What's worse? Not drafting a QB or drafting the wrong QB?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, not drafting a QB when you need one can set you back an entire season. But drafting the wrong QB is much more catastrophic. You draft the wrong QB, and it sets your franchise back at least 3 years and up to a decade with a QB who shows you just enough to give you false hope.

You make due with whatever QBs you can get in later rounds or via FA until you find one you love, and then go after that guy with everything you have. Because once you commit to a QB high in the draft, you're all in. And if you are going to risk your career on drafting a franchise QB, better to wait for the one you really want, rather than panic and settle for who is available.

There is tremendous pressure on Ryan Pace to draft a franchise QB this year. Many say that his job is on the line if he doesn't grab one of the top QB prospects. Let's hope Pace doesn't succumb to pressure and actually does what's right for the organization.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
0d0a61cbd98b14d2e36c2b4d010d7c4c.jpg

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
^ what they said

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I mean....you should try if you feel good about the prospects ability to transition to the NFL. If you don't feel good about it, you shouldn't try just to try. It's a very heavy decision. But to answer the question....it's obviously a lot worse to pick a QB and miss. It's a pretty unfair question though.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My point is that just TRYING could dig the organization into an even bigger hole.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
QBs in draft suck this year. You do not reach at 3.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The people that argue other position players bust just as often as QB's don't factor in that a bust DE is easy to move on from while a bust QB can cripple your team for years. So you better be damn sure of the one you are selecting.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
My point is that just TRYING could dig the organization into an even bigger hole.

Look what we have on our roster? Would you roll with what we have? Or try and draft one? I'm personally drafting one and not giving it a second thought.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You could say that any year though. I don't agree that Watson//Kizer/Trubisky is even a "meh" top 3 far less the weak class the media have once again proclaimed. It's fine if you disagree, but if you go with the option that it's too risky, the question becomes "If not now, when?".

If they aren't insanely injured again and with the big investments they'll be making in FA, they're probably going to be back at least to mediocrity as opposed to top 3 pick. So do you think if there are any safer, more "blue chip" franchise prospects next year that they'll be on the board at 16?

Every way I look at it, I want them to draft Watson or Kizer. The upside and opportunity to completely elevate the team for the next several years is just too much to pass on, imo.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
You could say that any year though. I don't agree that Watson//Kizer/Trubisky is even a "meh" top 3 far less the weak class the media have once again proclaimed. It's fine if you disagree, but if you go with the option that it's too risky, the question becomes "If not now, when?".

If they aren't insanely injured again and with the big investments they'll be making in FA, they're probably going to be back at least to mediocrity as opposed to top 3 pick. So do you think if there are any safer, more "blue chip" franchise prospects next year that they'll be on the board at 16?

Every way I look at it, I want them to draft Watson or Kizer. The upside and opportunity to completely elevate the team for the next several years is just too much to pass on, imo.

I would be happy with any of the top 3. Would you be all right with Trubisky?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Yes, not drafting a QB when you need one can set you back an entire season. But drafting the wrong QB is much more catastrophic. You draft the wrong QB, and it sets your franchise back at least 3 years and up to a decade with a QB who shows you just enough to give you false hope.

You make due with whatever QBs you can get in later rounds or via FA until you find one you love, and then go after that guy with everything you have. Because once you commit to a QB high in the draft, you're all in. And if you are going to risk your career on drafting a franchise QB, better to wait for the one you really want, rather than panic and settle for who is available.

There is tremendous pressure on Ryan Pace to draft a franchise QB this year. Many say that his job is on the line if he doesn't grab one of the top QB prospects. Let's hope Pace doesn't succumb to pressure and actually does what's right for the organization.
Drafting the "wrong QB" is not more catastrophic. The days of $50mil guaranteed on 1st Rd pick like JaMarcus Russell are over. Hadn't you heard?

You swing at your 1st pick and what happens happens. Draft QB failures are not worse than DE failures. And certainly not worse than gigantic FA signing failures.

If any player isn't good enough, you switch. Teams part with 1st Rd failures. Why you vomitting this 'set you back 3 years' thing? A team CAN stick longer with any position player. They tend to hang-on with 1st rounders longer than others, but it's not a QB thing, and it's a free-choice thing.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would be happy with any of the top 3. Would you be all right with Trubisky?

If Pace feels he's the guy, I'm on board. I just see more impact star potential in Watson and Kizer but I think Trubisky has the talent to be good too and might end up being the best of them. If Pace feels good about any of them, I hope he pulls the trigger.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Ya know....it'd be cool if we could for once talk about drafting a QB at #3 or not...let's stop beating around the bush

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
The people that argue other position players bust just as often as QB's don't factor in that a bust DE is easy to move on from while a bust QB can cripple your team for years. So you better be damn sure of the one you are selecting.

Shea and Fuller picks hurt us more than Grossman. If they pick the wrong guy we will live to pick again. We wont have to give an insane rookie contract as well. I am used to this organization drafting top 20 busts. Outside of Urlacher, Long, and Harris our first round picks have been trash.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Shea and Fuller picks hurt us more than Grossman. If they pick the wrong guy we will live to pick again. We wont have to give an insane rookie contract as well. I am used to this organization drafting top 20 busts. Outside of Urlacher, Long, and Harris our first round picks have been trash.

I still think Fuller could be a stud at NB. And Uncle Phil is the only GM dumb enough to pick Shea where he did.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The Bears really have nothing to lose. They sink. They have stunk. They will continue to stink if they don't address some key positions is trade, FA, or draft.

The QB position in this particular draft is less then desirable. There are some QB trade possibles with flaws. If they decide to reach at #3 then great why not. If they decide to trade for MCarron or Jimmy G, then great they could use the #3 to fill a hole.

This franchise is poorly managed and poorly staffed. The Bears are the most underutilized, stagnant, and least innovative franchise in professional sports. The expectations are very low so no one player is going to set this franchise back when they're already in the rear.

napo55

Liked Posts:
So I guess the suggestion here is that there's no point in drafting a QB because if he fails, the franchise suffers.

I agree. We don't need a QB and can use a direct snap to a RB every down.