What the Bears really need to do.

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay lets think about this for a second.

1) Why would the Redskins want Cutler? They are already having problems with RG3 and Cutler has a huge contract on him.

2) Why would we want cousins, period? Cousins has already proven he sucks and besides we could just cut Cutler and draft our own damn QB.

3) Seriously what do we benefit from trading Alshon? Brandon is more likely to be traded and even that sounds silly

No I guess we must trade.

Marshall, Bennett, Fuller, Jeffrey, Long, Forte and I guess Young to. To have a chance to even make the playoffs in the next 10 years. We are so doomed it's unreal.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would the Redskins want Cutler?

They are already having problems with RG3.

Why would we want cousins, period? Cousins has already proven he sucks and besides we could just cut Cutler and draft our own damn QB.

Cousins initially has shown promise and would be a known commodity to Dantonio. Are you suggesting Claussen is better? As far as drafting our own QB, I am fine with that, as long as you don't throw him to the wolves off the get go. Barring a trade into the top three, I don't see a QB worthy of a first round pick for the bears this year, another QB will need time to develop, Cousins is a stop gap, with at least some potential for upside, most likely a career back-up.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defensive line. We have Ratliff, Ego and Sutton and hopefully they resign Paea.
Yes, all household names.

Defensive ends we have Houston, Allen and Young.
An over-the-hill cast off vet from Minnesota, and a second stringer from Detroit. Stuff Superbowls are made of for sure.

And yes, the secondary does indeed suck, would help matters immensely if they didn't have to cover for 8 seconds.........However, if the right CB is on the board when the Bears pick in the 1st, a good corner would be on the want list, with the Jeffery trade, they could have two first rounders and pick up an immediate starting CB and address the O-line as well.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Seattle has won one superbowl in the last couple years?

It very well will be two after this years Superbowl.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
104272.jpg

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
¿Que? This is what we call a non sequitur. Coaches' salaries have absolutely nothing to do with player spending. It's not as though staff's salaries count against the cap or anything, and the vast majority of teams (Bears included) spend right up to the cap pretty much every year regardless of how much their coaching staff is getting paid.

I apologize I did not make myself clearer. I in no way intended to imply that Coaches salary had anything to do with Cap spending. What I was trying to illustrate is the McCaskeys run the Bears more like a business than nearly any other franchise, and pay very close attention to their bottom line.

freddylamar

Liked Posts:
I stopped reading after OP had us trading our best receiver we have drafted in god knows how long. I don't get this. Why trade away a young stud that has the potential to be a great player for the next ten years for us for a draft pick? We had a great luck finding him in the second round and we want to risk trading him away so we can risk drafting another player to take his place? I get building through the trenches but you don't give up on a guy like Alshon. How did the recent high picks we have spent on the trenches worked out besides Long? How was that first round pick Carimi look? How about that great tackle Williams we drafted? My point is you want to build through the draft regardless of position so why would you trade away one of the best young receivers in the game? Feel fortunate we have hit on a few good young guys now and BUILD on what we have. You need good players at as many positions as possible and what better to give a young QB than a guy like Jeffery. Some teams mortgage their future to find these type of players (see ATL and BUF) and we were fortunate enough to grab ours in the second round.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I stopped reading after OP had us trading our best receiver we have drafted in god knows how long. I don't get this. Why trade away a young stud that has the potential to be a great player for the next ten years for us for a draft pick? We had a great luck finding him in the second round and we want to risk trading him away so we can risk drafting another player to take his place? I get building through the trenches but you don't give up on a guy like Alshon. How did the recent high picks we have spent on the trenches worked out besides Long? How was that first round pick Carimi look? How about that great tackle Williams we drafted? My point is you want to build through the draft regardless of position so why would you trade away one of the best young receivers in the game? Feel fortunate we have hit on a few good young guys now and BUILD on what we have. You need good players at as many positions as possible and what better to give a young QB than a guy like Jeffery. Some teams mortgage their future to find these type of players (see ATL and BUF) and we were fortunate enough to grab ours in the second round.

In 2016 Jeffery becomes a FA. Are you really that convinced, in light of recent events, he will re-sign with the Bears? Nowhere have I said he is not an elite talent, but rather an elite talent wasted. hell, the rest of the year your gong to have Jimmy effin Claussen throwing him the ball.........

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let's face it, there are no "quick fixes" to the Bears struggles. We are light on young talent, have a few aging vets that still have value, and need to tear this thing down and build from the ground up.

all this moronic talk of pipe dreams of signing Harbaugh, the "second coming" of (insert favorite coach here) is ludicrous. For the 8-9 mill a year, wouldn't you rather see that money spent signing a player (Suh anyone)? Can we really afford to lose a draft pick for a coach? Do we want to get stuck in a bidding war that very well could last months, into a coach we have but virtually no chance of landing, while other coaches get gobbled up by teams with more vision?

Build in the trenches first, dump Jay, get a young coachable QB that doesn't demand a SC gobbling salary, and then get our QB of the future. Don't be afraid of making the hard trades either. Yes, trading people like Jeffery might suck at first, but bears fan need to focus on long term.

