What's worse? Not drafting a QB or drafting the wrong QB?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Its interesting that in this discussion about whats the is the worst possible scenario you like the two QB's most that have the biggest risks. Trubisky's risk is his inexperience but outside of that there are no red flags. Whereas Kizer and Watson have all sorts of red flags. I am just glad you dont have Pace's job.
Its easy for a fan to say roll the dice take this big risk and that big risk but when its your ass on the line nobody just rolls the dice without thinking long and hard about what is the best option to take.

It's not Russian roulette, it's drafting a football player. It's a GMs job. And yeah, there's risk in any high pick. Risk isn't always a bad thing. Analyzing players' abilities and upside and weighing them against the risks to make an informed decision is a GMs job.

Or we could have people like you who just follow the ESPN draft board like sheep and "play it safe" year after year, continuing the endless mediocrity. No thanks.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not drafting a QB is far more harmful to your team.

Would you rather have a chance at 1 million dollars, or no chance at 1 million dollars.

You cannot find a franchise QB unless you TRY to find one. You cannot cower in the corner and wait for Andrew Luck to come save you. You have to try to find the QB and you may miss, but not trying is like treading water until you drown, pointless.

xByIIr.jpg

Having a chance at 1 million dollars or having no chance at 1 million dollars implies no risk beyond not winning the million dollars. It's more like: You have a chance to win 1 million dollars, but if you don't win the 1 million dollars you get your arm amputated.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not drafting a QB is far more harmful to your team.

Would you rather have a chance at 1 million dollars, or no chance at 1 million dollars.

You might sprain your back reaching down for the million dollars. It's just too risky.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
John Fox was in a similar situation in 2011 as the Denver Broncos head coach. They had no QB and the #2 pick in the draft. Instead of reaching for one of the top QB's, Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker, Denver went with the BPA. They drafted Von Miller. From 2012-2015, the Broncos went 50-14 and won a super bowl. Their franchise would have gone in a much different direction if they had taken a shot on Gabbert/Locker.
You have no idea if they simply went BPA or not. They could have hated Locker and Gabbert as QBs in general. You're assuming something to fit your shitty narrative.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Incredible stuff. Thats like saying "Jerry Krause built the Bulls dynasty by drafting really good role players...so that should be the blueprint for the current Bulls" while failing to mention that Krause inherited Michael Jordan.

Instead of panicking and reaching for a QB when they needed one, Denver instead waited and got the QB they truly wanted the following year.
Peyton Manning wasn't available the year prior...he was out with a neck injury. is a QB of Peyton Manning caliber going to be on the trade/FA market next season? Should the Bears plan/hope for that?!

What the fuck are you advocating?

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
It's not Russian roulette, it's drafting a football player. It's a GMs job. And yeah, there's risk in any high pick. Risk isn't always a bad thing. Analyzing players' abilities and upside and weighing them against the risks to make an informed decision is a GMs job.

Or we could have people like you who just follow the ESPN draft board like sheep and "play it safe" year after year, continuing the endless mediocrity. No thanks.

Just because I do not agree with this particular gamble you think is such a great idea does not mean I am unwilling to take risks in the draft. For example I have advocated taking Trubisky at 3 which is pretty damn risky but IMO a better gamble than Kizer or Watson. I have suggested taking Mahomes in the second round which is a gamble but a gamble with a second round pick not the highest draft pick the Bears have had in decades. Nothing substantial is done in sports or otherwise without risks. I have long advocated for play callers to drop their pussy act and take smart calculated risks. No I do not follow the espn draft board blindly. At 65 years of age I have developed certain traits I look for in certain positions and when I find those I like the guy. In a QB I want intangibles and accuracy first and foremost. In a wideout I want quality hands then lets talk about what else he brings to the table. Certainly the Bears should invest in a QB this draft but I am against squandering an opportunity to draft an elite defender for a QB with red flags galore. You may thinks you are right that the Bears should throw the dice on Kizer or Watson but IMHO you dont know shit and talk a tough game without backing it up with solid evidence your opinion has substance.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Not investing in the QB position seems to be working out really well for us.

