Will you be disappointed if the Bears trade back with a great prospect on the board?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I really won’t be disappointed if they go WR, OT, DE or DT with the #9 pick. All 4 positions could all be upgraded

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I would not be disappointed if Bears traded back passing on Odunze or Alt.

Because I fairly trust their assessment of talent and bust potential.

But mostly because I could see Bears trading back and still picking up one of Turner, Tatu or Verse. Unless they think all 3 of these guys really suck, I really can't excuse not getting an Edge for their 2nd pick.

Then I'd like to see the Bears use that capital to get a starting Inside Oline talent.

Then just get the best value of either DT or WR.

If the Bears follow your plan they're the same old 40 year losers and Williams should demand a trade or play baseball. Screw us out of that pick if he needs to.

Funny how in a year where offense is BPA that isn't what gets claimed any more. Now it's don't get the BPA we need to support the #1 pick, trade back to get defense. Support the #1 pick with a 5th round value WR who won't ever see more than a couple games if he's lucky.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I'll be disappointed if Da Bears Don't trade down. DE w/the second 1st Rder. Will be happy w/WR. Content w/ Oline. As you all know more depth at WR & Oline in this draft. Get them later. Get a DE w/2nd pick.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If the Bears follow your plan they're the same old 40 year losers and Williams should demand a trade or play baseball. Screw us out of that pick if he needs to.

Funny how in a year where offense is BPA that isn't what gets claimed any more. Now it's don't get the BPA we need to support the #1 pick, trade back to get defense. Support the #1 pick with a 5th round value WR who won't ever see more than a couple games if he's lucky.

I sense you're very motivated to get someone or some position at Pick 9... :unsure:

Who do you want? a WR or LT?

I'm supporting CW by trying to get one of the best G/C in the draft because the worst pass-protector last year was Nate Davis, and if he sucks again this year, the rookie QB will be in trouble.

Maybe you think that's less important than drafting #3 WR for this year? Not only do we have Moore, Allen and Tyler Scott, our new OC used the 12 Personnel (2 TEs) the 2nd most in the league last year. So, were going to see a lot of Kmet and Everett, who are good receivers, plus new RB Swift is a fine receiver.

So, a #3 rookie WR is not likely to get a lot of targets this year. It'd help CW more if we can get a starting quality IOL to replace Davis or Jenkins when he gets injured.

For Edge... I think the Bears are contenders, but they were 29th in sacks last year. And the only decent passrusher they have is Sweat. It's malpractice to not get an Edge with the 2nd pick. It's more important to the team than a #3 receiver for this year.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I sense you're very motivated to get someone or some position at Pick 9... :unsure:

Who do you want? a WR or LT?

I'm supporting CW by trying to get one of the best G/C in the draft because the worst pass-protector last year was Nate Davis, and if he sucks again this year, the rookie QB will be in trouble.

Maybe you think that's less important than drafting #3 WR for this year? Not only do we have Moore, Allen and Tyler Scott, our new OC used the 12 Personnel (2 TEs) the 2nd most in the league last year. So, were going to see a lot of Kmet and Everett, who are good receivers, plus new RB Swift is a fine receiver.

So, a #3 rookie WR is not likely to get a lot of targets this year. It'd help CW more if we can get a starting quality IOL to replace Davis or Jenkins when he gets injured.

For Edge... I think the Bears are contenders, but they were 29th in sacks last year. And the only decent passrusher they have is Sweat. It's malpractice to not get an Edge with the 2nd pick. It's more important to the team than a #3 receiver for this year.

I want a WR that I think will be there. If not one of those the OT. If not that one the TE. If not that one then one of the rushers (who are a reach beyond a long list of OTs BTW). You know, how the big board rankings tend to be laid out (short of the one edge who probably won't be there at 9).

I'm glad a ROOKIE #3 WR wouldn't get a lot of targets this year. I don't want him for this year, I want him for the years beyond this year.

A 32 year old and Tyler Scott is your answer?
I'm playing baseball, you don't even get a chance to recoup the #1. Screw the Bears (if they're still thinking like you). I'm not volunteering to be their 49th busted QB in a row because they don't know how to play football.

