, passing-wise, but with more yards.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Burrow had one year of production to showcase his skills. There was plenty of risk in drafting him as a one year wonder.
But 2 years in the system and did this with his arm and distribution as opposed to legging it like so many college QBs. Not that risky compared to other 1st picks. Why would he go back another year.
What's interesting is that he transferred from Ohio state when Haskins was there and difficult to have sit at the time.
Here's what Day said:

“It his intelligence. It is special intelligence,” Day says. “Understanding how things move. How bodies react. Their ability to anticipate what the defender might do, their ability to anticipate what their own teammates might do and I think that’s ‘IT.’ I’ve always believed that.

“And then also to have the moxie and leadership that it takes to have the emotional intelligence of leading a team. So when you combine the intelligence, the IQ, the EQ, and the spacial intelligence, I think that’s what makes both those guys special.”

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would be nice but if they win the division, not really that big a deal to me. Playoffs > beating Packers.

As regarding the OP.
Year one, you look for traits and progression. The rest is gravy. It will be interesting in how this staff handles CW if drafted. Will they let him free wheel and find his risk/reward level in the NFL or try to keep him in system (fewer errors) and allow him more freedom later as he acclimates. I suspect they will be somewhere in between but also find a bigger do everything back to help keep Ds from teeing off etc. Signing that vet C is a big deal this spring.

I hope you recover soon from your Stockholm syndrome.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
But 2 years in the system and did this with his arm and distribution as opposed to legging it like so many college QBs. Not that risky compared to other 1st picks. Why would he go back another year.
What's interesting is that he transferred from Ohio state when Haskins was there and difficult to have sit at the time.
Here's what Day said:

“It his intelligence. It is special intelligence,” Day says. “Understanding how things move. How bodies react. Their ability to anticipate what the defender might do, their ability to anticipate what their own teammates might do and I think that’s ‘IT.’ I’ve always believed that.

“And then also to have the moxie and leadership that it takes to have the emotional intelligence of leading a team. So when you combine the intelligence, the IQ, the EQ, and the spacial intelligence, I think that’s what makes both those guys special.
Not sure who the other QB he is referring to, but I hope it's not Haskins lol

Everyone knows what Burrow did in college. But you seem to ignore that fact that MANY college QBs have a flash in the pan great season and don't turn out well in the NFL.

If you don't think that's something of concern that teams seriously look at, then I don't know what to tell you. Hell, just look at Caleb Williams and if he'd been draft eligible one year earlier, he'd have been a god among QB prospects.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope you recover soon from your Stockholm syndrome.
I'm sure it will be long before you stop trying to push that cart with your horse. Beating the Packers is not more important than making the post season for any real fan.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Everyone knows what Burrow did in college. But you seem to ignore that fact that MANY college QBs have a flash in the pan great season and don't turn out well in the NFL.

If you don't think that's something of concern that teams seriously look at, then I don't know what to tell you. Hell, just look at Caleb Williams and if he'd been draft eligible one year earlier, he'd have been a god among QB prospects.
Of course I do but few of their games translated to the pro game as well as Burrow's pocket passing and recognition. Obviously no prospect is a sure thing but he was very highly regarded. I shouldn't have to do this stuff for you but you're barking up the wrong tree.

Burrow is the best quarterback in the 2020 NFL draft class and one of the best quarterback prospects in the last decade.

Burrow gets my first #1 overall QB grade since Jared Goff and only the fourth I've ever given (Andrew Luck, Cam Newton). What I've learned since that slightly errant verdict on Goff is that arm talent alone just isn't enough for a grade this high. A true #1-graded QB must possess a well-rounded skill set and must demonstrate special mental, leadership and big game abilities. Fortunately for Joe Burrow, he has all of those things in abundance. He's a one man culture changer and should be the top player on any team's board that doesn't have an established franchise QB already in place.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Of course I do but few of their games translated to the pro game as well as Burrow's pocket passing and recognition. Obviously no prospect is a sure thing but he was very highly regarded. I shouldn't have to do this stuff for you but you're barking up the wrong tree.

Burrow is the best quarterback in the 2020 NFL draft class and one of the best quarterback prospects in the last decade.

