What's worse? Not drafting a QB or drafting the wrong QB?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Why are we over thinking this so much?! I mean...., oh no we are gonna MISS OUT ON JONATHAN ALLEN!?!?!??!!? HEAVEN FORBID!!!!!!

This is the highest we have ever picked and we have literally NEVER had a truly great franchise QB. Grab the sack of what used to be your balls out of your wife's purse and draft a fucking signal caller.

#QBAt3
I did not know fixing QB was so easy. just pick one and draft him. Who knew.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;nRYydp14x-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRYydp14x-I[/video]

Making fun of me saying I was relieved bearsmick is not the Bears GM is pretty lame but to say he got in some kind of kill shot with such a lame response is delusional. bearsmick and rory and everyone else who wants to take a QB with this pick regardless of how risky it may be are behaving like meathead Bear fans whining away about how I want my Bears franchise QB and I want it now. This is behaving like impatient children.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wrong. If the Bears had moved on from Grossman or had not gotten Grossman, they would have done everything possible to get Aaron Rodgers when he started free-falling.

You don't know that

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Making fun of me saying I was relieved bearsmick is not the Bears GM is pretty lame but to say he got in some kind of kill shot with such a lame response is delusional. bearsmick and rory and everyone else who wants to take a QB with this pick regardless of how risky it may be are behaving like meathead Bear fans whining away about how I want my Bears franchise QB and I want it now. This is behaving like impatient children.

Right. We'll just wait until a QB prospect with zero risk comes along.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You assume far too much. You assume that anyone who wants to take one of these QBs hasn't followed them through their college careers, weighed their upside with their risks and come to their own conclusion via their own analysis. You assume that we all just want to throw a dart at a board and take a QB, any QB, as long as it's a QB. You're wrong about that.

I have spent the last few months on this board discussion why I want them to draft Watson or Kizer. If you haven't seen these discussions, too bad, but you shouldn't make such lazy assumptions. It's entirely possible that other people have done as much or more research than you and simply disagree with your opinion about these players.

Also, refusing to take any risk whatsoever is every bit as stupid as being overly hasty. Going with your ultra-conservative attitude, the Bears will spend eternity with a decent defense and no talent at QB. We've been doing that for decades. I'm ready for the team to move into the 21st century.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You assume far too much. You assume that anyone who wants to take one of these QBs hasn't followed them through their college careers, weighed their upside with their risks and come to their own conclusion via their own analysis. You assume that we all just want to throw a dart at a board and take a QB, any QB, as long as it's a QB. You're wrong about that.

I have spent the last few months on this board discussion why I want them to draft Watson or Kizer. If you haven't seen these discussions, too bad, but you shouldn't make such lazy assumptions. It's entirely possible that other people have done as much or more research than you and simply disagree with your opinion about these players. Have you ever considered that?

Nah bearmick, his math is as simple as this:

1st round QB= Risky/scary

1st round Defense: Not risky/not scary

Username

Liked Posts:
First priority would be to get a competent OC that can game plan to the QB's strengths, and also make adjustments.
2nd would be to get a stable and good O line to protect the QB and give him time to think.
3rd would be to draft or get a franchise QB.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Everyone has their views on who the best player would be at 3, but I just do not understand why some are so averse to risk with a first round pick! Years ago this would make sense for budget reasons, and i guess it would make sense as well if we were paying a high price to trade up, but such is not the case.

Any given team is nolonger financially anchored when a first round pick busts. Look at Jared Goff's contract, and notice how little he gets paid to play like crap! What matters now is the draft as a whole - i.e. does the draft bring in a couple starters and a couple contributors, disregarding where they were selected.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Packers had Favre, they draft Rodgers, then they draft Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm. Then they draft Brett Hundley.

Patriots had Bledsoe, they draft Brady, then (didn't they draft Hoyer and that other douchebag that wen AWOL in Houston) they draft the second coming of Joe Montana, then they draft Jacoby Brissett.

Seahawks had Hasselbeck, then they draft Whitehurst, they sign Flynn, they draft Wilson.

Good teams aren't afraid of taking QBs. We should be like the good teams in the league.

And - Washington mortgages the future on RGIII and still drafts Cousins who is going to cash in big time this year. Try, try, try...

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, not drafting a QB when you need one can set you back an entire season. But drafting the wrong QB is much more catastrophic. You draft the wrong QB, and it sets your franchise back at least 3 years and up to a decade with a QB who shows you just enough to give you false hope.