The malpractice on defense was keeping Flus. He has 9 talent round players for their positions out of 11 positions on the field and he still can't do anything. 22 talent round players on defense isn't going to fix it.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Probably a little bit but if we trade back and somehow end up with next year's first overall pic would be nice though lol

Rise

Liked Posts:
If we can get something like Verse and Thomas I'd be OK with it.
Verse and the next VJJ I'll be pissed.

Old man Verse is 24 just like old man VJJ was though!

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Old man Verse is 24 just like old man VJJ was though!

VJJ's age was never my issue with drafting him. Reaching 2 rounds for him and then passing him off as doing something for the QB was.
I'm sure Verse is qualified to be drafted around where he's projected just like VJJ was qualified to be drafted in the 5th.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I want a WR that I think will be there. If not one of those the OT. If not that one the TE. If not that one then one of the rushers (who are a reach beyond a long list of OTs BTW). You know, how the big board rankings tend to be laid out (short of the one edge who probably won't be there at 9).

I'm playing baseball, you don't even get a chance to recoup the #1. Screw the Bears (if they're still thinking like you). I'm not volunteering to be their 49th busted QB in a row because they don't know how to play football.
If CW quits the NFL because the Bears didn't get a WR or TE in the first round -- as you give him voice to say -- I think it's best he quits professional sports. That's a cancer that spoils a team, and usually a Johnny Football type casualty. Thankfully, I believe Williams is a light-years more mature than you give him credit.

A 32 year old and Tyler Scott is your answer?
My answer to what?

I'm glad a ROOKIE #3 WR wouldn't get a lot of targets this year. I don't want him for this year, I want him for the years beyond this year.
That "32 year old" is Allen who had 1243 yds, 108 rec and 7 TDs last year. Speedster Scott got next to none targets from Fields, so it's hard to judge his rookie year.

Yes, we're going to need a WR soon to replace Allen. LT and TE are good picks too... it's just considering other higher needs, I'd just assume grab one next year.

The malpractice on defense was keeping Flus. He has 9 talent round players for their positions out of 11 positions on the field and he still can't do anything. 22 talent round players on defense isn't going to fix it.
Last year the Bears defense was:
#1 Run Defense
#2 Interceptions
#12 Yards/Game
#16 Points Scored

That's why Bears kept Flus. No doubt he made some bad game-time decisions, and his "prevent defense" needs to be reassessed, but he put out an effective defense and the players displayed a lot of effort and competitive spirit. Hopefully Flus leaves all offensive decisions to his OC. :beer:

With the acquisition of a second decent passrusher, Bears will improve on 29th worst in sacks. Next to QB, it's the team's top need.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I'm hearing a lot of prognosticators speculating that it's a no-brainer for the Bears to trade back.

If it's there and it works out, cool. But thought exercise:

Let's say the Bears are sitting there at 9, and a guy like Rome Odunze or Joe Alt is still there.

You gonna be pissed if the Bears pass on a guy like that to get a 3rd rounder and move back into the teens?

If Alt or Odunze are tearing it up on their team during the season, you gonna be ok with that, because hey, at least the Bears got a 3rd rounder instead?

I'd be pissed if Alt or Odunze is there.

WR are weird and can go either way. So, if Alt is gone but Odunze is left, I'd give Poles more benefit of the doubt. But if both are there, his picks gained from the trade better be studs or I'd be disappointed.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I'd be pissed if Alt or Odunze is there.

WR are weird and can go either way. So, if Alt is gone but Odunze is left, I'd give Poles more benefit of the doubt. But if both are there, his picks gained from the trade better be studs or I'd be disappointed.
Who would you pick between Alt and Odunze if they were there at #9?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I haven't liked a OL draft pick this much since Quenten Nelson and Trent Williams before him.

The word generational could be used for Alt, IMO.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If CW quits the NFL because the Bears didn't get a WR or TE in the first round -- as you give him voice to say -- I think it's best he quits professional sports. That's a cancer that spoils a team, and usually a Johnny Football type casualty. Thankfully, I believe Williams is a light-years more mature than you give him credit.

My answer to what?

