What if Pace traded up for Watson...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
In one corner ya have a Qb who played in 2 NC's ( won 1). Had a 33-3 w-l . Passed for 4109yds 67.8% comp. 35Td's 13 ints in 2015 and in 2016 upped his stats by passing for 4593yds, 67.0% comp. 41Td's and 17ints.

In the other corner, ya have a Qb who loss more the double the games ( in 1 season ) than the other guy had in 3 seasons, doesn't have the Td or yardage production of the other guy, lost 4 of his last 5 games ( including a bowl game), but this guy is allegedly the best Qb in the draft.

Whats wrong with this picture?

Because College success is not a direct correlation to NFL success.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
It all comes down to the fact that Watson had more success as a college QB vs. the fact that Trubisky arguably has better QB tools for potential NFL success.

One thing is more visible/recognizable by an average Bears fan than the other, and therefore Watson would be more approved option at #2 or #3 than Trubisky.

Rise

Liked Posts:
It all comes down to the fact that Watson had more success as a college QB vs. the fact that Trubisky arguably has better QB tools for potential NFL success.

One thing is more visible/recognizable by an average Bears fan than the other, and therefore Watson would be more approved option at #2 or #3 than Trubisky.

Exactly this, same goes for national media personalities. If the Bears for example traded down from 2/3 to 12, and drafted Watson they would be getting endless praise. If you notice the teams who trade down almost always get the praise right after the draft. Though its usually the team who traded up who gets the lasting impact on the field. Hopefully that happens with us. Bottom line is Watson is a much easier sell, but that only lasts so long. What they do on the field will determine everything.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Narrative would be the same. Most people aren't complaining about the pick, they're complaining about the trade.

You are right, the problems are not with Trubisky, its with losing the three picks to get him. The narrative would have been simple if San Fran actually traded with Cleveland, Houston or KC and they took Trubisky, and Pace taking Watson at 3. He would have graded him higher. But to lose out on Thomas or Adams at 3 would have been the conversation. But you wonder if Houston would have still taken Watson at 2. There will always be an angle that shoulda coulda woulda been better, and if you got to the best scenario, there would still be a problem with that.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
In one corner ya have a Qb who played in 2 NC's ( won 1). Had a 33-3 w-l . Passed for 4109yds 67.8% comp. 35Td's 13 ints in 2015 and in 2016 upped his stats by passing for 4593yds, 67.0% comp. 41Td's and 17ints.

In the other corner, ya have a Qb who loss more the double the games ( in 1 season ) than the other guy had in 3 seasons, doesn't have the Td or yardage production of the other guy, lost 4 of his last 5 games ( including a bowl game), but this guy is allegedly the best Qb in the draft.

You didn't account for the coaching/scheme differences between the 2 programs, along with taking into account the better quality teammates one had vs the other? Is that what you're looking for?

On a more serious note, I look at the NFL draft as what GM's project a player to be 3-5 yrs from now, not what they are right now. Especially don't make decisions based upon college stats, that is just a tiny piece of the puzzle. Yes, you want to see a productive player, but after that box is checked, it's all about where you envision the guy down the road, not what he is right now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Think the narrative would be the same as it is now?

Part of this whole 'selling the farm' 'Pace getting fleeced' garbage is who the Bears took.

No one saw this coming. Jeremiah and Brugler said the Bears liked Trubisky at 3 leading up to the draft, but I think that was viewed as smoke

Rap got it wrong. Schefter got it wrong. Pace had everyone fooled, which is pretty impressive when you think about it.

But had Watson been the guy @ 2, I think the narrative would be different. Watson's become the media darling. Chicago writers were slurping him before and after the draft. National writers too.

And the smoke leading up about the Bears interest in Watson seemed to point that Pace was very interested.

Which is funny bc Trubisky was considered QB1 by a lot of NFL people. Watson QB3.

Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

None of the media thought they were going QB as on ESPN they all thought it was Thomas and on NFL network they all thought it was Thomas or a D player. Not a single person said Watson so they would still have been shocked.

And the main reason people are complaining is the trade and the fact it was for a QB period. None of the QBs were a consensus top pick or top prospect like Andrew Luck. Andrew Luck was the No 1 player in his class regardless of position. Most of these QBs were graded out as not even being in the top 20 and generally were in the late 20s or 30s range.

So that is the other aspect of this. If they were trading for a top 5 prospect then no biggie. Instead they were trading for basically a top 30 prospect who they then took 2nd.

Rise

Liked Posts:
You are right, the problems are not with Trubisky, its with losing the three picks to get him. The narrative would have been simple if San Fran actually traded with Cleveland, Houston or KC and they took Trubisky, and Pace taking Watson at 3. He would have graded him higher. But to lose out on Thomas or Adams at 3 would have been the conversation. But you wonder if Houston would have still taken Watson at 2. There will always be an angle that shoulda coulda woulda been better, and if you got to the best scenario, there would still be a problem with that.

