Why Do Fans Overpay?

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
“Carlos has had a really long track record of success here,” Hoyer told the media . “I think he has a number of more appearances than any other pitcher in baseball over the last four or five years. This team has expected a lot out of him for a number of years and ridden him really hard over the last few years. Some of that has probably taken its toll. His fastball and slider aren’t what they used to be but in part that’s because he’s been really durable and ridden hard by a number of managers here.”

Wow. If you’re keeping score, that’s two “ridden really hard”s and one “his fastball and slider aren’t what they used to be.”

Hey !!!! Where's Dan Haren ?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
“Carlos has had a really long track record of success here,” Hoyer told the media . “I think he has a number of more appearances than any other pitcher in baseball over the last four or five years. This team has expected a lot out of him for a number of years and ridden him really hard over the last few years. Some of that has probably taken its toll. His fastball and slider aren’t what they used to be but in part that’s because he’s been really durable and ridden hard by a number of managers here.”

Wow. If you’re keeping score, that’s two “ridden really hard”s and one “his fastball and slider aren’t what they used to be.”

Hey !!!! Where's Dan Haren ?

Pitching in Washington with a 5.17 ERA...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good thing Marmol is such an improvement over that.

Whew.
Indeed we really dodged a bullet, we clearly would be on track for the postseason with Haren taking the ball every fifth day with the way he is pitching now.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Indeed we really dodged a bullet, we clearly would be on track for the postseason with Haren taking the ball every fifth day with the way he is pitching now.

When did anyone say just Haren would put the team in the playoff hunt? No one?? Never??? Ok. Glad we cleared that up.

Now that we are back on the same page......

What would have more value if they even marginally get themselves back to form at the trade deadline, seeing as the main goal of this season is sadly not to win games but to see what prospects could be added at the deadline, a starting pitcher or a reliever??

This is the start of Marmol's third straight season of struggling.

Zambrano struggled one season and everyone ran him out of town, but god forbid you suggest a player in his third straight season would have been better off being traded.

And spare me the clubhouse cancer pansy stuff. Zambrano went to Miami and no one heard a peep out of him.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
When did anyone say just Haren would put the team in the playoff hunt? No one?? Never??? Ok. Glad we cleared that up.

What would have more value if they even marginally get themselves back to form at the trade deadline, seeing as the main goal of this season is sadly not to win games but to see what prospects could be added at the deadline, a starting pitcher or a reliever??

Zambrano struggled one season and everyone ran him out of town, but god forbid you suggest a player in his third straight season would have been better off being traded.

And spare me the clubhouse cancer pansy stuff. Zambrano went to Miami and no one heard a peep out of him.

Z had 1 year left Marmol didn't until now?

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
And they had a deal in place to deal Marmol with 1 year left.

Thanks.

And it almost happened. Why idk never read into it because it just irritated me, I hate Marmol as much as I hate Z. It was easier to dump Z with 18 mil for 1 year when we pay basically the whole contract rather then pay for 3 years of Marmol for something back. Z was a dump, Marmol was a dump for some other dump that didn't stink as bad as our dump.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And it almost happened. Why idk never read into it because it just irritated me, I hate Marmol as much as I hate Z. It was easier to dump Z with 18 mil for 1 year when we pay basically the whole contract rather then pay for 3 years of Marmol for something back. Z was a dump, Marmol was a dump for some other dump that didn't stink as bad as our dump.

Pay for 3 years of Marmol??

They had a deal in place this for Marmol for the last year of his deal.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pay for 3 years of Marmol??

They had a deal in place this for Marmol for the last year of his deal.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

We've been trying to dump him longer then just 1 year. NOW it's 1 year it was 3 when it started. Hence why it was harder.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
We've been trying to dump him longer then just 1 year. NOW it's 1 year it was 3 when it started. Hence why it was harder.

THEY HAD A DEAL IN PLACE!!!!

wtf????

Are people really this dumb???

Hockey game over. Back to drinking and losing less brain cells.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
like you had any to begin with? We had been trying to get rid of Marmol for 3 years now. We just found a deal for him, because there was 1 year left, it fell through for reasons I don't care to look into anymore. Keep getting mad it's ammusing.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
And I suppose the same anal fairy, that comes to patch up your rectal cavity, is the same fairy that told Marmol he was being traded.

Nobody told Marmol he was being traded. The Cubs had to get his permission to trade him, thanks to yet another Jim Hendry magical no trade clause deal.

But again, Clown Shoes, the Cubs didn't leak the deal, Marmol did!

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Why overpay? Because fans like willrust like to do this, but the real thing at Wrigley.

[video=youtube;bxGZrk8JQDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxGZrk8JQDg[/video]

It's a Committed Cub fan tradition.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Nobody told Marmol he was being traded. The Cubs had to get his permission to trade him, thanks to yet another Jim Hendry magical no trade clause deal.

But again, Clown Shoes, the Cubs didn't leak the deal, Marmol did!

Just wondering who pulled the deal for Marmol off of the table since Jim Hendry was no longer around?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Just wondering who pulled the deal for Marmol off of the table since Jim Hendry was no longer around?

Wonder who pulled the deal off the table when the Cubs has something in place with San Fran for Soriano? Wonder who pulled the deal off the table when Ramirez was on the verge of being shipped out in 2011?

BTW, the Cubs pulled the Marmol/Haren deal off the table because of Haren's medical red flags.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

As you like to say I am going to concern with myself with realistic possibilities. Neither is magically turning themselves into the pitchers they were several years ago.

Remind me where Zambrano is pitching now?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im hungover so I dont feel like looking it up, but Im pretty sure Hoyer took some of the blame for the Marmol leaking it. I remember reading he said that he should have been clear that he had not been traded yet. That ultimately did not end the deal. Also, even though Haren hasnt been great. He still has been better than Marmol. Also, I would bet my left nut that Haren is worth more at the trade deadline then Marmol is going to be for the Cubs. I dont understand axing the deal when you basically just went and signed a guy who had bigger health concerns then Haren. Baker was coming off TJ. I know statistics say they come back, but it is always a risk. At least Haren would be in our rotation. Who knows when Baker will come back or if he will even pitch this year. Theo and them gambled that they had fixed Marmol and could get his value up more but it didnt work out. They should have paid attention for the past 3 years. Im not beating them down for it, but its a head scratcher to me.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Im hungover so I dont feel like looking it up, but Im pretty sure Hoyer took some of the blame for the Marmol leaking it. I remember reading he said that he should have been clear that he had not been traded yet. That ultimately did not end the deal. Also, even though Haren hasnt been great. He still has been better than Marmol. Also, I would bet my left nut that Haren is worth more at the trade deadline then Marmol is going to be for the Cubs. I dont understand axing the deal when you basically just went and signed a guy who had bigger health concerns then Haren. Baker was coming off TJ. I know statistics say they come back, but it is always a risk. At least Haren would be in our rotation. Who knows when Baker will come back or if he will even pitch this year. Theo and them gambled that they had fixed Marmol and could get his value up more but it didnt work out. They should have paid attention for the past 3 years. Im not beating them down for it, but its a head scratcher to me.

Well if they both suck, at least Marmol is in less :lol:

And he probably would have ended up in our rotation, but he hasn't been better this year than Samardzija, Wood, Villanueva, or even Feldman, and Jackson seems like he's locked into a spot for now. Then we have Garza coming back too, plus Baker. I'm not sure he'd end up sticking in the rotation all that long.