That "32 year old" is Allen who had 1243 yds, 108 rec and 7 TDs last year. Speedster Scott got next to none targets from Fields, so it's hard to judge his rookie year.

Yes, we're going to need a WR soon to replace Allen. LT and TE are good picks too... it's just considering other higher needs, I'd just assume grab one next year.

Last year the Bears defense was:
#1 Run Defense
#2 Interceptions
#12 Yards/Game
#16 Points Scored

That's why Bears kept Flus. No doubt he made some bad game-time decisions, and his "prevent defense" needs to be reassessed, but he put out an effective defense and the players displayed a lot of effort and competitive spirit. Hopefully Flus leaves all offensive decisions to his OC. :beer:

With the acquisition of a second decent passrusher, Bears will improve on 29th worst in sacks. Next to QB, it's the team's top need.

Your thinking is the cancer of the Bears for the last 40 years. Remember you're the one who wants to pass over BPA offense to reach for defense in the same year we draft the #1 QB. That is saying it's the same old Bears where QBs and WRs come to die.
That is why if what you want happens Williams should say no thanks just like Manning said no thanks to the team a big bust said didn't help him succeed. You are not trying to show the Bears have changed, so if what you want to happen happens he should assume they haven't changed and he will never get support here.

And then to make it worse you list the defense as top 1-16 and need them to be better because they weren't the best everywhere on the field.
How did the offense come out? How about trying to make them better for a change?

Your "answer to what" is exactly the problem. You have no clue.
So you're expecting Allen, who's often injured, to work until he's 50?
It doesn't matter what his record is. He is 32 in a career where few work after 35. He's also on a 1 year contract. So you get the rookie now to learn from him. If Allen sticks another year or two having 3 great WRs won't be a problem. But odds are he's on a 1yr contract because he's here for 1yr.

Having the top offense all over the field can wait. The rookie QB can't.
Next to QB is a whole offense that needs work to help that QB other than 1 WR, 1 OT, 1 TE and probably a RB.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Bears' GM traded for a #1 WR last year, and traded for another #1 WR this offseason.

He just acquired a second good TE, and upgraded at RB.

He has drafted an OT with his only 1st round pick.

He is using his #1 pick on a QB.

But if he uses his second pick this year on D it's "same old Bears" focusing only on D?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Your thinking is the cancer of the Bears for the last 40 years. Remember you're the one who wants to pass over BPA offense to reach for defense in the same year we draft the #1 QB. That is saying it's the same old Bears where QBs and WRs come to die.
That is why if what you want happens Williams should say no thanks just like Manning said no thanks to the team a big bust said didn't help him succeed. You are not trying to show the Bears have changed, so if what you want to happen happens he should assume they haven't changed and he will never get support here.

And then to make it worse you list the defense as top 1-16 and need them to be better because they weren't the best everywhere on the field.
How did the offense come out? How about trying to make them better for a change?

Your "answer to what" is exactly the problem. You have no clue.
So you're expecting Allen, who's often injured, to work until he's 50?
It doesn't matter what his record is. He is 32 in a career where few work after 35. He's also on a 1 year contract. So you get the rookie now to learn from him. If Allen sticks another year or two having 3 great WRs won't be a problem. But odds are he's on a 1yr contract because he's here for 1yr.

Having the top offense all over the field can wait. The rookie QB can't.
Next to QB is a whole offense that needs work to help that QB other than 1 WR, 1 OT, 1 TE and probably a RB.
Dido what TL1961 posted:
The Bears' GM traded for a #1 WR last year, and traded for another #1 WR this offseason.

But if he uses his second pick this year on D it's "same old Bears" focusing only on D?
@Myk, yes, the past GMs ignored the QB/OL/WR/TE/RB... but that's not what Poles is doing today. Look at the current roster with CW, and the current team holes, not what was in the past.

I've been diligently pushing for the Bears to get a franchise QB and improve the OL for decades (and get good receivers). I'm not ignoring the offense; I'm setting team priorities.

Which is your top priority? Winning the Superbowl or improving the offense? You can do both, but only one can be the top priority.

I don't know... maybe you only watch the offense and don't care if the Bears win, make the playoffs or win the Superbowl. If that's the case, let me know, then I would totally understand what you're saying.