You make due with whatever QBs you can get in later rounds or via FA until you find one you love, and then go after that guy with everything you have. Because once you commit to a QB high in the draft, you're all in. And if you are going to risk your career on drafting a franchise QB, better to wait for the one you really want, rather than panic and settle for who is available.

There is tremendous pressure on Ryan Pace to draft a franchise QB this year. Many say that his job is on the line if he doesn't grab one of the top QB prospects. Let's hope Pace doesn't succumb to pressure and actually does what's right for the organization.

Poor Ryan Pace . . . Bottom line - he put himself in this position by being the guy who came in stating a GM needed to draft quarterbii (pl: quarterback) every year until he got it right then being afraid to take anyone for two straight years. If the guy had the balls to take a shot once the last two years maybe he wouldn't be looking at a do-or-die QB high-round selection this year.

the shoopster's got no sympathy for him . . .

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
John Fox was in a similar situation in 2011 as the Denver Broncos head coach. They had no QB and the #2 pick in the draft. Instead of reaching for one of the top QB's, Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker, Denver went with the BPA. They drafted Von Miller. From 2012-2015, the Broncos went 50-14 and won a super bowl. Their franchise would have gone in a much different direction if they had taken a shot on Gabbert/Locker.

This is a false narrative. You only claim he reached because you know those QBs failed. If they had succeeded you would have pretended this did not exist. Case in point.

Like, the Bears were in the same position in 2005. They drafted Cedric Benson and didn't reach for Aaron Rodgers and then Green Bay went on to win a Super Bowl and the Bears still suck.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Having a chance at 1 million dollars or having no chance at 1 million dollars implies no risk beyond not winning the million dollars. It's more like: You have a chance to win 1 million dollars, but if you don't win the 1 million dollars you get your arm amputated.

I wouldn't say the consequence of a bad QB is getting your arm cut off. More like sitting In a skybox with a "pissed off" Ginny MCaskey (whatever that is) game after dreadful game with the rest of the NFL laughing at you . . .

. . . Oh wait, Pace already has that. So what's he so afraid of? . . .

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He thought about it. That's not really trying.

No he actually called the Titans and tried making a trade with them to move up for M.Mariota....that's trying.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone has their views on who the best player would be at 3, but I just do not understand why some are so averse to risk with a first round pick! Years ago this would make sense for budget reasons, and i guess it would make sense as well if we were paying a high price to trade up, but such is not the case.

Any given team is nolonger financially anchored when a first round pick busts. Look at Jared Goff's contract, and notice how little he gets paid to play like crap! What matters now is the draft as a whole - i.e. does the draft bring in a couple starters and a couple contributors, disregarding where they were selected.

The risk is time, not money.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a false narrative. You only claim he reached because you know those QBs failed. If they had succeeded you would have pretended this did not exist. Case in point.

Like, the Bears were in the same position in 2005. They drafted Cedric Benson and didn't reach for Aaron Rodgers and then Green Bay went on to win a Super Bowl and the Bears still suck.

As someone pointed out before, the Bears couldn't draft Rodgers because they had already foolishly gone all in with Grossman.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The risk is time, not money.

That doesn't make sense, any quarterback you draft is expected to need room for growth if you intend on starting him at any point. If you get a good return on your other picks, this shouldn't be a problem at all. Unless the point is to not draft a QB to begin with... But that's a fool's argument.

Or am I missing something?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As someone pointed out before, the Bears couldn't draft Rodgers because they had already foolishly gone all in with Grossman.

Lol, the Packers had Brett Favre. Grossman was drafted two years before and had shown zero in the 2 years since not to mention he had picked up a few injuries. Nor was he a top 10 pick so he didn't cost enough for it to be all in.

And the point here is judging things by hindsight is dumb. It's easy to know what the right decision was when you already know the outcome. Saying Fox didn't draft Locker or Gabbert because they were reaches is bullshit. They went in the general area where they were suppose to go.

Like did the teams that passed on Derek Carr happy they didn't reach for a QB? Of course not because since we know he looks like a stud, people are going to fashion an argument that teams should have taken him sooner.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Half the people bitching in here are really just pissing and moaning that draft prospects are unknown. Yes, in real life, prospects don't come with ratings for every skill like in madden. Whoopty do. Risk in involved. So what?

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
I think the team would greatly benefit from having a talented young QB to rally and build around. You do that and your team has a clear direction, protect the QB, add playmakers, and fill in the gaps. Not to mention it gives everyone a little hope for the upcoming season. Hoyer starting on opening day? Why even bother watching? We grab a defender not named Garrett and I feel like we'll still be patching holes randomly for all eternity, from one fired savior GM to the next.