I think it has everything to do with Trubisky. He simply isn't viewed as a sure thing top, franchise QB prospect. If he was universally viewed in this manner the Bears would be getting praise for the move, and people would question why the 49ers did this. The reason the Bears only paid what they did, as opposed to multiple 1st round picks, has everything to do with how Trubisky is viewed, and not their draft position.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watson will get forced into action early, wait until he throws 2 pick sixes in one game

No no no....haven't you seen all the narratives with him, perfect situation for him, he will be this year's Dak..... that's all they are talking about with him....gona be the missing piece that turns that Franchise into perennial contenders. lol

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The reason the Bears only paid what they did, as opposed to multiple 1st round picks, has everything to do with how Trubisky is viewed, and not their draft position.

Except the 9ers didn't know they were going for Trubisky. Nobody thought that for sure.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Except the 9ers didn't know they were going for Trubisky. Nobody thought that for sure.

Because he was not a consensus top 2 pick. Its exactly my point.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Because he was not a consensus top 2 pick. Its exactly my point.

??? So we had to give up so little because of how Trubisky was viewed even though nobody thought we were moving up for Trubisky?

That makes no sense.
We gave up slightly more than a fair value for the move. End of story.
It was from #3 to #2 not #10 to #2.

For you to admit few thought Trubisky and say we gave up so little is to say nobody in the draft after Garrett was worth #2 because we literally had everyone but Garrett to pick from in making the move.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No no no....haven't you seen all the narratives with him, perfect situation for him, he will be this year's Dak..... that's all they are talking about with him....gona be the missing piece that turns that Franchise into perennial contenders. lol

Why lol? The GM and scouts in Houston know more about football than everyone on this board combined and thought acquiring his services was worth two first round picks. I guess they should have logged on to CCS first to get the real expert analysis?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
??? So we had to give up so little because of how Trubisky was viewed even though nobody thought we were moving up for Trubisky?

That makes no sense.

For you to admit few thought Trubisky and say we gave up so little is to say nobody in the draft after Garrett was worth #2 because we literally had everyone but Garrett to pick from in making the move.

This isn't true. People did think we were moving up for Trubisky. They just weren't 100% sure. That's two different things. It's clear that Maranthe and Shanny thought it was for a QB but the rookie GM Lynch did not.

But I think the larger point here is that if Trubisky had Andrew Luck's pedigree then we would have to give up more picks because he would be a more sought after QB. Same as if Garrett were there at 2. The fact is after Garrett, there wasn't any kind of prospect out there that would cause teams to really go crazy in bidding mainly because teams tend to go crazy for elite pass rushers, QBs, and LTs. The only person that fit that bill this year was Garrett.

Rise

Liked Posts:

That makes no sense.

No we gave up slightly more than fair value for the pick, throw that out when talking about a franchise QB. If that was Andrew Luck sitting their at 2, and you think we could have made this trade you're sorely mistaken.

This is why I support the move I will add. We paid pennies on the dollar if Trubisky works out.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
This isn't true. People did think we were moving up for Trubisky. They just weren't 100% sure. That's two different things. It's clear that Maranthe and Shanny thought it was for a QB but the rookie GM Lynch did not.

But I think the larger point here is that if Trubisky had Andrew Luck's pedigree then we would have to give up more picks because he would be a more sought after QB. Same as if Garrett were there at 2. The fact is after Garrett, there wasn't any kind of prospect out there that would cause teams to really go crazy in bidding mainly because teams tend to go crazy for elite pass rushers, QBs, and LTs. The only person that fit that bill this year was Garrett.

No we gave up slightly more than fair value for the pick, throw that out when talking about a franchise QB. If that was Andrew Luck sitting their at 2, and you think we could have made this trade you're sorely mistaken.

This is why I support the move I will add. We paid pennies on the dollar if Trubisky works out.

Sure if there was a clear super star it would've cost more, that much I can agree with. Except if Luck was there we would've had to move to #1 (and Luck hasn't had much luck mind you).

Even if there were multiple super stars making everyone bid for #2 to get different players the price would've gone up.
But the reason for a fair market value wasn't specific to Trubisky.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

a QB who throws a lot of INT vs one who doesn't? Didnt we already have a QB like that?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Think the narrative would be the same as it is now?

Part of this whole 'selling the farm' 'Pace getting fleeced' garbage is who the Bears took.

No one saw this coming. Jeremiah and Brugler said the Bears liked Trubisky at 3 leading up to the draft, but I think that was viewed as smoke

Rap got it wrong. Schefter got it wrong. Pace had everyone fooled, which is pretty impressive when you think about it.

But had Watson been the guy @ 2, I think the narrative would be different. Watson's become the media darling. Chicago writers were slurping him before and after the draft. National writers too.

And the smoke leading up about the Bears interest in Watson seemed to point that Pace was very interested.

Which is funny bc Trubisky was considered QB1 by a lot of NFL people. Watson QB3.

Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

There are a lot of talking heads who put out these mocks drafts that rely on their "inside info" to justify their jobs. And to be honest, many of them (Kiper is the best example) have their entire careers based off of their stupid fucking "mocks". And when they're wrong, they look stupid.

Pace made everyone look stupid.

So, they immediately sided with their buddy Lynch and started the "Pace got fleeced" narrative.

End of day, they look dumb no matter what. Whether Pace lost that trade cannot be determined until we see what Trubisky does on the field.