Burrow gets my first #1 overall QB grade since Jared Goff and only the fourth I've ever given (Andrew Luck, Cam Newton). What I've learned since that slightly errant verdict on Goff is that arm talent alone just isn't enough for a grade this high. A true #1-graded QB must possess a well-rounded skill set and must demonstrate special mental, leadership and big game abilities. Fortunately for Joe Burrow, he has all of those things in abundance. He's a one man culture changer and should be the top player on any team's board that doesn't have an established franchise QB already in place.
I already said we all know he was a great QB prospect. But there were questions nonetheless. Both things can be true, you know...

Tanget: lol at Goff and arm talent.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I already said we all know he was a great QB prospect. But there were questions nonetheless. Both things can be true, you know...

Tanget: lol at Goff and arm talent.
And I never, ever implied otherwise. That's you doing that pretending I did thing again.

I'm not getting into a minutia battle of this crap.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
While still making excuses for the other guy after 3 years. I tend to prefer to call them reasons and to distribute them more fairly. Why is it that some posters are so unaware of their own biases that they can look at the same situation from completely different perspectives depending on their fandom.

If Fields is still here I'll root for him like I always have but if it's CW, many will be watching with a jaundiced eye while being completely unaware of their affliction.
The number 1 pick in the draft who is also getting comparisons to Manning and Mahomes shouldn’t be treated on the same level as fields.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The number 1 pick in the draft who is also getting comparisons to Manning and Mahomes shouldn’t be treated on the same level as fields.

I think it's fair to have expectations that he has a better rookie year than Fields's rookie year. Maybe he also manages to have a better year as a rookie than Fields does in 2024. Honestly, if Williams can play the full season, that will already be an improvement and I would bet a lot of the stats end up taking care of themselves at that point.

However, several here appear to be saying he has to have a historic rookie season or else they are saying it wasn't worth it. That's where I have a problem.

Williams is still going to be a rookie. Mistakes will happen. That doesn't mean it was the wrong move. And sorry, but there is a possibility that some patience will be required.

Other 'generational' prospects like Manning and Luck had less than 60% completion rates their rookie years. Manning set (and still holds) the rookie record for Ints. Shit happens. Doesn't mean you instantly declare the guy a bust, fire everyone, and say you have to start over yet again. I just think that is dumb.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think it's fair to have expectations that he has a better rookie year than Fields's rookie year. Maybe he also manages to have a better year as a rookie than Fields does in 2024. Honestly, if Williams can play the full season, that will already be an improvement and I would bet a lot of the stats end up taking care of themselves at that point.

However, several here appear to be saying he has to have a historic rookie season or else they are saying it wasn't worth it. That's where I have a problem.

Williams is still going to be a rookie. Mistakes will happen. That doesn't mean it was the wrong move. And sorry, but there is a possibility that some patience will be required.

Other 'generational' prospects like Manning and Luck had less than 60% completion rates their rookie years. Manning set (and still holds) the rookie record for Ints. Shit happens. Doesn't mean you instantly declare the guy a bust, fire everyone, and say you have to start over yet again. I just think that is dumb.
its irrational and usually coming from those that don't want to go that direction

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
It should not matter who is the QB. This team should be in the playoffs next year otherwise keeping Eberflus was the mistake most knowledgeable people knew it was.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies

Haskins had an absolutely phenomenal season in 2018 at Ohio State. He was a Heisman finalist. Day's choice to start him worked out for Ohio State. 70% completion percentage, 50 passing TDs and only 8 picks.

Don't forget Burrow's first year starting at LSU was super mediocre in 2018. 58% completion percentage, 16 passing TDs and 5 picks.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sure it will be long before you stop trying to push that cart with your horse. Beating the Packers is not more important than making the post season for any real fan.
Hmmm… Sounds like it’s terminal.

And wrong. Owning the Packers is the first step towards owning the division, which guarantees annual Playoff visits.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hmmm… Sounds like it’s terminal.

And wrong. Owning the Packers is the first step towards owning the division, which guarantees annual Playoff visits.
Did I miss them winning the division? I thought the Lions were 3 games ahead.

Sorry. I'd love to beat the Pack every time but I'm not the meatball letting another team be what defines the Bear.