Like in TL1961's post, the Bears, finally, have invested in the QB/OL/WR/TE/RB, and will do more with this draft, but Poles left a hole on the team: passrusher, and it's required to have a chance at the SB.

Nobody's saying we shouldn't draft a WR, LT or TE... it's just one can't fixate on one thing at the expense of the full team priorities to win the SB this year and keep repeating.

For instance, the Bears just signed RB Swift, and also have Khalil Herbert/Roschon Johnson... why are you suggesting the Bears need a RB this draft? Bears just signed another good passcatching TE and now have Kmet/Gerald Everett. Why are you suggesting Bears need a TE this draft?

Obviously, Poles shouldn't reach on a draft pick. GMs do trade down to get a BPA player that fills a team need. If Poles likes all 3 DEs, he'll likely trade down.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Dido what TL1961 posted:

@Myk, yes, the past GMs ignored the QB/OL/WR/TE/RB... but that's not what Poles is doing today. Look at the current roster with CW, and the current team holes, not what was in the past.

I've been diligently pushing for the Bears to get a franchise QB and improve the OL for decades (and get good receivers). I'm not ignoring the offense; I'm setting team priorities.

Which is your top priority? Winning the Superbowl or improving the offense? You can do both, but only one can be the top priority.

I don't know... maybe you only watch the offense and don't care if the Bears win, make the playoffs or win the Superbowl. If that's the case, let me know, then I would totally understand what you're saying.

Like in TL1961's post, the Bears, finally, have invested in the QB/OL/WR/TE/RB, and will do more with this draft, but Poles left a hole on the team: passrusher, and it's required to have a chance at the SB.

Nobody's saying we shouldn't draft a WR, LT or TE... it's just one can't fixate on one thing at the expense of the full team priorities to win the SB this year and keep repeating.

For instance, the Bears just signed RB Swift, and also have Khalil Herbert/Roschon Johnson... why are you suggesting the Bears need a RB this draft? Bears just signed another good passcatching TE and now have Kmet/Gerald Everett. Why are you suggesting Bears need a TE this draft?

Obviously, Poles shouldn't reach on a draft pick. GMs do trade down to get a BPA player that fills a team need. If Poles likes all 3 DEs, he'll likely trade down.

Read this very slow or have someone read it to you:
You are wanting the Bears to pass over BPA offense at #9 to reach for not BPA defense just because they're there.

What if it's Turner who's available at #9? Then is it OK to take BPA?

It is for me and that is my issue with what you want. We are set to take BPA at 9 no matter who it is short of a QB.

A 32 year old WR on a 1yr contract is not a long term answer.
Poles moves on offense are great but few are long term answers. They're not your signal to say we've only got 9 top talent rounds invested into the defense, we need more.

Hilarious how I've been saying BPA is generally BS and now in a year where the BPA are most likely going to be offense you guys are proving it. I'm OK taking Turner with the #9. You're not OK with taking offense at #9.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Read this very slow or have someone read it to you:
You are wanting the Bears to pass over BPA offense at #9 to reach for not BPA defense just because they're there.
:shifty:

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I’ll take Byron Murphy. Smoke is building around him like it did for wright this time last year. Poles really shouldn’t F the first round up no matter what. If it’s Murphy for Flus in a trade down, then that works for me. Also, to me, desperately need another DE somewhere

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I’ll take Byron Murphy. Smoke is building around him like it did for wright this time last year. Poles really shouldn’t F the first round up no matter what. If it’s Murphy for Flus in a trade down, then that works for me. Also, to me, desperately need another DE somewhere
I wouldn’t mind Murphy at all if it fell that way. Some say we have Dexter and he looked good the last games. Well then great. Now we will have consistent pressure come the inside when one needs a breather. There will be no drop off. Plus with sweat attacking too.

If the draft falls where we can trade back with the raiders, see if we can get Malcom Koonce. The raiders are not going to be able to resign him after this new season since there is big time money tied into Crosby and Wilkinson. They might as well get something for him instead just letting him walk. Dude had 8 sacks, is getting better, and is better than any pass rusher we have, outside of Sweat.