What is the fascination on this board with Mahomes?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again with the assumption that if the Bears draft a QB he'll bust but all the defensive players they didn't take are going to be Reggie White and Ronnie Lott. LOL. If you're starting off assuming that, there's no point discussing it any further. Just keep going defense and prioritizing value over talent at the most important position. I'm sure that will lead to Superbowls.

As far as "elite prospects" are concerned, if you want to wait until the Bears happen to be picking 1st overall in a Manning/Luck year, cool. We can bump this thread in the 2158 offseason and you can tell me how it went.

Dude, going DE high in the draft is totally safe...

CourtneyBrown_1430294430568_17509171_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Seriously, someone explain what the fuck Mahomes is doing with his back foot on throws.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I've never seen that name once, so I think you've gone to biff levels of strawmaning.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Webb from Cal does it a lot too. Since he's a Tech transfer..maybe it's a Texas Tech thing?

Possibly. It really looks like his follow through has his back foot kicking forward, which is such an odd thing from the natural up motion you'd normally see.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I just like that his name sounds like Cojones. :shrug:

Mahomes got cojones!

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
gunslinger mentality, throws off back foot more often than not, footwork is just bad..sounds a lot like cutler

I'll admit...I've only watched a few highlight video of Mahomes...but the first QB that came to mind was Cutler. He's so similar to him in the pocket. The way he moves, his footwork, fundamentals etc. This is obviously not a good thing.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Webb I was even starting to cool off on when I did my QB board. He's a more refined Mahomes IMO but still a risk taker and has a lot to clean up.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
I agree with all this except that he stays accurate with those mechanics and can make throws with various arm angles and body positions. He's a natural thrower and Jay is just strong. I'm not advocating Mahomes early at all but when I see a QB that has to rely on great mechanics to make throws, it concerns me just as much. You want some natural athletic ability to toss the rock mixed in. You also want a guy with a repeatable motion from the pocket to help make those tight NFL throws. Doesn't have to be perfect but repeatable. Even Rodgers has taken to more jump throws to save his legs but I wouldn't complain about his motion. His in balance which I think is key. For me, Mahomes is worth about where Firstimer has him but if he shows he can drop and step into his throws this spring, he'll have someone reaching and really, I wouldn't blame them. He's a wild card but intriguing prospect.

Yes, that is what makes Mahomes so interesting. He is damn accurate (unlike Cutty), at least at the college level, despite how he throws the ball. How well that translates to the NFL is anybody's guess. He still needs to refine some things, especially his footwork. With a collapsed pocket he's going to need proper technique to make solid throws more often than not. He also needs to hold onto the ball with 2 hands more often. IMO, he carries the ball like a grenade way too much. He's just asking to get it poked out for a costly turnover.

Some team will fall in love with him, if it's the Bears so be it. 2/3 round sounds about right for him.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Again with the assumption that if the Bears draft a QB he'll bust but all the defensive players they didn't take are going to be Reggie White and Ronnie Lott. LOL. If you're starting off assuming that, there's no point discussing it any further. Just keep going defense and prioritizing value over talent at the most important position. I'm sure that will lead to Superbowls.

As far as "elite prospects" are concerned, if you want to wait until the Bears happen to be picking 1st overall in a Manning/Luck year, cool. We can bump this thread in the 2158 offseason and you can tell me how it went.

The idea that they should take a quarterback at 3 no matter what their grade on them is...weird. Watson is a seriously flawed pro prospect. As is Kizer and Trubisky. Just like Goff, Wentz and Lynch were last year. Meanwhile Bosa and Ramsey are already elite players(not to mention the offensive players taken top 10.)

If Pace has an equivalent grade on the quarterbacks as he does the defensive prospects, great. But that is not going to be the case.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
In 1862, McClellan led the army down Chesapeake Bay to the James Peninsula, southeast of the Confederate capital at Richmond, Virginia. During this campaign, he exhibited the timidity and sluggishness that later doomed him. During the Seven Days Battles, McClellan was poised near Richmond but retreated when faced with a series of attacks by Lee. McClellan always believed that he was vastly outnumbered, though he actually had the numerical advantage. He spent the rest of the summer camped on the peninsula while Lincoln began moving much of his command to General John Pope’s Army of Virginia.

Ya know...I never thought about that before. Hell of a point. If there's any GM's around, please pay close attention to this.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watson is a seriously flawed pro prospect. As is Kizer and Trubisky. Just like Goff, Wentz and Lynch were last year.

I agree with FT that the top 3 this year are more talented than last year. If you balance upside and flaws (as you always should), I would argue that Watson/Kizer/Trubisky are not just not a terrible top 3, but actually a pretty good top 3.

If Pace has an equivalent grade on the quarterbacks as he does the defensive prospects, great. But that is not going to be the case.

QBs and LBs/safeties aren't the same thing. A legit franchise QB is priceless. If Pace thinks that one of these three is that guy, he should sprint to the podium at 3 to take him, even if his grade on a particular defender is sky high.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Why would you grade a QB equivalent to a defensive player?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
TT's offense is way more gimmicky than Clemson's and Mahomes is miles further away from being an NFL QB than Watson.

I agree with the premise of the OP other than that, though. Don't get the Mahomes thing at all. It's almost (but not quite) as bizarre as the idea that 5-techs win superbowls.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a 5 tech pretty much won the superbowl for the Broncos.