That is still not a strong enough justification to possibly squander the best pick the bears have had in decades by passing on an elite defender in a desperate attempt to fix a long time problem even if that problem is the most important one to fix. There are other less risky options than Kizer or Watson at 3 with all of their red flags. At least with Trubisky at 3 he does not bring red flags just and I could live with that gamble. Mahomes or maybe even another QB in the second round is a gamble but much less of a gamble than passing on an elite defender.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just because I do not agree with this particular gamble you think is such a great idea does not mean I am unwilling to take risks in the draft. For example I have advocated taking Trubisky at 3 which is pretty damn risky but IMO a better gamble than Kizer or Watson.

Ok, so we prefer different QBs. Cool story.

Certainly the Bears should invest in a QB this draft but I am against squandering an opportunity to draft an elite defender for a QB with red flags galore.

So you would rather focus on 5-techs and safeties and dumpster dive for the most important position in the game. Great. Personally I'd rather have a crack at a QB I believe has legit impact potential (which is what I see in Kizer and Watson) and compromise on the defender.

I'll repeat an example I've used before: I would rather have Eddie Goldman and a real franchise QB than have Gerald McCoy and a "value" QB every time.

You also have no idea if the defenders are going to be elite. I love how people have this assumption that a QB is definitely going to bust, but if they pick a defender he's somehow guaranteed to be Reggie White or Ronnie Lott.

How smart were the Dolphins to pick the elite Dion Jordan 3rd overall a few years back? Thank goodness for them he was a safe elite defender rather than a QB who might bust.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Ok, so we prefer different QBs. Cool story.

So you would rather focus on 5-techs and safeties and dumpster dive for the most important position in the game. Great. Personally I'd rather have a crack at a QB I believe has legit impact potential (which is what I see in Kizer and Watson) and compromise on the defender.

I'll repeat an example I've used before: I would rather have Eddie Goldman and a real franchise QB than have Gerald McCoy and a "value" QB every time.

Number one I do not believe the Bears should draft a safety at 3 because a guy like Jon Allen or even Garrett can be the final piece to turn the Bears defense into a top 5 unit whereas a top safety is very helpful but is much less likely to transform an entire defense. Your McCoy vs Goldman analogy is really comparing apples to oranges because you are assuming that Watson or Kizer have will be much better QB's than Mahomes or other QB's in this draft. I would rather have Gerald McCoy than Blake Bortles or any other top 5 QB bust that has come down the pike.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Number one I do not believe the Bears should draft a safety at 3 because a guy like Jon Allen or even Garrett can be the final piece to turn the Bears defense into a top 5 unit whereas a top safety is very helpful but is much less likely to transform an entire defense. Your McCoy vs Goldman analogy is really comparing apples to oranges because you are assuming that Watson or Kizer have will be much better QB's than Mahomes or other QB's in this draft. I would rather have Gerald McCoy than Blake Bortles or any other top 5 QB bust that has come down the pike.

:aj: @ the bolded.

And you're assuming that Allen or Garrett will be much better than any other DL in the draft!

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

If I'm assuming that Watson and Kizer are going to be busts, I wouldn't draft them either. I don't assume that, though.

I also think it's laughable that you think Jonathon Allen is the difference between a bottom 5 run defense and a "top 5 unit".

I'll stick with the QB, thanks. It's a deep defensive draft; there will be plenty of talent there in rounds 2 and 3.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
If I'm assuming that Watson and Kizer are going to be busts, I wouldn't draft them either. I don't assume that, though.

I also think it's laughable that you think Jonathon Allen is the difference between a bottom 5 run defense and a "top 5 unit".

I'll stick with the QB, thanks. It's a deep defensive draft; there will be plenty of talent there in rounds 2 and 3.

I am just relieved as hell you are not making the decision who the Bears should draft.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well you can't hit a home run until you swing

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Shea and Fuller picks hurt us more than Grossman. If they pick the wrong guy we will live to pick again. We wont have to give an insane rookie contract as well. I am used to this organization drafting top 20 busts. Outside of Urlacher, Long, and Harris our first round picks have been trash.

Wrong. If the Bears had moved on from Grossman or had not gotten Grossman, they would have done everything possible to get Aaron Rodgers when he started free-falling.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
Why are we over thinking this so much?! I mean...., oh no we are gonna MISS OUT ON JONATHAN ALLEN!?!?!??!!? HEAVEN FORBID!!!!!!

This is the highest we have ever picked and we have literally NEVER had a truly great franchise QB. Grab the sack of what used to be your balls out of your wife's purse and draft a fucking signal caller.

#QBAt3