Why the hell are you a bears fan?

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
It was the late 70's and I watched a game where Payton ran all over the Vikings and was hooked.

I was at that game with a friend and his dad. 275 yards. I was little but was hooked from there. No way out.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I started watching football in 1984 at 12 and live close to Chicago. How could I not become a fan?!?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My father pretty much made me one. I petty much liked what he did and unfortunately I stuck with the bears

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Watching Payton as a young kid was where my love for the Bears started. He was just so exciting to watch and an all around amazing man. I somehow kept optimism each year through the late 80s and early to mid 90s Bears which was probably just because I was younger and didn't really follow the team management that much but was just excited to see the Bears come back and play each fall. The dominant defense's rise made the late 90s and 2000s epic with some history making games that just made you proud to be a Bears fan and the optimism shifted to hoping that at some point in time we would find that QB and offensive talent that could simply compliment the defense to get us to the promised land. As of late, I find myself still a fan but really struggle with the average, middle of the pack efforts our management and coaches have provided. I don't have nearly the optimism each season as they have just worn me out on it and the moves they make and try to hype up each offseason as solutions ring hollow. I still watch the games but also find myself turning more of them off when we see scoreless quarters and pure inept offenses. I also refuse to spend any money on this franchise at this point but hope that some day soon they build a contender that I eagerly wait for the season to come and actually try to get into a couple games a year again at Soldier Field.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was a kid living on the South Side when the Bears drafted a running back out of Jackson State, and he was a local superstar pretty much immediately. I kept wondering, "Who is this Walter guy? Is he the same as Walterscheid? And who is Eddie?" Anyway, I fell in love with the running back position, and fell in love with the Bears. When I played HS and a year of college ball, I was too fast (and too skinny) to play RB, so I switched to WR. Being a Bears fan back then sucked; the Bears were basically Walter Payton and a bunch of stiffs, so predictably the Bears weren't very good.

I caught what games I could when I moved away from Chicago, but still paid attention from afar.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I was a kid living on the South Side when the Bears drafted a running back out of Jackson State, and he was a local superstar pretty much immediately. I kept wondering, "Who is this Walter guy? Is he the same as Walterscheid? And who is Eddie?" Anyway, I fell in love with the running back position, and fell in love with the Bears. When I played HS and a year of college ball, I was too fast (and too skinny) to play RB, so I switched to WR. Being a Bears fan back then sucked; the Bears were basically Walter Payton and a bunch of stiffs, so predictably the Bears weren't very good.

I caught what games I could when I moved away from Chicago, but still paid attention from afar.

I remember when Johnny Morris announced that the Bears had selected a RB from Jackson State and I knew it was Walter before he said his name.
Nobody bitched about Payton, Payton, Payton, punt. Man, he was so fun to watch.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Grew up in Wisconsin.
My Dad, Redd loves the Pack so I like the Bears.
All my friends get stoned in a circle in my parents basement and he'll come down there amd scream "Eric, cut that noise out"

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the 70s it was something to watch on a Sunday when it was too fucking cold to ride horses. That and we had 5 fucking channels.

freddylamar

Liked Posts:
Bears vs Cowboys 85 season was the first game I ever watched. I was 9 years old when I discovered Walter Payton. Pops bought me a blue Bears hat that next day. Who would've known 36 years later that would still be my highlight of being a Bears fan. Bear down, RIP #34

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Parents split when young. Dad moved to Chicago and sent me Walter Payton stuff and told me to watch the Bears when they come on. My first season watching in my memory was 88.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
I’m a Bears fan because I grew up locally, love football and my entire family are Bears fans.

With that being said if I wasn’t a local, a lifer, and unreasonably loyal, I would never willingly choose misery or pain.

Also after a lifetime of being a Cubs fan and Bulls fan as well (post MJ childhood) I stopped having expectations for any of my favorite teams. In fact I now giggle when they royally screw up.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Bears vs Cowboys 85 season was the first game I ever watched. I was 9 years old when I discovered Walter Payton. Pops bought me a blue Bears hat that next day. Who would've known 36 years later that would still be my highlight of being a Bears fan. Bear down, RIP #34
I was at that lovely thrashing in Dallas (went to college in Louisiana)... so, so cathartic.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was at that lovely thrashing in Dallas (went to college in Louisiana)... so, so cathartic.
That game was an ass-whoopin. It was funny listening to the commentators; at the beginning of the game they were talking about whether Chicago could play with Dallas and how it was going to be a great match-up. At the time Dallas came into that game at 7-3.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Bears made a playoff team look like boys that day lol defense was hungry. the '85 team was interesting mainly cause all those players were characters. the games earlier in the season when the defense hadn't quite come together yet were pretty nuts. they won those games with McMahon, Payton, and Gault and McKinnon. that was the #2 offense, they deserve credit too.

to the original question, I think it's like a genetic thing.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
We lived in the NW burbs and my dad finally got me interested in football around 1984. And no matter where I move, I can't switch teams. Meanwhile that fucker moved to AZ and is now a Cardinals fan. Which makes me root for the Bears even harder.