A name has come up that I think could actually end up (long term) being a better coach than Harbaugh- Mark Dantonio. This is a coach we can land. Trade JC for Cousins, and get out from under that contract. NO, I don't see Cousins as being the QB of the future, nor do I think that should be the bears first step, but he has a small chance, and if he doesn't pan out, he just serves as the stop-gap that this team needs right now.

The problem with trading away players is that you're just going to get back a pick that you need to replace them. The Bears don't have anyone with the value to get the kind of capital needed to rebuild that way. You can only do that with a franchise QB, or back before it became a QB league, a top RB (Herschel Walker). You need young players like Jeffery to develop. Our top players, Marshall and Forte, are on the back nines of their careers and you're not going to get a franchise-changing amount of draft capital in return for them. They're more valuable to us by getting the most out of them while they're here.

There's a ton of talent on this offense. Aside from the whole QB issue, we need a couple of younger upgrades on the OL and that's pretty much it for right now. The real rebuilding that needs done is on the defense, particularly the secondary. I think Bostic, Sharpton and Jones can make a solid enough LB corps if there's a competent group in front and behind them.

And really, with the parity in the NFL today and the speed at which teams go from good to bad to good again, you're never that far away from contending in you're smart.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem with trading away players is that you're just going to get back a pick that you need to replace them. The Bears don't have anyone with the value to get the kind of capital needed to rebuild that way. You can only do that with a franchise QB, or back before it became a QB league, a top RB (Herschel Walker). You need young players like Jeffery to develop. Our top players, Marshall and Forte, are on the back nines of their careers and you're not going to get a franchise-changing amount of draft capital in return for them. They're more valuable to us by getting the most out of them while they're here.

There's a ton of talent on this offense. Aside from the whole QB issue, we need a couple of younger upgrades on the OL and that's pretty much it for right now. The real rebuilding that needs done is on the defense, particularly the secondary. I think Bostic, Sharpton and Jones can make a solid enough LB corps if there's a competent group in front and behind them.

And really, with the parity in the NFL today and the speed at which teams go from good to bad to good again, you're never that far away from contending in you're smart.

I agree with nearly everything you say, with the exception I do think Jeffery has 1st round value. Hey, if this guy was signed through 2018 I wouldn't consider it, but, he's not. I also think the D-line still needs a stud.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I agree with nearly everything you say, with the exception I do think Jeffery has 1st round value. Hey, if this guy was signed through 2018 I wouldn't consider it, but, he's not. I also think the D-line still needs a stud.

Him and Long are the 2 guys you keep, as they would have to be replaced down the road w/similar talent.

Guys like Forte are the ones you trade, older players that still have value for picks. If you can unload a Forte for 2 picks, then get back a 21 year old Forte...even if that second pick is blown the team gets better.

Trading a Jeffery or Long isn't going to make the Bears younger, or better. Only time you do that is when you have a drafting guru for a GM, and some other team makes an offer too good to pass on.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys like Forte are the ones you trade, older players that still have value for picks. If you can unload a Forte for 2 picks, then get back a 21 year old Forte...even if that second pick is blown the team gets better

forte might get you a third, at best. jefferey might get you 1st +. You guys keep approaching this like Jeffery is singed to a long term deal, he isn't.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
forte might get you a third, at best. jefferey might get you 1st +. You guys keep approaching this like Jeffery is singed to a long term deal, he isn't.

Contract isn't a factor in this case, plus Bears don't have a GM that can hit on 2 of 3 picks...just the opposite in fact.

What you are proposing is not feasible at this time.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Contract isn't a factor in this case, plus Bears don't have a GM that can hit on 2 of 3 picks...just the opposite in fact.

What you are proposing is not feasible at this time.

FWIW, I am operating under the assumption there will be a new GM for the bears. Point taken on if Emery were to remain. Then again, if things remain status quo, and the bears continue to flounder, why on earth would Jefferey stay anyways?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Let's face it, there are no "quick fixes" to the Bears struggles. We are light on young talent, have a few aging vets that still have value, and need to tear this thing down and build from the ground up.

all this moronic talk of pipe dreams of signing Harbaugh, the "second coming" of (insert favorite coach here) is ludicrous. For the 8-9 mill a year, wouldn't you rather see that money spent signing a player (Suh anyone)? Can we really afford to lose a draft pick for a coach? Do we want to get stuck in a bidding war that very well could last months, into a coach we have but virtually no chance of landing, while other coaches get gobbled up by teams with more vision?

Build in the trenches first, dump Jay, get a young coachable QB that doesn't demand a SC gobbling salary, and then get our QB of the future. Don't be afraid of making the hard trades either. Yes, trading people like Jeffery might suck at first, but bears fan need to focus on long term.

A name has come up that I think could actually end up (long term) being a better coach than Harbaugh- Mark Dantonio. This is a coach we can land. Trade JC for Cousins, and get out from under that contract. NO, I don't see Cousins as being the QB of the future, nor do I think that should be the bears first step, but he has a small chance, and if he doesn't pan out, he just serves as the stop-gap that this team needs right now.

You motherfucker

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
HOLY SHIT!
What a fucking clown hahahaha

gotta love that he was F5ing CCS until this was bumped. Puss

Last edited: